Joining the AAPA....Is It Worth It?

AAPA is also a chance to assume leadership positions and network. PAFT is run by a number of well respected PAs and is going to do good things for the profession. However, they have a different focus than AAPA. They are (as I understand it) an advocacy group for the PA profession. .....

Exactly.

AAPA focus, strangely, is not PA advocacy.. It is AAPA advocacy.. And they fail to understand the distinction.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AAPA is also a chance to assume leadership positions and network. PAFT is run by a number of well respected PAs and is going to do good things for the profession. However, they have a different focus than AAPA. They are (as I understand it) an advocacy group for the PA profession. .....

Exactly.

AAPA focus, strangely, is not PA advocacy.. It is AAPA advocacy.. And they fail to understand the distinction.

in my opinion AAPA needs to not only promote the PA Profession ... but also healthcare on a whole, PA education, PA academics/research. I agree the AAPA has some faults but there are a lot of subtly and indirect benefits the AAPA generated for the PA Profession. Just one example is the AAPA has about 20+ PAs that represent the group at medical association meetings throughout the US. AMA and other prominent groups. This increases PA visibility and conversation. Such a large PA based group with a lot of reach and an established infrastructure should not be shunned... rather supported and changed. 5 small PAFT type groups will potentially accomplish less than 1 imperfect large AAPA group in my opinion. And with a fragmented PA community we are in trouble. Especially with SATURATION of the profession on the horizon.

in my opinion AAPA needs to not only promote the PA Profession ... but also healthcare on a whole, PA education, PA academics/research. I agree the AAPA has some faults but there are a lot of subtly and indirect benefits the AAPA generated for the PA Profession. Just one example is the AAPA has about 20+ PAs that represent the group at medical association meetings throughout the US. AMA and other prominent groups. This increases PA visibility and conversation. Such a large PA based group with a lot of reach and an established infrastructure should not be shunned... rather supported and changed. 5 small PAFT type groups will potentially accomplish less than 1 imperfect large AAPA group in my opinion. And with a fragmented PA community we are in trouble. Especially with SATURATION of the profession on the horizon.

This yr marks my 34th yr as a PA. At one time, especially during the '80, AAPA was a strong advocacy group when there were battles to be fought for the very existence of PAs in many states and helping gain prescriptive rights. But somewhere along the way their focus changed and they became what they are today. They became non responsive to the concerns of PAs in the trenches who see patients day in and day out and became more concerned with things far removed and of little concern to the work a day clinical PA. It became difficult to even get them to even ans. an email. Other than sponsoring a huge conf. every yr I don't see them doing much. I let my membership lapse about 2 yrs ago since I felt they no longer were responsive to my views or represented my interests. Just one PA's opinion.

This yr marks my 34th yr as a PA. At one time, especially during the '80, AAPA was a strong advocacy group when there were battles to be fought for the very existence of PAs in many states and helping gain prescriptive rights. But somewhere along the way their focus changed and they became what they are today. They became non responsive to the concerns of PAs in the trenches who see patients day in and day out and became more concerned with things far removed and of little concern to the work a day clinical PA. It became difficult to even get them to even ans. an email. Other than sponsoring a huge conf. every yr I don't see them doing much. I let my membership lapse about 2 yrs ago since I felt they no longer were responsive to my views or represented my interests. Just one PA's opinion.

I appreciate what you all are saying. I've been a member since I started thinking about being a PA in 1997. My theory is that other disciplines have their big national group and, if we fragment and don't support one for us, then we may very well be at a disadvantage. On the other hand, I plan to join PAFT as well. The AAPA needs to change and I hope that can be done from the inside somehow.

I appreciate what you all are saying. I've been a member since I started thinking about being a PA in 1997. My theory is that other disciplines have their big national group and, if we fragment and don't support one for us, then we may very well be at a disadvantage. On the other hand, I plan to join PAFT as well. The AAPA needs to change and I hope that can be done from the inside somehow.

Just speaking for me, I am a CAPA member and PAFT member. I don't get a fat stipend from my practice to join every pa association. Still I am reticent on joining them because of what was stated above by our more *ahem* "seasoned" brethren.... :D

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2

Just speaking for me, I am a CAPA member and PAFT member. I don't get a fat stipend from my practice to join every pa association. Still I am reticent on joining them because of what was stated above by our more *ahem* "seasoned" brethren.... :D

my work pays for aapa. they have refused to pay for anything else so since it's a free bennie for me I take it. I would have to think long and hard about doing it if I had to pay for it myself...probably still would...what I don't join is my state org. they are entirely focused on primary care and could care less about anyone who practices any specialty.

my work pays for aapa. they have refused to pay for anything else so since it's a free bennie for me I take it. I would have to think long and hard about doing it if I had to pay for it myself...probably still would...what I don't join is my state org. they are entirely focused on primary care and could care less about anyone who practices any specialty.

Archived