Discouraged New Grad

Hello, I'm currently a new graduate that has been applying for two months and interviewing for one. I've had about 10+ phone calls/interviews but for some reason, none of them are panning out (I've applied to about 80 positions thus far). All of the ones I wish would pick me, deny me and the ones I don't have an interest in, offer me some WEIRD position, I'll list a few down below to give insight on what I did deny. All in all, I know two months is nothing but in the grand scheme of things, I have to start paying back my loan in September and I'm newly married and would like (need) to  contribute to my family income. Does anyone have any advice about CVs, interview tips/follow up, or overall encouragement? I feel burnout from getting rejections from the places that I'd really like to join--I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

• Pain management: basically no training, 30-40 patients a day
  • Pain Management ("Car accident Functional Evaluations"): solo provider, one week training to do trigger point inj, prescribe NSAIDs, and diagnose
  • Primary Care: 40% gross patient pay seeing up to 10 patients, no base salary
  • New local SNF: solo provider, wide range of acuity, 18 patients, trained by a physician who will eventually leave 
  • New local Urgent Care: may or may not hire experienced APPs with me and concluded to go with NPs instead of PAs
  • Body Details (lol)

Who denied ME

• ENT position - new grad friendly 
  • Functional medicine clinic ran by chriropracter 
  • 2 primary care positions - both new grad friendly (currently awaiting news about a third one)

Contact your clinical sites if that’s feasible and see if they have openings. If not, find out why those new grad friendly jobs denied you and improve on it for the next interviews. Looks like you’re aiming mostly for primary care, not sure why they’re being picky since is primary care and there’s a big shortage. But you can try hospital systems and do HM or ER; there’s always a shortage and you’ll have training vs a small office with less support. 

also, why work at a functional clinic run by a chiropractor? They can’t be your SP. you probably want a good handle on medicine before jumping into that stuff.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

On 7/5/2023 at 10:46 PM, iconic said:

What is it that you are wanting to do? It seems like you are applying for everything out there, but places want to hire providers that are interested in the speciality

Also, please don't work for a chiropractor 

I really love primary care/family medicine. but for some reason Florida doesn't seem to have too many of those opportunities open for new grads. I'll take anything outpatient at this point. I was not fond of my inpatient rotations during school. 

11 minutes ago, comPAssionatecamel said:

I really love primary care/family medicine. but for some reason Florida doesn't seem to have too many of those opportunities open for new grads. I'll take anything outpatient at this point. I was not fond of my inpatient rotations during school. 

Florida is a pretty crowded market and some areas are totally flooded. Its going to be tough for a new grad. You probably aren't doing anything particularly wrong.

I'm glad you are interested in primary care. It seems everyone wants a specialty these days.

Looking at the places you said no to... SNF is probably going to get you the most medicine exposure and experience but you'll need a lot of support while you get your feet on the ground. Don't let people tell you UC is some easy peasy place holder while you look for a "real" job. Many UCs have crushing numbers and, most importantly, among the trivial and silly reasons most people come in for are very real and serious problems. The magic in UC is the ability to see the critical problem when it walks in. I could tell you lots of stories.

The primary care position may have some potential. It is a "foot in the door" thing that could lead to negotiating a better deal as time goes by.

In any case network network network. There are tons of positions out there that aren't advertised. Reach out to your state society. Email PAs you know or have met and just ask them about positions. Ask THEM for names of contacts to call. 

Look at online adverts and look for the contact info for recruiters or the hiring authority and send them a nice note with your resume saying you'd like to be considered for any primary care positions that open up. I got one really good job that way. I wasn't picked but they guy they hired turned out to be a dud. They called me because they still had my resume on file and I had already interviewed. You just never know how these things will work out.

Good luck. Don't get discouraged.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, comPAssionatecamel said:

Try less populated counties such as the treasure coast, southwest/Naples area. Anywhere with PA schools nearby will be a challenge 

Edited by iconic
  • Like 1

I recommend my students start looking and applying several months in advance as it can take 4-6+ months to find a good job, but there's no sense in dwelling on that since you're here now.

You've received sound advice thus far. Moving forward, network network network. Read the book What Color is Your Parachute for advice on job searching, CVs, networking, etc. Look for a position that will provide good mentorship and training.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 7/7/2023 at 11:08 AM, Hemmingway said:

Florida is a pretty crowded market and some areas are totally flooded. Its going to be tough for a new grad. You probably aren't doing anything particularly wrong.

I'm glad you are interested in primary care. It seems everyone wants a specialty these days.

Looking at the places you said no to... SNF is probably going to get you the most medicine exposure and experience but you'll need a lot of support while you get your feet on the ground. Don't let people tell you UC is some easy peasy place holder while you look for a "real" job. Many UCs have crushing numbers and, most importantly, among the trivial and silly reasons most people come in for are very real and serious problems. The magic in UC is the ability to see the critical problem when it walks in. I could tell you lots of stories.

The primary care position may have some potential. It is a "foot in the door" thing that could lead to negotiating a better deal as time goes by.

In any case network network network. There are tons of positions out there that aren't advertised. Reach out to your state society. Email PAs you know or have met and just ask them about positions. Ask THEM for names of contacts to call. 

Look at online adverts and look for the contact info for recruiters or the hiring authority and send them a nice note with your resume saying you'd like to be considered for any primary care positions that open up. I got one really good job that way. I wasn't picked but they guy they hired turned out to be a dud. They called me because they still had my resume on file and I had already interviewed. You just never know how these things will work out.

Good luck. Don't get discouraged.

Thank you for your insight. Is it appropriate to message local PAs on LinkedIn if I've never met them?

On 7/7/2023 at 2:08 PM, iconic said:

Try less populated counties such as the treasure coast, southwest/Naples area. Anywhere with PA schools nearby will be a challenge 

Thank you for this, I've never considered this problem in the area. If I'm still having trouble at my six month mark, I will definitely re-evaluate my location in Florida. 

Go rural, I'm not talking a town of 25,000 I'm saying under 10,000 in the middle of nowhere. The providers there will be happy to have a cohort. Smaller facilities will treat you better in my experience. Just explain you are a new grad and need proper onboarding. There is not a lack of jobs just a lack of jobs in "desirable" areas

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, kettle said:

Go rural, I'm not talking a town of 25,000 I'm saying under 10,000 in the middle of nowhere. The providers there will be happy to have a cohort. Smaller facilities will treat you better in my experience. ....There is not a lack of jobs just a lack of jobs in "desirable" areas

I would give this advice to anyone! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...