Having my eyes on the prize. Helped me be very enthusiastic during interview and keeps me going now during this very difficult year. I am sure experience and grades didn't hurt

• Administrator

I had a 3.98 "Last 30" GPA, a rocking sGPA (mostly because I only had 10 semester hours of 3.0 science from my original undergrad, all the rest were 4.0 prerequisites), great GRE, international medical experience. My 2000 hours as an EMT-Basic were run of the mill for my class.

Pink bow tie and my mohawk

seriously, in my program, I am run of the mill, middle of the pack. I just got lucky.

It had to have been my "Eruption" guitar solo I performed mid-interview.

But honestly, I'm pretty sure they dialed the wrong number. Or it was my charming personality and boyish good looks. No, Definitely the former.

I think what stands out for those that get accepted is an understanding of what they're about to embark on, and applying their experiences/attributes to help make up a small piece of an amazing cohort. Most everybody can get the grades, hce, etc...but not everybody is fun to work with. Show them that you're a good person to be around, and that by choosing you they'll be selecting a great representative for the program and the profession.

To be honest, I got caught staring out the window while another applicant was answering a question, cracked my knuckles incessantly (despite chanting, "Don't crack your knuckles, don't crack your knuckles," to myself on the drive up - it's a nervous habit), and sweating profusely as I got into a verbal duel with one of the interviewers as he challenged my ethical decision making during a scenario of, "Your SP shows up to work drunk. What do you do?"

I have no idea why they picked me. I'm just glad I graduated on the first attempt.

Andrew

I've never interviewed for PA school, but I firmly believe that any job interview I receive is one I'm going to knock out of the park. I believe I'm very personable and I can typically come up with the answers people want to hear, whether that's good or not. While that usually gets me in the door, I think my work ethic solidifies a companies decision to hire me. I really think interviews are geared, as someone stated, for managers/admissions that are looking for a combination of compatibility and competency. Obviously the better you can prove both the better chance you have at being hired or admitted.

No idea really. They had positive comments on my HCE. Nothing much to say (positive or negative) about my GPA's which were pretty average for most PA applicants. I think they really liked my PS....kept quoting it during interviews, that was common factor.

I had zero problems with the interviews. Things like that don't really bother me. I smiled, answered questions, joked around when I thought something was funny. I purposely didn't rehears...I "shot from the hip". I interviewed at a school that is in my home town (which I will be attending) and I told them that my Mom may or may not come after them if I didn't get in. They laughed....I got in.

Sooo, long story short....I think the interviews sealed the deal, but I don't know what got me in the door....stats/PS/HCE.

I agree, the essay/narrative is the best way to stand out from the 1000+ applicants initially (and good HCE and shadowing hours to even get them to read your narrative).. And then once you get an interview, being personable goes a long way.

I agree, the essay/narrative is the best way to stand out from the 1000+ applicants initially (and good HCE and shadowing hours to even get them to read your narrative).. And then once you get an interview, being personable goes a long way.

Archived