NHSC Scholarship 2022-2023

I just got off the phone with someone from HRSA. I called to ask what the significance of the credit check is (mine was pulled on 6/22). I was told that the credit check is just a part of the application process, and it does not necessarily mean that you will be selected as a finalist (as many people have suggested). The woman I spoke with also told me that the next step would be to look out for a "confirmation of interest" email from HRSA. This is sent to finalists (being a finalist does not mean you'll be awarded the scholarship). So basically, we are waiting for the confirmation of interest email, which we will reply to in addition to answering some questions in the portal. At that point, they have until 9/30 to notify us if we are selected or not.

I also asked her about the competitiveness of the scholarship overall, considering the $900 million in additional funding given to this program just last year. In years past, it's my understanding that this scholarship was much more competitive than it is as a result of this extra funding. Last year, about 1,200 out of approx. 1,900 applicants were awarded the scholarship. The woman I spoke with told me that they make every effort to award scholarship to as many eligible applicants as possible 🙂 hang in there! 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, rachels91 said:

I just got off the phone with someone from HRSA. I called to ask what the significance of the credit check is (mine was pulled on 6/22). I was told that the credit check is just a part of the application process, and it does not necessarily mean that you will be selected as a finalist (as many people have suggested). The woman I spoke with also told me that the next step would be to look out for a "confirmation of interest" email from HRSA. This is sent to finalists (being a finalist does not mean you'll be awarded the scholarship). So basically, we are waiting for the confirmation of interest email, which we will reply to in addition to answering some questions in the portal. At that point, they have until 9/30 to notify us if we are selected or not.

I also asked her about the competitiveness of the scholarship overall, considering the $900 million in additional funding given to this program just last year. In years past, it's my understanding that this scholarship was much more competitive than it is as a result of this extra funding. Last year, about 1,200 out of approx. 1,900 applicants were awarded the scholarship. The woman I spoke with told me that they make every effort to award scholarship to as many eligible applicants as possible 🙂 hang in there! 

This is sooo useful! You reached a really informative representative.

Thanks so much ❤️

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rachels91 said:

Thank you for this!!!!

5 minutes ago, rachels91 said:

omg rachelll it’s youuu from the rutgers groupme 🙂 I hope all is well! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/12/2022 at 12:12 PM, rachels91 said:

what number did you use to contact them? I did not get my credit checked so idk if that means I am not being considered 😞 

15 minutes ago, AnotherNP said:

@Chispa I likewise say under review but haven’t seen a credit check. Does it not just say under review for everyone? I had kind of assumed it didn’t work out for me this time even though I have disadvantaged background and work in psych in a rural area. 

I just checked the portal - mine says “Under Review,” and I received a credit check on 6/20. I believe the “Under Review” designation is the default until they send out final decisions.

@AnotherNP Yes, "under review" is the default; but historically some past winners haven't seen credit checks either. I'm holding out hope until I hear otherwise that I'm in the running, since I haven't seen a cred check yet either. I also have disadvantaged background and am attending a program with a rural healthcare focus, plus I have rural healthcare background. It's not a No until they tell us in writing!

• Upvote 1

On 8/2/2022 at 7:15 AM, Chispa said:

@ESTprePA I've not seen a credit check either, but on the NHSC portal my app still says "Under Review." Not sure why I haven't seen a credit check (and I've looked on CreditKarma + Experian to cover all 3 bureaus), but I'm going to assume that since it still says under review, I'm not out of the running yet.

I called them today and asked if not getting my credit checked meant I was out of the running. They said not necessarily. They check your credit and different times! Okay This gave me some hope! 

• Like 1

I logged into the website today and there's a notice at the top that says:

"Please excuse the inconvenience, but users will experience services disruptions on Saturday, August 06, 2022 between 9:00 AM and 5:00 PM EST due to a patch update. For more information or questions please contact the HRSA Call Center"

I have a feeling we will hear back either Friday or Monday 🙂 

Fingers crossed for everyone!

• Like 3

On 8/4/2022 at 10:10 AM, detay98 said:

I logged into the website today and there's a notice at the top that says:

"Please excuse the inconvenience, but users will experience services disruptions on Saturday, August 06, 2022 between 9:00 AM and 5:00 PM EST due to a patch update. For more information or questions please contact the HRSA Call Center"

I have a feeling we will hear back either Friday or Monday 🙂 

Fingers crossed for everyone!

Are you thinking that we will hear back because of the error message? Sorry just a little confused on this

28 minutes ago, PA2112 said:

Heard back that they were a finalist or that they received the scholarship? 

Based on past forums, individuals who received the finalist notification ultimately received the scholarship. I've never seen a post from someone saying they were a finalist but didn't get the scholarship.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chispa said:

Super interested to see if we start hearing back today/this week. I can't access the portal to check my application status this morning - the page won't load. I was able to yesterday! Fingers crossed for everyone.

Yes, me too! I can't login to check the portal today either. Praying we hear something soon!

• Like 1