Joining the AAPA....Is It Worth It?

Hey all.

I'm a pretty new PA and I'm wondering whether or not it's worth it to join the AAPA. I'm in the military and don't really need the salary census at this time. To be honest, it seems pretty expensive ($275) and not particularly worth it (based on what I've seen on the site and what I've read here).

So what do you all think?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey all.

I'm a pretty new PA and I'm wondering whether or not it's worth it to join the AAPA. I'm in the military and don't really need the salary census at this time. To be honest, it seems pretty expensive ($275) and not particularly worth it (based on what I've seen on the site and what I've read here).

Hey all.

Short answer: NO!

Save your money. Join PAFT, and let them represent you with AAPA.

I have been a PA for almost 40 years and can count ON ONE OR TWO FINGERS the times that they have really helped us trencher PAs.

Others might say how they work behind the scenes.. But my day to day existence as a pa has be bereft of AAPA help.

They consistently do not respond to members desires... And, if those desires run contrary to what they feel is " the right path" for PAs, they just insert their opinion over the members'

Can i be more clear?

I have been a PA for almost 40 years and can count ON ONE OR TWO FINGERS the times that they have really helped us trencher PAs.

Others might say how they work behind the scenes.. But my day to day existence as a pa has be bereft of AAPA help.

They consistently do not respond to members desires... And, if those desires run contrary to what they feel is " the right path" for PAs, they just insert their opinion over the members'

Can i be more clear?

Can i be more clear?

AAPA is the best bet at promoting PA Profession. AAPA is also a chance to assume leadership positions and network. PAFT is run by a number of well respected PAs and is going to do good things for the profession. However, they have a different focus than AAPA. They are (as I understand it) an advocacy group for the PA profession. Which is VERY important. They are not a group looking to influence non PA health policy, improve diversity in medicine, promote PA research, etc. If you can afford it... JOIN BOTH.

AAPA is the best bet at promoting PA Profession. AAPA is also a chance to assume leadership positions and network. PAFT is run by a number of well respected PAs and is going to do good things for the profession. However, they have a different focus than AAPA. They are (as I understand it) an advocacy group for the PA profession. Which is VERY important. They are not a group looking to influence non PA health policy, improve diversity in medicine, promote PA research, etc. If you can afford it... JOIN BOTH.

AAPA is also a chance to assume leadership positions and network. PAFT is run by a number of well respected PAs and is going to do good things for the profession. However, they have a different focus than AAPA. They are (as I understand it) an advocacy group for the PA profession. .....

Exactly.

AAPA focus, strangely, is not PA advocacy.. It is AAPA advocacy.. And they fail to understand the distinction.

Archived