Joining the AAPA....Is It Worth It?

I wrote to my state legislator. He's a great guy, wrote me back, had a lot of good things to say about my desire to just make sure "Physician Associate" gets included among the protected terms under state law, so nobody who isn't a licensed, qualified PA can use that title. Sure, this would be a step toward getting the alternative title accepted someday, but in the here and now it's about making sure no one else uses it.

He said it sounded like a slam-dunk. I agreed. He said the lobbyist who works for our state PA academy is someone he knows already. I said cool...

And then, the issue was dead. My rep was surprised, but says state politics does this with some regularity: an issue that seems easy, logical, and no big deal turns out to somehow get onto someone's turf issues.

I also wrote to my state academy; they said they polled their members, and they don't want a name change, so they oppose it. They said I should join.

So the question for me now is this: if I do join, will I be a part of changing the minds of those members, and eventually opening the door to changing public perception of our role? Or, like the AAPA, would they perhaps stay entrenched even if the members voiced a desire to change?

So,

What is the status of the name becoming proprietary? One of your goals was to tm the name... Why would the academy be against that? As I understand it, you were not lobbying FOR the name change, just to protect the associate name in case, at a later date, you DID change it.

So where was the threat to the membership?

I think the academy just doesn't want it.

Go back to the legislature, re-propose the name protection.l. This issue should NOT. Require academy approval.

Hell, just to see what happens, maybe you should make it so that any movement to change the name needs your personal approval!!! ( not serious)

Poll your fellow PAs.. See how many are for or against the name change.. If 100 %. Are against it.. Then we have some work to do.

If 100% are for ( or not opposed) to the name change, then the academy is toeing the AAPA line, and rigged the vote.

In my opinion, that is.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wrote to my state legislator. He's a great guy, wrote me back, had a lot of good things to say about my desire to just make sure "Physician Associate" gets included among the protected terms under state law, so nobody who isn't a licensed, qualified PA can use that title. Sure, this would be a step toward getting the alternative title accepted someday, but in the here and now it's about making sure no one else uses it.

He said it sounded like a slam-dunk. I agreed. He said the lobbyist who works for our state PA academy is someone he knows already. I said cool...

And then, the issue was dead. My rep was surprised, but says state politics does this with some regularity: an issue that seems easy, logical, and no big deal turns out to somehow get onto someone's turf issues.

I also wrote to my state academy; they said they polled their members, and they don't want a name change, so they oppose it. They said I should join.

So the question for me now is this: if I do join, will I be a part of changing the minds of those members, and eventually opening the door to changing public perception of our role? Or, like the AAPA, would they perhaps stay entrenched even if the members voiced a desire to change?

So,

What is the status of the name becoming proprietary? One of your goals was to tm the name... Why would the academy be against that? As I understand it, you were not lobbying FOR the name change, just to protect the associate name in case, at a later date, you DID change it.

Go back to the legislature, re-propose the name protection.l. This issue should NOT. Require academy approval.

Hell, just to see what happens, maybe you should make it so that any movement to change the name needs your personal approval!!! ( not serious)

Poll your fellow PAs.. See how many are for or against the name change.. If 100 %. Are against it.. Then we have some work to do.

If 100% are for ( or not opposed) to the name change, then the academy is toeing the AAPA line, and rigged the vote.

In my opinion, that is.

So,

In my opinion, that is.

'Less than 25% of all PAs practicing in Ohio and only 37% of the PAs practicing in the country are members of the Academy, yet 100% of all PA benefit from those PA who choose to join these professional association. And these numbers have been steadily dropping over the past 10 years despite a 50% increase in the population and the profession during that same time. My message to PAs new to the profession is that you are “shooting yourselves in the foot” by your complacency and lack of participation not only in the Academy but also your state organization. The individuals who have been responsible for establishing the underpinnings of this profession will soon be retiring in great numbers and if we don't start seeing younger PAs stepping up to the plate to take over for these individuals I feel everything that you have now could be in great jeopardy."

