Joining the AAPA....Is It Worth It?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if work pays - yes

if out of own pocket - maybe

BUT join PAFT!

AAPA does fight some battles, and they are pretty bad about saying what these are, they do help sometimes...... sometimes are neutral

overall not a great agency, but it is all we have for a national agency and we are sort of stuck with them

having said that, if everyone stopped joining for even 6 months they would cease to exist and have to listen to membership.......

if work pays - yes

BUT join PAFT!

AAPA does fight some battles, and they are pretty bad about saying what these are, they do help sometimes...... sometimes are neutral

overall not a great agency, but it is all we have for a national agency and we are sort of stuck with them

having said that, if everyone stopped joining for even 6 months they would cease to exist and have to listen to membership.......

if work pays - yes

BUT join PAFT!

Maverick 87,

Thank you for asking this question, one that I think every new PA should be asking. Unfortunately, you've asked this question on a forum that for the most part is overwhelmingly anti-AAPA. Many of the individuals who are dissatisfied or feel disenfranchised because of the proceed lack of action by the Academy as of late may have legitimate reasons that I might not contest, but over the long history of this profession we would not be we are today if not for the strong advocacy and actions of the Academy. As the incoming president of the Ohio association I have great concerns that individuals like yourself are choosing not to join either the Academy or their state association. Less than 25% of all PAs practicing in Ohio and only 37% of the PAs practicing in the country are members of the Academy, yet 100% of all PA benefit from those PA who choose to join these professional association. And these numbers have been steadily dropping over the past 10 years despite a 50% increase in the population and the profession during that same time. My message to PAs new to the profession is that you are “shooting yourselves in the foot” by your complacency and lack of participation not only in the Academy but also your state organization. The individuals who have been responsible for establishing the underpinnings of this profession will soon be retiring in great numbers and if we don't start seeing younger PAs stepping up to the plate to take over for these individuals I feel everything that you have now could be in great jeopardy.

The $275 membership dues for the Academy is a relatively small amount considering that the average PA annual income is nearly $90,000. Those dues not only provide you with a salary survey but helped to pay for the Academy to advocate for you for reimbursement, scope of practice issues and promoting the profession, along with providing many services and support of the state constituent organization. Depending upon what state you practice in, those average dues being approximately $150, that state organization advocates for you to work with legislators and regulatory agencies to improve your scope of practice. So you should ask yourself, is spending $425 annually worth securing your annual income and the future of the profession.

Many of the individuals who responded to your post have suggested not joining the Academy but rather have you support the PAFT. The PAFT is a newly created organization within the last year and has not had the opportunity to establish themselves as a legitimate representation of the profession by the majority of the profession and/or recognized by any organization outside of the profession. The Academy has granted them recognition within the Academy as a special interest group because PAFT has agreed to work with the Academy to advocate for the profession. Joining this organization would be no different than joining any other specialty PA organization, caucus or special interest group. If you agree with their goals and objectives, as stated on their website, I encourage you to also join this group. Although I would discourage you from making this your only choice for professional membership.

Regardless of the negative opinions on this forum towards the Academy, the Academy is the recognize voice and representative of the profession and I encourage you to seriously consider joining both the Academy and your state organization so they might continue to advocate on your behalf and help secure the future of our profession.

Maverick 87,

Thank you for asking this question, one that I think every new PA should be asking. Unfortunately, you've asked this question on a forum that for the most part is overwhelmingly anti-AAPA. Many of the individuals who are dissatisfied or feel disenfranchised because of the proceed lack of action by the Academy as of late may have legitimate reasons that I might not contest, but over the long history of this profession we would not be we are today if not for the strong advocacy and actions of the Academy. As the incoming president of the Ohio association I have great concerns that individuals like yourself are choosing not to join either the Academy or their state association. Less than 25% of all PAs practicing in Ohio and only 37% of the PAs practicing in the country are members of the Academy, yet 100% of all PA benefit from those PA who choose to join these professional association. And these numbers have been steadily dropping over the past 10 years despite a 50% increase in the population and the profession during that same time. My message to PAs new to the profession is that you are “shooting yourselves in the foot” by your complacency and lack of participation not only in the Academy but also your state organization. The individuals who have been responsible for establishing the underpinnings of this profession will soon be retiring in great numbers and if we don't start seeing younger PAs stepping up to the plate to take over for these individuals I feel everything that you have now could be in great jeopardy.

The $275 membership dues for the Academy is a relatively small amount considering that the average PA annual income is nearly $90,000. Those dues not only provide you with a salary survey but helped to pay for the Academy to advocate for you for reimbursement, scope of practice issues and promoting the profession, along with providing many services and support of the state constituent organization. Depending upon what state you practice in, those average dues being approximately $150, that state organization advocates for you to work with legislators and regulatory agencies to improve your scope of practice. So you should ask yourself, is spending $425 annually worth securing your annual income and the future of the profession.

