2022-2023 Application Cycle

1 minute ago, nicaraguanpa said:

Congrats to everyone getting accepted yayyy! I’m applying there next year and it’s my top choice. 
would the ones that got accepted mind sharing their stats? I know that an acceptance is more than the numbers, but it gives some of us peace of mind that we have a chance!

Check the admissions page; it does a good job on showing the range of accepted GPAs, PCE hours, etc. That is most relevant to see where you may stand. 

3 hours ago, nicaraguanpa said:

I have! I love when schools have that. I fall right in the middle, but I’m still concerned hahaha

My experience with stats and rejects/acceptances is that there’s really no way to tell what your chances are. I have a previous masters degree and solid clinical career (5 years working full time in a hospital setting as a professional), 4.0 science gpa, research experience, great GRE, etc etc. Emory is my first acceptance. I’ve been rejected by 3 other programs that I figured would be easier to get into based on reputation and ranking—lol I was wrong. But what I’ve gathered is that programs have vastly different methods of choosing applicants, and have preferences toward different profiles/backgrounds. I assume I had better luck with Emory because they aren’t scared to accept students with advanced degrees, whereas many other programs prefer younger candidates. All of that to say, good stats might help you make the cut to be considered, but what happens from there can’t really be taken personally!

Sorry for my ramble, I’ve just been mind-boggled this entire cycle because nothing has seemed to make sense. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Cowabunga said:

My experience with stats and rejects/acceptances is that there’s really no way to tell what your chances are. I have a previous masters degree and solid clinical career (5 years working full time in a hospital setting as a professional), 4.0 science gpa, research experience, great GRE, etc etc. Emory is my first acceptance. I’ve been rejected by 3 other programs that I figured would be easier to get into based on reputation and ranking—lol I was wrong. But what I’ve gathered is that programs have vastly different methods of choosing applicants, and have preferences toward different profiles/backgrounds. I assume I had better luck with Emory because they aren’t scared to accept students with advanced degrees, whereas many other programs prefer younger candidates. All of that to say, good stats might help you make the cut to be considered, but what happens from there can’t really be taken personally!

Sorry for my ramble, I’ve just been mind-boggled this entire cycle because nothing has seemed to make sense. 

That is amazing, Congratulations! unbelievable story. See you next fall. I am super excited. 

4 hours ago, Cowabunga said:

Totally agree! I think my stats can get me an interview, but the interview is where they see if you are a good fit. 

5 hours ago, Cowabunga said:

Emory is one of the “old” programs…in a great way I do think they really do look at experience, advanced degrees, etc. It’s probably why our average age is 26-27 compared to places that favor those immediately out of college. We have some people with cool backgrounds, from practicing dieticians, Navy DMT, medics, and so on. 

• Like 1

Just now, WOMENINMEDICINE said:

Are they still sending emails? I still haven’t gotten one & I see others have gotten a decision. I wonder if it goes by the day you interviewed? I did interview mid October. If you've already been accepted/waitlisted, when did you interview? 

I interviewed Oct 21 and got the email yesterday morning soon after the first comment here mentioning an email went out.

20 minutes ago, TeddyRucpin said:

Emory is one of the “old” programs…in a great way I do think they really do look at experience, advanced degrees, etc. It’s probably why our average age is 26-27 compared to places that favor those immediately out of college. We have some people with cool backgrounds, from practicing dieticians, Navy DMT, medics, and so on. 

Absolutely why they were way up there for me (someone who also has a previous masters and career in healthcare). Like that Emory sees experience as a big plus as we learn so much from our classmates!

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, WOMENINMEDICINE said:

Are they still sending emails? I still haven’t gotten one & I see others have gotten a decision. I wonder if it goes by the day you interviewed? I did interview mid October. If you've already been accepted/waitlisted, when did you interview? 

Interviewed Oct 26th and received waitlist email yesterday 11/20

12 hours ago, WOMENINMEDICINE said:

I was rejected yesterday and interviewed 10/26.

If anyone was waitlisted can you please send me a screenshot (name redacted) of how their email looked like? I'm just curious.

17 hours ago, WOMENINMEDICINE said:

I interviewed October 24th and was accepted on November 20th.