Real Category II CME Examples, please

We have talked about this before, but I need a refresher.

What are real world examples of Cat II that folks here have filed with NCCPA?

I have worked virtually for a bit - soon to change  - no student exposure.

I am not a CPR instructor, EMT or other.

Besides journal readings.......

WHAT are some real life examples of Cat II that folks have filed?

Thanks

• 2 months later...

re: journal readings-

1. how many credits is 1 hour of reading a journal article?

2. do you document reading of journal article as a one-time log (I.e. 10 credits for journal reading from Aug 15-Sept 15) ...or... 1 credit for journal reading (I.e. on Aug. 15, 1 credit for journal reading on Aug. 16, ...and so on)?

thanks in advance

- from a PA who does not know how to document cat II journal readings

mentoring students. Journal club. M&M boards/meetings. 

2 hours ago, PAgirl1997 said:

- from a PA who does not know how to document cat II journal readings

About once every 6 or 8 weeks I log into NCCPA and take a lump sum best guesstimate on how many hours I spent reading journals/looking things up. Generally I get about 5-6 hours a month.

NCCPA rep told an entire convention audience once that nobody is going to audit cat II CME.

• Administrator
5 hours ago, Hemmingway said:

NCCPA rep told an entire convention audience once that nobody is going to audit cat II CME.

Well, it's not shocking that they won't... because they can't. Cat I CME can be enumerated and verified, Cat II is strictly honor system. How can they prove you were or weren't reading medical journals at the local University library if you said you were?

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1.  Reading Journals or any medical textbook.

2.  Clinical Meetings (Our practice meets once a month to discuss cases etc)

3.  Taking students/precepting 

4. Any medical lecture that does not give CME credit.

5.  I don't listen to medical podcasts, but assume you could claim credit for this as well.  

• Administrator
5 hours ago, ShakaHoo said:

3.  Taking students/precepting

5.  I don't listen to medical podcasts, but assume you could claim credit for this as well.  

Both of these are primarily Cat I now, but there's no reason you couldn't use them as Cat II. No idea why that would even be a thing, because no Cat II is required in any state I'm aware of--You can just do Cat I for the entire thing.

Just went through my UpToDate for the past 9 months--19.0 hours of Cat I CME, roughly 2 per month, 0.5 per week... and that's without even trying and being very circumspect on what is claimed.

My EMT recertification counts as Cat II. Just thought of that. I've claimed it before I think, but when I accrue 200+ hours of Cat I per recert cycle, it's just not worth it to track.

• Administrator
8 hours ago, Hemmingway said:

Somewhere in the bowels of the NCCPA website is a formula for claiming precepting as cat I. I think its 1 hour of CME for every 8 of precepting but I'd double check it. I haven't had a student in a couple of years so I don't remember.

AAPA. They just removed the cap, so preceptors who precept all the time don't have to attend a single CME lecture or read a single journal article to stay current. And they can get paid, too, without disturbing that arrangement... rather than paying FOR CME.

59 minutes ago, rev ronin said:

AAPA. They just removed the cap, so preceptors who precept all the time don't have to attend a single CME lecture or read a single journal article to stay current. And they can get paid, too, without disturbing that arrangement... rather than paying FOR CME.

Link please. If this is true I will max out my cme every month just on precepting....of course that doesn't cover the CAQ specific cme required to keep that current.

I was only able to find something that said programs may award cat 1 to preceptors at a rate of 2 hrs/week of precepting. That would still give me 8/month or 96/year. 

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, EMEDPA said:

Link please. If this is true I will max out my cme every month just on precepting....of course that doesn't cover the CAQ specific cme required to keep that current.

I was only able to find something that said programs may award cat 1 to preceptors at a rate of 2 hrs/week of precepting. That would still give me 8/month or 96/year. 

https://www.aapa.org/download/116915/?tmstv=1690405277

HP-4900
AAPA supports approved PA programs in awarding Category 1 CME credit to graduate PAs who precept PA students and preceptors of accredited PA programs and clinical postgraduate training programs may earn two Category I credits per week for each PA student or postgraduate trainee they precept with no maximum.
[Adopted 2014, reaffirmed 2019, amended 2023]

Bold bit (emphasis mine) was added--or rather, the cap was removed--in the 2023 HOD.

22 minutes ago, rev ronin said:

https://www.aapa.org/download/116915/?tmstv=1690405277

HP-4900
AAPA supports approved PA programs in awarding Category 1 CME credit to graduate PAs who precept PA students and preceptors of accredited PA programs and clinical postgraduate training programs may earn two Category I credits per week for each PA student or postgraduate trainee they precept with no maximum.
[Adopted 2014, reaffirmed 2019, amended 2023]

Bold bit (emphasis mine) was added--or rather, the cap was removed--in the 2023 HOD.

This requires the programs to certify the CME though every term. We can't just claim it. In 26 years of PA precepting I have received a total of 3 of these certs; one each from Medex, Pacific, and Hahnemann. I suppose I could bug the programs every term, but that sounds like a pain. They should just send them automatically. 

• Administrator
15 hours ago, EMEDPA said:

This requires the programs to certify the CME though every term. We can't just claim it. In 26 years of PA precepting I have received a total of 3 of these certs; one each from Medex, Pacific, and Hahnemann. I suppose I could bug the programs every term, but that sounds like a pain. They should just send them automatically. 

Again, this was just changed in the May HOD, so your prior experiences may not be normative. I haven't claimed CME for precepting in years, so I am clearly not the expert here.

• 3 weeks later...