Many of the individuals who responded to your post have suggested not joining the Academy but rather have you support the PAFT. The PAFT is a newly created organization within the last year and has not had the opportunity to establish themselves as a legitimate representation of the profession by the majority of the profession and/or recognized by any organization outside of the profession. The Academy has granted them recognition within the Academy as a special interest group because PAFT has agreed to work with the Academy to advocate for the profession. Joining this organization would be no different than joining any other specialty PA organization, caucus or special interest group. If you agree with their goals and objectives, as stated on their website, I encourage you to also join this group. Although I would discourage you from making this your only choice for professional membership.

Regardless of the negative opinions on this forum towards the Academy, the Academy is the recognize voice and representative of the profession and I encourage you to seriously consider joining both the Academy and your state organization so they might continue to advocate on your behalf and help secure the future of our profession.

Maverick 87,

Well spoken and argued.

We disagree you and I, but I have no problem with a point, counter point approach so to balance the decision making...

I do disagree with your premise tat it is due to the AAPA that salaries have risen.. When I started, te salary was less than $6/ hr.,

It has risen to my current of almost $90/ hr due to my efforts, my establishing local norms in many places which had never had a PA, and my willingness to walk away from salaries I thought were too low.

The aapa had NOTHING to do with this.

In fact, the aapa has done very little for the individual PA,,

The otginization has done a lot to feather its own nest, and reached the tipping point where it spends more time justifying itself than actually trying to help trend setters. Like mike jones, who sorely might have used a "national organization" with some weight behind it in his fight with insurance companies...

It is, by default, the recognized voice of the profession... Unfortunately it uses it's voice to speak for itself, and no longer speaks for the members of the profession...

Your position is a good one, but you are recruiting members to an organization which desires to dictate to the membership a corporate philosophy... Regardless of whether the membership wants or agrees with that philosophy.

The National voice should not be different than that of the membership.

I would ask potential members to review the dreaded name change debate, and the nonsensical AAPA response and actions...

It is, after all, that debate out of which the name change committee and subsequentially PAFT were born.

And where was the AAPA in real fighting against the nurses lobby(s) in Mississippi and California...

Under the AAPA, the PA profession has had its clock rung by the NP organizations ( " but we are so little, we don't have any power!").

The. AAPA Has consistently been accommodating and placating to the NP organization, not representing the majority of the PA members which considers the NP s as our political and professional enemies, .

The AAPA Has for 30 years had a " let's all get along" approach with the one organization which has step by step and almost state by state become the "mlp" of choice and legislation; the AANP.... Frankly the AAPA has neither backbone nor balls enough to lay down claims and declare territory for its members..

The real voice of the organization has become the NCCPA, which is setting standards nationally regardless of what the AAPA desires..

PAFT is only a reconized associate (there is that pesky word gain) of AAPA by PAFT choice... Not necessity...

Frankly, the PAFT will do more for members, and will take on opposing organizations, one hell of a lot quicker than the AAPA.

I appreciate your recruitment efforts and arguments.

I will concede, if they have the money, each new PA should join at least for a year.

And, at the end of the year, look back and see just what, really, that membership got them.. Other than a bunch of rah rah rhetoric

Just my opinion.

Well spoken and argued.

We disagree you and I, but I have no problem with a point, counter point approach so to balance the decision making...

I do disagree with your premise tat it is due to the AAPA that salaries have risen.. When I started, te salary was less than $6/ hr.,

It has risen to my current of almost $90/ hr due to my efforts, my establishing local norms in many places which had never had a PA, and my willingness to walk away from salaries I thought were too low.

The otginization has done a lot to feather its own nest, and reached the tipping point where it spends more time justifying itself than actually trying to help trend setters. Like mike jones, who sorely might have used a "national organization" with some weight behind it in his fight with insurance companies...

It is, by default, the recognized voice of the profession... Unfortunately it uses it's voice to speak for itself, and no longer speaks for the members of the profession...

Your position is a good one, but you are recruiting members to an organization which desires to dictate to the membership a corporate philosophy... Regardless of whether the membership wants or agrees with that philosophy.

I would ask potential members to review the dreaded name change debate, and the nonsensical AAPA response and actions...

It is, after all, that debate out of which the name change committee and subsequentially PAFT were born.

And where was the AAPA in real fighting against the nurses lobby(s) in Mississippi and California...

Under the AAPA, the PA profession has had its clock rung by the NP organizations ( " but we are so little, we don't have any power!").

The. AAPA Has consistently been accommodating and placating to the NP organization, not representing the majority of the PA members which considers the NP s as our political and professional enemies, .

