How much did where you went to school impact your job hunt?

I'm curious on how important the school you attend is when you are looking for a job. Do employers care more about where you went to school or abilities and skill? I know in some professions the school is important and that's why I'm curious on what others' experience has been.

Thanks ladies and gents!

I think it's important although some people will argue that it doesn't matter where you went to school. After your first job it probably doesn't matter, but as a new grad with no experience I think the school is very important. If you apply for jobs in the area you went to school the hospitals/clinics will probably already be familiar with the quality of PAs the school graduates. If you apply for jobs not near your school then it definitely helps to have attended a school with a good reputation since the places you apply will not be as familiar with graduates from the program. I went to a very old, well known PA school and applied to jobs both nearby and very far from where it was located. At every interview I went on (and I went on a lot) the physicians/PAs I interviewed with commented (favorably) on the program I attended.

It probably helped a little, although when I was in school I was convinced it wouldn't matter at all.

I went to Rosalind Franklin University and will be starting a really great job in August. I believe that the most important factors in my selection were my interviewing skill and that I had performed very well on a clinical rotation with my future employer. I got the clinical rotation because my school was/is well-established and has hundreds of preceptors in amazing locations across the country. A small but significant percentage of Rosie alumni were working at this place in various departments; they were heavily invested in PA education/teaching and they constantly talked about attending Rosalind. This meant that when I got to my rotation there was already an extremely favorable impression of the school and its graduates.

All I had to do was kill the rotation and wow them in the interview. If I hadn't done the rotation, I think it would have been harder to get an "in" with this place.

The same was true of the other places where I received offers. Impress them during a rotation and then sail through the interview. Even a few places I applied where I had NOT done a rotation were impressed by where I had been.

So I guess my point is that my school allowed me to go to amazing places for rotations and it was a leg up. My own performance determined whether or not I got the job.

I believe that the most important factors in my selection were my interviewing skill and that I had performed very well on a clinical rotation with my future employer.

Yep, that and having a connection at the place you want to work are superior to school in my opinion.

I attended a local school which put me on local rotations. When I started talking to employers who I was interested in working for I found it helpful that the potential employer personally knew the PAs I have been working with on rotation, making the recommendations much more streamlined and personal.

So basically what I'm getting is that the important issue if you want to stay local to the school you attend is that the school have good connections within the community. And if you want to look for employment on a more national level to make sure the school has a good reputation nationally. ie, in Atlanta going to some place like MCG would be good but if I wanted to get a job in another state maybe Emory would be a better school. That sound about right?

So basically what I'm getting is that the important issue if you want to stay local to the school you attend is that the school have good connections within the community. And if you want to look for employment on a more national level to make sure the school has a good reputation nationally. ie, in Atlanta going to some place like MCG would be good but if I wanted to get a job in another state maybe Emory would be a better school. That sound about right?

yup. but if you are a rock star with solid grades and recs you can probably work anywhere even if you went to nowhere u.

I'm going to dissent and say it didn't matter.

I've never had one employer...not one ask me about where I went to school or what my GPA was or what my PANCE score was....not a single one. At least not during the interview process. I've had some physicians ask me later AFTER I was working where I went to school when we were just chatting, but never as prelude to getting a job.

That's been my experience at least. I got more questions about my experience, how would I manage this situation, what would I do in this situation, what have been my biggest challenges, what were my strengths/weaknesses, etc. Describe why I want the job...that kind of stuff. Where I went to school has never been a question.

i do not see it being a big issue for clinical positions. Maybe the first position ? If I was hiring I would certainly look at where someone went to PA school and if it was a program where I have concerns about its ability to educate someone I would delve more into that indiividuals clinical competency during the interview. However, going to a school that has a good reputation could matter for other opportunities i.e teaching, administrative roles .. sectors where pedigree for whatever mix of reasons takes on a larger role.

during interviews for my first job I was asked where I went to school. my first boss got my board scores and commented positively on them. no one ever asked about my gpa but since my degree says "with high honors" on it most folks can probably figure out that my grades were good.

i do not see it being a big issue for clinical positions. Maybe the first position ? If I was hiring I would certainly look at where someone went to PA school and if it was a program where I have concerns about its ability to educate someone I would delve more into that indiividuals clinical competency during the interview. However, going to a school that has a good reputation could matter for other opportunities i.e teaching, administrative roles .. sectors where pedigree for whatever mix of reasons takes on a larger role.

