CA PAs-- Average #of pts seen daily in family practice setting?

Depends on the practice. The HMOs like Kaiser seem to really push their PAs. Some of the large groups like Molina can expect you to see large numbers and then there are the out and out MediCal mills. But after all is said and done seeing 25-30/day is probably avg.

I see about 14, but I also have medical home stuff to do--telephone, email, etc.--and I only code a 99212 about once a week.

They don't have you on 15-20 min appointments yet?...they are known for that....lots of folks who work for them are seeing 24-32...and the medical home stuff gets done during the unpaid lunch and before and after work off the clock....

• Administrator
They don't have you on 15-20 min appointments yet?...they are known for that....lots of folks who work for them are seeing 24-32...and the medical home stuff gets done during the unpaid lunch and before and after work off the clock....

Medical home model is 14 a day with up to 2 overbooks, so I'm at "full productivity", at least as far as they're telling me now.

Medical home model is 14 a day with up to 2 overbooks, so I'm at "full productivity", at least as far as they're telling me now.

hope so. other friends of mine currently working in fp there(well, at their more southern partner group) are seeing 24-32/day and doing all their paperwork/emails/etc before/after work and during lunch.

16/day would be a sweet schedule. hope it stays that way for you.

hope so. other friends of mine currently working in fp there(well, at their more southern partner group) are seeing 24-32/day and doing all their paperwork/emails/etc before/after work and during lunch.

Yes, I either usually stay an hour after or come an hour before. I get paid well, so I don't mind.

I'm not in CA; rather MA and also in a medical home. 14/day is right on target for me as well. 16 if super busy. Even with these low numbers, I'm charting through lunch at my desk and come in early/leave late/work from home.

It would be impossible to see 20-30 in this model because of both the complexity of our population and work generated both during visit and after. For instance, we screen everyone at every visit for depression and domestic violence. If you ask these questions, you have to follow-up on the answers. So an easy UTI visit could/has easily turn into UTI, and I'm also being abused/suicidal/depressed.

Hopefully healthcare in the future will compensate based on quality metrics like HgA1c, blood pressure, and ED usage, which is where we strive, as opposed to fee for service.

Archived