Does Anyone Else Find this MD's opinion of the PA infuriating?

Fair enough, I agree. To me it seemed slightly disparaging in terms of how he just lumped PAs with nurses, and techs etc etc. then saying PAs ONLY a required to do two years of school... without really explaining how rigorous the training is. Maybe it's because I'm in the middle of my first year right now getting murdered on a daily basis... Thanks for the opinion.

Since you guys put it out there...

Could one of you PLEASE explain the nuances involved with the above statements/remarks to the ever increasing gaggle of "kiddies" here without the contextual experience necessary to filter and under/OVERstand what is being said...????

Nah, c, if it needs to be explained, well, it ain't worth it..

The increasing gaggle will either figure it out, or sink with the realization that a lot of what Kevin said is true,because they don't have the counterbalance of experience with which to temper those opinions.

And, IMHO, Clark's phraseology was underSTATED. Which of course is the grandest element of good humor...

Since you guys put it out there...

Could one of you PLEASE explain the nuances involved with the above statements/remarks to the ever increasing gaggle of "kiddies" here without the contextual experience necessary to filter and under/OVERstand what is being said...????

Contrarian - it would be great if every once in a while you could just offer helpful insight without being a total, sarcastic, arrogant d*ck. As a student, I am clearly in the nascent stages of my career, and the people who understand the "NUANCES" and have the "Contextual Experience" I do not yet have are the people I am asking. If you are this obnoxious in the real world I can't imagine you have many friends. I would love to meet you sometime and see how quick you are to call me a "kiddie". For those of you with honest, respectful answers, I appreciate the feedback.

Contrarian - it would be great if every once in a while you could just offer helpful insight without being a total, sarcastic, arrogant d*ck. As a student, I am clearly in the nascent stages of my career, and the people who understand the "NUANCES" and have the "Contextual Experience" I do not yet have are the people I am asking. If you are this obnoxious in the real world I can't imagine you have many friends. I would love to meet you sometime and see how quick you are to call me a "kiddie". For those of you with honest, respectful answers, I appreciate the feedback.

kiddie...

My response was directed SQUARELY at the "pre-PAs" being admitted with NO healthcare experience who are expecting to take "Medical Terminology" IN PA school.

Those who fit this... read here also, and have NO WAY of understanding the conversation (starting at post #9-#11) without ever having read a radiology report or interacted with a radiologist.

Soooo... If YOU fit that.. then I was referring to YOU... if you don't then I can't really see what YOUR beef is. Your response to a post that may/or may not have been directed at you firmly plants YOU in the "Kiddie" realm.

As for meeting me in Person... just let me know where ya at... and next time I'm near, I'll give you a call cause the "posturing" and veiled threat also indicates immaturity KID.

kiddie...

My response was directed SQUARELY at the "pre-PAs" being admitted with NO healthcare experience who are expecting to take "Medical Terminology" IN PA school.

Those who fit this... read here also, and have NO WAY of understanding the conversation (starting at post #9-#11) without ever having read a radiology report or interacted with a radiologist.

Soooo... If YOU fit that.. then I was referring to YOU... if you don't then I can't really see what YOUR beef is. Your response to a post that may/or may not have been directed at you firmly plants YOU in the "Kiddie" realm.

As for meeting me in Person... just let me know where ya at... and next time I'm near, I'll give you a call cause the "posturing" and veiled threat also indicates immaturity KID.

oh boy there goes C again...

hate to say it C but he has a point - knowledge transmission from older PA's to newer less experienced PA's is the name of the game and a game we all should be proud to play...

so - Radiologist tend to never actually declare anything, they typically say it might look like A but could be B, or maybe C

Then the final kicker is when they drum up more business for themselves by adding the famous "would recommend (insert any expensive radiology test here) if clinically questions remain" or something like this that takes away our ability to decide the next step - try talking a patient of of getting an MRI arthogram of a shoulder (for 2 weeks of pain with no loss of function) after the Rad report has that......