Yeah, I thought about that after I typed the above. I should clarify, for clinical positions, it has never mattered. For research positions, it matters considerably. Where are you from? Who was your mentor? What was your dissertation? etc.etc.

I think where you do your rotations have more of an impact than the program you graduate from. One of my ED rotations was at an inner city academic center and level 1 trauma with pediatric commitment. The other, my elective, was at a community hospital and level 2 trauma center. I was able to complete my 2 family medicine rotations at a primary/urgent center. I also did my thesis on the accuracy of ED PA's performing bedside compression US. I landed a good job working in the ED right out of school.

doesn't matter!

Was honors, and a bunch of other awards....

Never, not even once, asked about it by anyone...... what they did want to know was my license number and DEA.....

I went to an CC that was with a medical college, way cheap tuition, and worth every dime...... Got a Nebraska Masters for < $5k

go to where you can!

Hard to say - my first job was at my main preceptor site, and my main preceptor was connected to the faculty at the program I attended. That said, I have had people make impressed noises at the affiliation of my program with a major medical center. I chose my program because it was close to home and thus allowed me to keep my pre-PA job while going to school, also at the time was cheap tuition for residents.

I also got a Nebraska Masters, and recommend choosing a program that gives you a Masters degree. More options. You'll never wish you had fewer of those.

My overall impression is: choose a program that works for your family and location priorities, hopefully will leave you with less student debt, and leaves you with a Masters at the end.

Alicia,

I am having a hard time understanding your post. The choice of the word "issue" and the phrase "no encounter" puzzle me.

Unlike other majors, there is not a well-accepted rating system for PA programs. By and large, employers like the ones they know. Where you went to school matters if the employer knows the school, has precepted students from there before, etc. Otherwise I stand by my comment. I suspect that one's rotations are more important.

I think it's essential although some individuals will claim that it doesn't issue where you went to university. After your first job it probably doesn't issue, but as a new graduate with no encounter I think the university is very essential.

Fixed for standard english:

Although some will claim that it doesn't matter which university you attend, I think it's essential to pick a top school. After your first job it probably will not matter, but as a new graduate with no experience, I think choosing good university is essential.

Russian:

Хотя некоторые из них утверждают, что это не имеет значения, в какой университет вы посещаете, я думаю, очень важно, чтобы выбрать лучших школ. После вашей первой работе, которую, вероятно, не будет иметь значения, но, как новых выпускников, не имеющих опыта, я думаю, что надлежащее университет имеет важное значение.

Nawllns Jive:

Yo, dawg, betta pick dat school rite. Some fools mite say it don't matta, but you dumb broke *** fixen to be workin fo charity fo minimum wage if you go you to sum ghetto *** school.

Fixed for standard english:

Nawllns Jive:

Yo, dawg, betta pick dat school rite. Some fools mite say it don't matta, but you dumb broke *** fixen to be workin fo charity fo minimum wage if you go you to sum ghetto *** school.

Really? This is "Nawllns Jive"?

Really? This is "Nawllns Jive"?

I didn't know what else to call the new orleans dialect that I grew up speaking. Since I grew up there and used to speak like that until moving away and learning a foreign language, I'll assume I'm "allowed" to make fun of it. For those of you imagining it sounding like some kind of racist bull****, google new orleans accent an you will get the correct intent.

Also frequently used where I grew up: looka (as in looka at dat boat), axe (letmee axe you a question), theived (bro, dat dood done thieved my bike)

Archived