*I use the term "youth" as an easy word to describe PAs and PA students within the past few years. As a 40 year old starting my third career, I do not defer to a chronological age.

Surely the AAPA, OAPA, and all state associations who suffer from low enrollment have asked the question "why?". What was the answer that they came up with? Are the organizations really blaming apathy and disenfranchised PAs?

Do you truly believe that the gloom and doom of "you are shooting yourself in the foot" is an effective recruiting phrase? Do you truly believe that the youth of today have no desire to push their profession any further? Or could it be that the youth see the organizations as patronizing with comments like "you just don't understand" or "in my day, things were rough". Could it be that when the younger generation come up with an idea the feedback they receive is "We've already tried that and it failed" or "we don't have the time/resources/political climate/right environment to implement that idea". Could it be that the seasoned PAs who head these organizations are so entrenched in their ideology that their own trail blazing is the only acceptable method of getting anywhere?

The youth of yesteryear had a blank slate and charged forward, creating the current system. Now, as senior providers, they are asking today's youth to join an organization that achieved it's current position under dated tenements. Why would the youth of today want to join a group, that by it's own admission, is wilting away? Why would the youth of today want to join an organization that is seen as ineffective, passive, spending more time trying to justify it's existence on things that they achieved 10 years ago? Heck, 10 years ago, a lot of the new PAs were still trying to figure out who to ask to the Prom. That was a life time ago.

Like it or not, Today's generation wants to build upon what has been established, not re hash how great the things are that have been done. You may see it as disrespectful or short sighted, or whatever you want but the youth of today see that mentality of reveling in the past with the same view that we look at the 60 year old who was the quarterback for the State High School playoffs 45 years ago. We think "that's awesome...what have you done since then?"

Believe me, I mean no disrespect to the AAPA. I volunteered to be the student rep for my class and gave up my time right before finals to attend the conference. I wanted to see what it was all about. What I saw was 90% of the legislative time spent debating the name change....the stories I heard around the banquet table was all the same..."same thing happens every year". Well that's just silly..one might even say "insane".

The AAPA is in the position and has the ability to grab the attention of Congress, to grab the attention of the American public. Why does the phrase "same thing nurse practitioners do" educate the public so easily? Why are nurse practitioners not explaining their role as "same thing PAs do but with a few more restrictions in crossing medical specialties"?

I realize that my rant is off from the OP's original question...my apologies but I appreciate the opportunity to vent.

E, next time we meet I'll have a check for you. My paypal account is all messed up.

'Less than 25% of all PAs practicing in Ohio and only 37% of the PAs practicing in the country are members of the Academy, yet 100% of all PA benefit from those PA who choose to join these professional association. And these numbers have been steadily dropping over the past 10 years despite a 50% increase in the population and the profession during that same time. My message to PAs new to the profession is that you are “shooting yourselves in the foot” by your complacency and lack of participation not only in the Academy but also your state organization. The individuals who have been responsible for establishing the underpinnings of this profession will soon be retiring in great numbers and if we don't start seeing younger PAs stepping up to the plate to take over for these individuals I feel everything that you have now could be in great jeopardy."

*I use the term "youth" as an easy word to describe PAs and PA students within the past few years. As a 40 year old starting my third career, I do not defer to a chronological age.

Surely the AAPA, OAPA, and all state associations who suffer from low enrollment have asked the question "why?". What was the answer that they came up with? Are the organizations really blaming apathy and disenfranchised PAs?

Do you truly believe that the gloom and doom of "you are shooting yourself in the foot" is an effective recruiting phrase? Do you truly believe that the youth of today have no desire to push their profession any further? Or could it be that the youth see the organizations as patronizing with comments like "you just don't understand" or "in my day, things were rough". Could it be that when the younger generation come up with an idea the feedback they receive is "We've already tried that and it failed" or "we don't have the time/resources/political climate/right environment to implement that idea". Could it be that the seasoned PAs who head these organizations are so entrenched in their ideology that their own trail blazing is the only acceptable method of getting anywhere?