The one that recently REALLY pissed me off to the point of filing a complaint is when the rads picked up on one of the newest recommendation that for very small subset of smokers low dose annual CT MIGHT be a screening tool and were putting that "according to 'such+such' guidelines low dose annual CT can be used to detect lung cancer and should be considered on appropriate patients"

They were putting this on every CXR that had a clinical hx of smoker (our EMR put Dx on orders) - borderline malpractice in my eyes as it encourages patients to undergo more radiation exposure, procedures and expense in spite of the fact the rad never saw the patient- only lasted a few weeks before they suddenly stopped putting that on the reports (as if they have any right to tell me what to order on my patients.....)

oh yeah all the while RADS typically start at 250-300k per year, with 12 weeks of vacation as the norm and typically a profit share on top of that......

oh boy there goes C again...

hate to say it C but he has a point - knowledge transmission from older PA's to newer less experienced PA's is the name of the game and a game we all should be proud to play...

Really...???

Do YOU have a case of the DumbA$$ also...???

Re Read what I wrote and stop "band-wagoning"...

My initial post in this thread was asking (CAdamsPAC, True Anomoly and Jen0508) to EXPLAIN what they were alluding to with their cryptic statements to the uninitiated here. I was especially asking them to clarify what they meant SPECIFICALLY to those here (NEVER WORKED WITH A RADIOLOGIST, NEVER READ A RADIOLOGY REPORT) who were Pre-PAs...

So as for your "knowledge transmission" spiel... that is EXACTLY what I asked the aforementioned PA-Cs to do...!!

Tell the pre-PAs with NO contextual experience who are reading this forum what happens in radiology and how the rest of us have to deal with it.

Then the "Mitch" who wrote the original post got A$$ sore... and now as is typical... you half read, or half understand so YOU jump right on... :heheh:

When really all you needed to do was respond with whats below since that is exactly what I was hoping happen with my initial post in this thread.

so - Radiologist tend to never actually declare anything, they typically say it might look like A but could be B, or maybe C

Then the final kicker is when they drum up more business for themselves by adding the famous "would recommend (insert any expensive radiology test here) if clinically questions remain" or something like this that takes away our ability to decide the next step - try talking a patient of of getting an MRI arthogram of a shoulder (for 2 weeks of pain with no loss of function) after the Rad report has that......

Geesh...

Ok Contrarian, if you're going to be a complete, pompous pr*ck then you should probably make sure you really clearly specify who you are addressing. I don't see you make reference to Pre-PAs or Posts #9-11 in that comment, so I guess I was just supposed to somehow read your mind and know that's who you were talking to?? As far as age goes, you're right, in your eyes I'm probably a "KID" (although I'm not sure a 30 year old Marine veteran of 2 combat tours to Iraq qualifies), and in my eyes you're a crusty, old douche-bag who probably never gets laid. I'm sure you've been a PA for an eternity and have many years of amazing experiences that you could impart on us "kiddies" in a constructive and helpful way. And I would have loved to hear what you have to say. Instead you choose to sit there at your computer and be an a$$hole because it's clear that acting this way fills a void you have in your life. And as far as the "posturing" goes, I promise it's not posturing, and it's certainly not a threat. You know and I know we will never meet in person, which gives you the liberty to say and act however you want. If we ever did meet, I would probably look at you, get a good laugh, and walk away. I certainly wouldn't want to go to jail for the rest of my life for beating you to death. However, if you conduct yourself like this in reality, one day you'll open your mouth and say one of your "hilarious", witty, BRILLIANT one-liners to the wrong person and actually get your face renovated. I really hope you just act this way on here because it's a source of entertainment for you. Either way, eat sh*t.