The AAPA Has for 30 years had a " let's all get along" approach with the one organization which has step by step and almost state by state become the "mlp" of choice and legislation; the AANP.... Frankly the AAPA has neither backbone nor balls enough to lay down claims and declare territory for its members..

The real voice of the organization has become the NCCPA, which is setting standards nationally regardless of what the AAPA desires..

PAFT is only a reconized associate (there is that pesky word gain) of AAPA by PAFT choice... Not necessity...

Frankly, the PAFT will do more for members, and will take on opposing organizations, one hell of a lot quicker than the AAPA.

I will concede, if they have the money, each new PA should join at least for a year.

And, at the end of the year, look back and see just what, really, that membership got them.. Other than a bunch of rah rah rhetoric

Just my opinion.

Well spoken and argued.

Just my opinion.

Maverick 87,

RC Davis made a bunch of good points and arguments.

The NP profession seems to be overtaking the PA profession. What has the AAPA done to halt this?

Also, this entire post basically just says "We're awesome. We do a lot (but not saying what you actually do). $275 isn't that much. So join us!" It sounds very contrived.

Obviously, there's a reason that 63% of the PA population is not part of the AAPA. If most PAs saw a benefit of joining, then the majority of PAs WOULD join, no?

So my question is: what are you actually doing to further the profession? Give me some specific examples, as opposed to broad statements and I'll join. I promise.

Maverick 87,

The NP profession seems to be overtaking the PA profession. What has the AAPA done to halt this?

Also, this entire post basically just says "We're awesome. We do a lot (but not saying what you actually do). $275 isn't that much. So join us!" It sounds very contrived.

Obviously, there's a reason that 63% of the PA population is not part of the AAPA. If most PAs saw a benefit of joining, then the majority of PAs WOULD join, no?

So my question is: what are you actually doing to further the profession? Give me some specific examples, as opposed to broad statements and I'll join. I promise.

Maverick 87,

I appreciate both sides of the argument here as put forward by maverick and rcdavis, as well as jdtpac. I also have met jdtpac, although I haven’t spoken with him in a while. He played a huge part, working with the OAPA, in getting the current PA practice law through the legislature in Ohio and for that all of us here are grateful. I also admire him for all that he has personally overcome in life and for the role he continues to play, in spite of his personal challenges.

A lot has changed in practice in not so many years. Physicians are now mostly employees of corporations and their desire to supervise PAs (or anyone else) has likely diminished. Laws written 10 years ago now don’t adequately provide us with the ability to compete with NPs in many areas. As long as the professions are treated differently by different laws and different controlling boards, there will likely be issues.

I believe we need to focus on the issues and that work rules are much more important to our future than our name. (Call us “KFC” instead of “Kentucky Fried Chicken,” I really don’t care.) I’ve also had supervisors all of my life. It’s not a big deal. What is, however, is the state telling him exactly how he has to supervise me. Even the astronauts who circled around to the back side of the moon had supervisors, but they could take whatever action they needed to when out of radio contact. In the 21st century, why does my supervisor have to be within 60 minutes of my location when I can call or text him literally anywhere in the world? An NP just has to have “reasonable” contact. Just another PA work rule that puts us at a competitive disadvantage and one that we need our organizations help to resolve.

I will be joining the PAFT, but I also will stay a member of AAPA and OAPA. State organizations probably do a better job listening to their members -- and changing state laws -- because they are closer to the grass roots and to legislators who can change the laws. Still, we need bigger voices to help, not ones that are getting smaller because we PAs are choosing to withhold our support from our own organizations.

We need to have more PAs join more organizations, no matter which one(s) they choose. And then to hold these organizations accountable. Voting with our feet is not a good idea just now.

I appreciate both sides of the argument here as put forward by maverick and rcdavis, as well as jdtpac. I also have met jdtpac, although I haven’t spoken with him in a while. He played a huge part, working with the OAPA, in getting the current PA practice law through the legislature in Ohio and for that all of us here are grateful. I also admire him for all that he has personally overcome in life and for the role he continues to play, in spite of his personal challenges.

A lot has changed in practice in not so many years. Physicians are now mostly employees of corporations and their desire to supervise PAs (or anyone else) has likely diminished. Laws written 10 years ago now don’t adequately provide us with the ability to compete with NPs in many areas. As long as the professions are treated differently by different laws and different controlling boards, there will likely be issues.

I believe we need to focus on the issues and that work rules are much more important to our future than our name. (Call us “KFC” instead of “Kentucky Fried Chicken,” I really don’t care.) I’ve also had supervisors all of my life. It’s not a big deal. What is, however, is the state telling him exactly how he has to supervise me. Even the astronauts who circled around to the back side of the moon had supervisors, but they could take whatever action they needed to when out of radio contact. In the 21st century, why does my supervisor have to be within 60 minutes of my location when I can call or text him literally anywhere in the world? An NP just has to have “reasonable” contact. Just another PA work rule that puts us at a competitive disadvantage and one that we need our organizations help to resolve.