The youth of yesteryear had a blank slate and charged forward, creating the current system. Now, as senior providers, they are asking today's youth to join an organization that achieved it's current position under dated tenements. Why would the youth of today want to join a group, that by it's own admission, is wilting away? Why would the youth of today want to join an organization that is seen as ineffective, passive, spending more time trying to justify it's existence on things that they achieved 10 years ago? Heck, 10 years ago, a lot of the new PAs were still trying to figure out who to ask to the Prom. That was a life time ago.

Like it or not, Today's generation wants to build upon what has been established, not re hash how great the things are that have been done. You may see it as disrespectful or short sighted, or whatever you want but the youth of today see that mentality of reveling in the past with the same view that we look at the 60 year old who was the quarterback for the State High School playoffs 45 years ago. We think "that's awesome...what have you done since then?"

Believe me, I mean no disrespect to the AAPA. I volunteered to be the student rep for my class and gave up my time right before finals to attend the conference. I wanted to see what it was all about. What I saw was 90% of the legislative time spent debating the name change....the stories I heard around the banquet table was all the same..."same thing happens every year". Well that's just silly..one might even say "insane".

The AAPA is in the position and has the ability to grab the attention of Congress, to grab the attention of the American public. Why does the phrase "same thing nurse practitioners do" educate the public so easily? Why are nurse practitioners not explaining their role as "same thing PAs do but with a few more restrictions in crossing medical specialties"?

I realize that my rant is off from the OP's original question...my apologies but I appreciate the opportunity to vent.

E, next time we meet I'll have a check for you. My paypal account is all messed up.

Awesome post Steve. Great points.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2

Your "rant" wasn't off post at all. It should be read by everyone in the AAPA and state PA leadership positions.

Your "rant" wasn't off post at all. It should be read by everyone in the AAPA and state PA leadership positions.

Great post. I'd like to add something in regards to new PAs. PA students and newly graduated PAs are some of the most ambitious, hard working and motivated people I have seen in my life. I wish the AAPA would delegate some leading roles to them on certain issues and see what happens.

Great post. I'd like to add something in regards to new PAs. PA students and newly graduated PAs are some of the most ambitious, hard working and motivated people I have seen in my life. I wish the AAPA would delegate some leading roles to them on certain issues and see what happens.

Just Steve excellent points.

I pay for all professional memberships out of my pocket. This year I let my 3 year AAPA membership lapse and just joined PAFT. Very disappointed regarding the name change and other issues outlined above. Will also join my state organization this year.

I pay for all professional memberships out of my pocket. This year I let my 3 year AAPA membership lapse and just joined PAFT. Very disappointed regarding the name change and other issues outlined above. Will also join my state organization this year.

GREEN,

I have been involved in the AAPAs committees and leadership since 1985 and I can assure you with no doubt that I've never been involved on a committee, council, work group or task force that didn't have considerable involvement with PAs that are new to the profession. Every one of these groups were I was either a member or chair also always had a representative from the student. That is what leadership development is all about.Everyone was required to be a member of the Academy. I noticed that you are a student, the upcoming AAPA annual conference is being held in Washington DC May 25th through 30th, if you have the opportunity you should try to attend. I think you get a much better understanding of the Academy by networking with PAs and PA students that might give you an opposite opinion of what you have been reading on this forum. I am attending that meeting and would be more than glad to meet with you and introduce you to many of the fine leaders in the Academy.

GREEN,

I have been involved in the AAPAs committees and leadership since 1985 and I can assure you with no doubt that I've never been involved on a committee, council, work group or task force that didn't have considerable involvement with PAs that are new to the profession. Every one of these groups were I was either a member or chair also always had a representative from the student. That is what leadership development is all about.Everyone was required to be a member of the Academy. I noticed that you are a student, the upcoming AAPA annual conference is being held in Washington DC May 25th through 30th, if you have the opportunity you should try to attend. I think you get a much better understanding of the Academy by networking with PAs and PA students that might give you an opposite opinion of what you have been reading on this forum. I am attending that meeting and would be more than glad to meet with you and introduce you to many of the fine leaders in the Academy.

