DeSales vs Drexel? Please help with pros and cons

as a drexel grad I can tell you that they have one of the best lists of rotation sites in the country. I was able to do peds em, trauma surgery, etc

lots of folks were able to create a "specialty emphasis " by choosing their selectives in such a way that many were in the same general field( someone interested in peds in my class did peds surgery for their surgical rotation and peds em for em, etc). they have many more rotations than students which is the polar opposite of many programs which struggle to find sites for all of their students....that's one of the big advantages of going to a 40 + yr old program...

as a drexel grad I can tell you that they have one of the best lists of rotation sites in the country. I was able to do peds em, trauma surgery, etc

lots of folks were able to create a "specialty emphasis " by choosing their selectives in such a way that many were in the same general field( someone interested in peds in my class did peds surgery for their surgical rotation and peds em for em, etc). they have many more rotations than students which is the polar opposite of many programs which struggle to find sites for all of their students....that's one of the big advantages of going to a 40 + yr old program...

Drexel!! (because I go here).It is HARD but you learn your stuff. They really push you to your limits, in a good way. Also I just got my top choice for rotations, so I agree with EMEDPA :)

Drexel!! (because I go here).It is HARD but you learn your stuff. They really push you to your limits, in a good way. Also I just got my top choice for rotations, so I agree with EMEDPA :)

I'm a current DeSales Student, so I can speak to that side. I've really loved the school thus far - it's challenging, but obviously you're going to get that anywhere.

The faculty are extremely accessible, and the program has an excellent reputation in the Lehigh Valley - there are tons of DeSales grads around for mentorship and to 'look out' for you on rotations.

In my opinion, the two major advantages of our program are these:

1). The Gambet Center - we just moved in a few weeks ago and the building is absolutely stellar - a pretty huge step up from the basement we've been in the last 16 years. (You probably weren't able to see it when you did your tour here - if you're in the area, it is WORTH seeing - pretty incredible.) Plus, you'll have your cadaver lab on site, brand new H&P rooms, simulation rooms with ICU, infant/ child, and birth simulation, a mock office with a waiting room to perform your practical exams, all of which are on closed circuit TVs to review your performance.

Having come directly from a basement for the first 7 months of PA school, I can tell you that having a nice place to spend your days in class makes a huge difference.

2). As DeSales students, we start going on 1/2 day rotations every Friday starting the second week of school. I've been to surgery, trauma, ER, children's ER, pediatrics, primary care, autopsy, cardiology, nephrology, etc. etc. I'm going into the cardiac cath lab on Friday. Not only do you get to start practicing new skills and patient interaction, notes, etc., but you actually get to GET AWAY FROM SCHOOL AND SEE PATIENTS.. These rotations have helped me keep my sanity over the past two semesters - they are with out a doubt the highlight of my classroom week.

We also have 100% pass rates on the PANCE (and a large portion of the grads last year got perfect scores) - you definitely will not have to worry about passing your boards as a DeSales student - no disrespect to anyone else, just speaking about my own program.

Either one is a good choice. You're right, DeSales is NOT in a city, and it's not going to be as diverse as a Philly school. Having moved to this area from DC, I was concerned about that as well. I will say though, that my classmates are incredible people and I'm really lucky to have them - they make it all manageable.

Try to make up your mind soon though - I'm sure there's a huge line behind you for both schools and someone is going to be really happy that they get your spot.

I'm a current DeSales Student, so I can speak to that side. I've really loved the school thus far - it's challenging, but obviously you're going to get that anywhere.

The faculty are extremely accessible, and the program has an excellent reputation in the Lehigh Valley - there are tons of DeSales grads around for mentorship and to 'look out' for you on rotations.

In my opinion, the two major advantages of our program are these:

1). The Gambet Center - we just moved in a few weeks ago and the building is absolutely stellar - a pretty huge step up from the basement we've been in the last 16 years. (You probably weren't able to see it when you did your tour here - if you're in the area, it is WORTH seeing - pretty incredible.) Plus, you'll have your cadaver lab on site, brand new H&P rooms, simulation rooms with ICU, infant/ child, and birth simulation, a mock office with a waiting room to perform your practical exams, all of which are on closed circuit TVs to review your performance.

Having come directly from a basement for the first 7 months of PA school, I can tell you that having a nice place to spend your days in class makes a huge difference.

2). As DeSales students, we start going on 1/2 day rotations every Friday starting the second week of school. I've been to surgery, trauma, ER, children's ER, pediatrics, primary care, autopsy, cardiology, nephrology, etc. etc. I'm going into the cardiac cath lab on Friday. Not only do you get to start practicing new skills and patient interaction, notes, etc., but you actually get to GET AWAY FROM SCHOOL AND SEE PATIENTS.. These rotations have helped me keep my sanity over the past two semesters - they are with out a doubt the highlight of my classroom week.

We also have 100% pass rates on the PANCE (and a large portion of the grads last year got perfect scores) - you definitely will not have to worry about passing your boards as a DeSales student - no disrespect to anyone else, just speaking about my own program.

Either one is a good choice. You're right, DeSales is NOT in a city, and it's not going to be as diverse as a Philly school. Having moved to this area from DC, I was concerned about that as well. I will say though, that my classmates are incredible people and I'm really lucky to have them - they make it all manageable.

Try to make up your mind soon though - I'm sure there's a huge line behind you for both schools and someone is going to be really happy that they get your spot.

Archived