Impression: bla bla bla bla. Could be due to A, B, C, D or E. Could be acute or chronic, age indeterminate. Could be an anatomical varient. However, study limited due to motion artifact / bowel gas / inadequate contrast / patient positioning (pick one). Consider repeat study. Or MRI. Clinical correlation.

:=Z:

Impression: bla bla bla bla. Could be due to A, B, C, D or E. Could be acute or chronic, age indeterminate. Could be an anatomical varient. However, study limited due to motion artifact / bowel gas / inadequate contrast / patient positioning (pick one). Consider repeat study. Or MRI. Clinical correlation.

ADDITIONALLY, keeping this patient with severe abdominal pain NPO for 6 hrs and repeating study with 4 hr PO and IV prep could improve visualization of the appendix which I am unwilling to comment on in the absence of said contrast....

ADDITIONALLY, keeping this patient with severe abdominal pain NPO for 6 hrs and repeating study with 4 hr PO and IV prep could improve visualization of the appendix which I am unwilling to comment on in the absence of said contrast....

Man, y'all have some weenie radiologists in your hospital. If I do a non-con CT, I can at LEAST get a ruling on the appendix

kiddie...

Would that be decorticate or decerebrate?

Man, y'all have some weenie radiologists in your hospital. If I do a non-con CT, I can at LEAST get a ruling on the appendix

Agree.. They can at least comment on stranding and size...

Hey e-, wanna get their attention? When they say that they want a 4 hour prep, stop the study and simply order an abdominal MRI, citing an inability to get surgical opinion ( whole other issue) without definitive imaging, and the need to get an image done in a reasonable length of time..

Ok Contrarian, ... I don't see you make reference to Pre-PAs or Posts #9-11 in that comment, so I guess I was just supposed to somehow read your mind and know that's who you were talking to?? ... blah...bLAh... BLAH....

NO... "Mitch"...!!!

Its simple...

You were suppose to think about the statement and then determine if it applied to YOU...

If it did... then wait for someone to respond with the answer I asked for...

If it didn't (because you understood the issues they were alluding to) ... then simply smile and move on to the next entry...

Sort of like when you were between combat tours and someone started talking about "Boots"... You ignored it because it no longer applied to you.

Instead.... you soiled yourself then got offended.

Then started in with the Uber Marine nonsense.

Whatever dude...!!!

As for your "2 Iraq combat tours"... BTDT... in uniform and as a security contractor....Thanks for YOUR service...!!!

And as to whether or not we will ever meet... maybe, since I travel a LOT and over the years, have met at least 30folks from this very Forum.

PM the city/town/region/12 digit Grid Coordinates... and I promise you that when I'm near, I'll let you know.

Otherwise... if YOU don't like what I have to say... GO STUDY and let it go...MITCH

Impression: bla bla bla bla. Could be due to A, B, C, D or E. Could be acute or chronic, age indeterminate. Could be an anatomical variant. However, study limited due to motion artifact / bowel gas / inadequate contrast / patient positioning (pick one). Consider repeat study. Or MRI. Clinical correlation.

Well my professional PA Brothers & Sisters may appreciate the dig at the OP's source burr under his saddle.........I have met far too Rads who won't commit to a DX or study without a god awful lot of hums and haws on top of maybes and consider another study later. We practitioners are in the spotlight to make a decision and act upon the results of the studies we order, then these folks low ball us with ......maybe. Even worse is the on call PGY 2 resident covering the house at 2 AM needs "to run it by my attending" and will get back with you! I am a minimalist and truly like a good Hx coupled with a good PE , SUPPORTED by various diagnostic studies. But in today's realm the "hedging" by the Rads can become a PIA if not an impediment to advancing......D/C, Admit, OR !

"C" I love you man , I think some folks can't separate your posts from being the male appendage versus a prompt to incite critical thinking or being the Devil's advocate. I hope these folks can learn and appreciate the subtle difference.We on the job, know that it's being able to pick up and work out the subtle findings to make the correct decisions is the hallmark of a good clinician.

Archived