GREEN,

It is important to belong to a PA organization. I belong to the WI academy, PAFT and AFPPA all of whom I believe better represent my local and immediate interests. Even if a PA is not intimately involved in their state PA association they can still write letters to their congressmen, representative, state boards, etc. regarding the state issues. Doing this as a cohesive force and as a member of a state org. helps to show the powers that be that PAs are interested in their profession. So get involved in the organization(s) of your choice. Listen carefully to the issues. Look at your own practice and see if there is anything that prohibits you from practice. Talk to your local employers on how to improve your practice rights or lift artificial barriers that they may have placed on you. When AAPA sends out email blasts about a national issue that needs us to respond to our representatives, do it. Even if you are not a member of AAPA you can still advocate for the profession and respond to these issues. I have taken time to write personal letters to Karen Bass regarding the HITECH act (and maybe that is why she is sponsoring a bill to correct it?....haha...I am probably giving myself too much credit....but one never knows....she may have gotten lots of letters!) I am in the process of writing letters to my governmental organization that oversees my clinic in a broad capacity since they are at the point of trying wanting to have more input and collaboration at the local level. So I am being proactive.

Get involved and do not be apathetic about your career.

Great points Paula, thank you.

It is important to belong to a PA organization. I belong to the WI academy, PAFT and AFPPA all of whom I believe better represent my local and immediate interests. Even if a PA is not intimately involved in their state PA association they can still write letters to their congressmen, representative, state boards, etc. regarding the state issues. Doing this as a cohesive force and as a member of a state org. helps to show the powers that be that PAs are interested in their profession. So get involved in the organization(s) of your choice. Listen carefully to the issues. Look at your own practice and see if there is anything that prohibits you from practice. Talk to your local employers on how to improve your practice rights or lift artificial barriers that they may have placed on you. When AAPA sends out email blasts about a national issue that needs us to respond to our representatives, do it. Even if you are not a member of AAPA you can still advocate for the profession and respond to these issues. I have taken time to write personal letters to Karen Bass regarding the HITECH act (and maybe that is why she is sponsoring a bill to correct it?....haha...I am probably giving myself too much credit....but one never knows....she may have gotten lots of letters!) I am in the process of writing letters to my governmental organization that oversees my clinic in a broad capacity since they are at the point of trying wanting to have more input and collaboration at the local level. So I am being proactive.

So my question is: what are you actually doing to further the profession? Give me some specific examples, as opposed to broad statements and I'll join. I promise.

UGoLong briefly touched on what I been doing( thank you for the kind words).Maverick87, to answer your question,I had spent thousands of hours of my free time, mostly at my own expense, working on both state and national issues.But I am only one individual of many individuals whose involvement has been responsible for expanding our scope of practice through lobbying legislators, physician organizations, medical regulatory agencies and health care administrators. The Academy supplied Ohio with enormous resources when we had our legislative efforts in 2006 to gain prescriptive privileges and again in 2012 to obtain schedule II authority. The Academy has granted the Ohio association over $100,000 in funds to accomplish our goals. They have also help us with e-mail blast we've requested of our membership to contact their legislators asking them for support. The Academy had staff members come to Ohio to give testimony on behalf of the profession and also lobbied the medical board. The Academy's vice president and Dir. of reimbursement ( Michael Powe) has been to Ohio numerous time to meet with medical mutual and other third-party insurance provider to get them to change their policies on PA reimbursement. He has given reimbursement seminars to hospital administrators, coders and private practice office staff to insure these groups are understood all PA reimbursement policy. I could expand on more but I don't think it's necessary at this point.

Besides the issue of title change, what issues would you like your state organization or the Academy to address, or what issues do you think these 2 organizations have not been addressing to your satisfaction? I would be more than glad to talk to you off the forum so I can further encourage you to join. Send me a private message and I will send you my phone number. Thank you

Archived