NHSC Scholarship 2022-2023

3 minutes ago, ASellers2022 said:

Hello! Congratulations to everyone who is a finalist! I recovered an email titled "NHSC SP update: ACTION REQUIRED" and it is requesting my W-4 and verification of enrollment etc. Does this mean I am a finalist? I do not see anywhere on the email or portal it explicitly saying finalist. 

Yes, that means you are a finalist. Congrats!

1 hour ago, Kbelle25 said:

What are you guys putting for "Specialty" on the verification form?  

I am putting N/A ss my program does not train us in a specific specialty. However I believe it is there because the same form is used for med school applicants and some NP programs which have a specific specialty.

So for the verification form, are we only filling out personal information and signing at the bottom where it says scholar's signature and date?  I'm trying to also figure out who is suppose to fill out the phone and email in the bottom right, us or the school official's?

5 minutes ago, ali21 said:

So for the verification form, are we only filling out personal information and signing at the bottom where it says scholar's signature and date?  I'm trying to also figure out who is suppose to fill out the phone and email in the bottom right, us or the school official's?

I sent mine to the medical school registrars office at my university, they handle that kind of stuff for us but that could be different for you!

1 hour ago, phxhiker said:

I sent mine to the medical school registrars office at my university, they handle that kind of stuff for us but that could be different for you!

ya i sent it to my PA school but they sent another email saying some stuff we gotta do ourselves. I just filled out everything except their signature. 

31 minutes ago, billdwebster said:

Quick question: I’m also a finalist. How are NHSC assignments handled? Can I be placed out of state? Or do I just have to find my own assignment/job at an NHSC site when finished with PA school? 

asking because I’m married with 2 kids at home…

As far as I understand, they don't "place" you. You just have to find a job at a qualified site in those 6 months after graduation. The way you phrased it in your last sentence is right! However, if for some reason you can't find a job in the immediate vicinity of where you live, you'll have to branch a little further out, since the penalty if you don't find a job and start working at an NHSC site to complete your service commitment means you have to (in worst case scenario) pay back the amount that they paid for your education in TRIPLICATE.

I'm in a similar position without the kids - own my own home and am hoping (IF I get the scholarship) to find a job near where I live now after school. I think my chances are fairly good since there are multiple NHSC sites within an hour drive of where I live.

I've found this site helpful to get an idea of the sites near me, & to keep an eye on what the general job market looks like: https://connector.hrsa.gov/connector/search ; obviously the jobs posted now won't be the same ones posted when I graduate, but it gives me an idea.

Hope this is helpful!

• Upvote 3

19 hours ago, Bcarr23 said:

Does anybody know when we are assigned numbers if we end up getting the award? Also does anybody have a link that takes you to the different sites that are available? Thanks. 

Page 25 of that huge NHSC packet they have available with all of the application info, requirements, etc has a link to the searchable database!

Cue beginning to check for that countersignature now - I feel we're all pretty good at waiting, but personally my growth in patience is nowhere to be seen 🤦‍♂️ haha

For anyone curious, as an FYI: - it seems that, from previous years' timelines, that if you're a finalist it could take anywhere from a month until the end of September to receive a countersignature on your contract.

Best wishes to you all!

1 minute ago, AJRangel said:

Got my finalist email yesterday!!! Congrats to everyone who has made it to be a finalist. 
I filled out the forms and now I’m worried I filled out the W-4 wrong. At the bottom were we supposed to leave employer name/address and EIN blank?

I believe so. I think we are only supposed to fill out Steps 1-5 (I'm filing single, so I only had to complete Steps 1 and 5). I think NHSC fills out the employer section, since we're getting the taxable income from them.

1 minute ago, TinaH said:

I believe so. I think we are only supposed to fill out Steps 1-5 (I'm filing single, so I only had to complete Steps 1 and 5). I think NHSC fills out the employer section, since we're getting the taxable income from them.

Oh no thats not good. Is there any way to contact them to swap it out. Or maybe they’ll see its a mistake and send it back

3 minutes ago, TinaH said:

even if we did have an employer? I quit my last job a few weeks ago in preparation for PA school, i wouldn't enter that information?

1 minute ago, AJRangel said:

Oh no thats not good. Is there any way to contact them to swap it out. Or maybe they’ll see its a mistake and send it back

I don't think it's a big enough mistake to warrant concern. I think they mainly wanted the W-4 for our full name, permanent address, and SSN. As long as you filled out that correctly, I think it should be fine.