I will be joining the PAFT, but I also will stay a member of AAPA and OAPA. State organizations probably do a better job listening to their members -- and changing state laws -- because they are closer to the grass roots and to legislators who can change the laws. Still, we need bigger voices to help, not ones that are getting smaller because we PAs are choosing to withhold our support from our own organizations.

We need to have more PAs join more organizations, no matter which one(s) they choose. And then to hold these organizations accountable. Voting with our feet is not a good idea just now.

Guest Paula

It is important to belong to a PA organization. I belong to the WI academy, PAFT and AFPPA all of whom I believe better represent my local and immediate interests. Even if a PA is not intimately involved in their state PA association they can still write letters to their congressmen, representative, state boards, etc. regarding the state issues. Doing this as a cohesive force and as a member of a state org. helps to show the powers that be that PAs are interested in their profession. So get involved in the organization(s) of your choice. Listen carefully to the issues. Look at your own practice and see if there is anything that prohibits you from practice. Talk to your local employers on how to improve your practice rights or lift artificial barriers that they may have placed on you. When AAPA sends out email blasts about a national issue that needs us to respond to our representatives, do it. Even if you are not a member of AAPA you can still advocate for the profession and respond to these issues. I have taken time to write personal letters to Karen Bass regarding the HITECH act (and maybe that is why she is sponsoring a bill to correct it?....haha...I am probably giving myself too much credit....but one never knows....she may have gotten lots of letters!) I am in the process of writing letters to my governmental organization that oversees my clinic in a broad capacity since they are at the point of trying wanting to have more input and collaboration at the local level. So I am being proactive.

Get involved and do not be apathetic about your career.

Guest Paula

It is important to belong to a PA organization. I belong to the WI academy, PAFT and AFPPA all of whom I believe better represent my local and immediate interests. Even if a PA is not intimately involved in their state PA association they can still write letters to their congressmen, representative, state boards, etc. regarding the state issues. Doing this as a cohesive force and as a member of a state org. helps to show the powers that be that PAs are interested in their profession. So get involved in the organization(s) of your choice. Listen carefully to the issues. Look at your own practice and see if there is anything that prohibits you from practice. Talk to your local employers on how to improve your practice rights or lift artificial barriers that they may have placed on you. When AAPA sends out email blasts about a national issue that needs us to respond to our representatives, do it. Even if you are not a member of AAPA you can still advocate for the profession and respond to these issues. I have taken time to write personal letters to Karen Bass regarding the HITECH act (and maybe that is why she is sponsoring a bill to correct it?....haha...I am probably giving myself too much credit....but one never knows....she may have gotten lots of letters!) I am in the process of writing letters to my governmental organization that oversees my clinic in a broad capacity since they are at the point of trying wanting to have more input and collaboration at the local level. So I am being proactive.

Guest Paula

I wrote to my state legislator. He's a great guy, wrote me back, had a lot of good things to say about my desire to just make sure "Physician Associate" gets included among the protected terms under state law, so nobody who isn't a licensed, qualified PA can use that title. Sure, this would be a step toward getting the alternative title accepted someday, but in the here and now it's about making sure no one else uses it.

He said it sounded like a slam-dunk. I agreed. He said the lobbyist who works for our state PA academy is someone he knows already. I said cool...

And then, the issue was dead. My rep was surprised, but says state politics does this with some regularity: an issue that seems easy, logical, and no big deal turns out to somehow get onto someone's turf issues.

I also wrote to my state academy; they said they polled their members, and they don't want a name change, so they oppose it. They said I should join.

So the question for me now is this: if I do join, will I be a part of changing the minds of those members, and eventually opening the door to changing public perception of our role? Or, like the AAPA, would they perhaps stay entrenched even if the members voiced a desire to change?

I wrote to my state legislator. He's a great guy, wrote me back, had a lot of good things to say about my desire to just make sure "Physician Associate" gets included among the protected terms under state law, so nobody who isn't a licensed, qualified PA can use that title. Sure, this would be a step toward getting the alternative title accepted someday, but in the here and now it's about making sure no one else uses it.

He said it sounded like a slam-dunk. I agreed. He said the lobbyist who works for our state PA academy is someone he knows already. I said cool...

And then, the issue was dead. My rep was surprised, but says state politics does this with some regularity: an issue that seems easy, logical, and no big deal turns out to somehow get onto someone's turf issues.

I also wrote to my state academy; they said they polled their members, and they don't want a name change, so they oppose it. They said I should join.

So the question for me now is this: if I do join, will I be a part of changing the minds of those members, and eventually opening the door to changing public perception of our role? Or, like the AAPA, would they perhaps stay entrenched even if the members voiced a desire to change?

Archived