NHSC Scholarship 2022-2023

21 minutes ago, Drom117 said:

Does everyone using Experian use the premium membership? Will it let me know I have had a hard inquiry if I don't?

Also, did they check your transunion or equifax?

You can request a free credit report from annualcreditreport.com. Just fill out the info and you can choose to get it from experian. It will tell you anyone that did a hard inquiry. 

• Upvote 1

I got the credit check too :)! I called the help line twice for questions on my app and asked them abt any signs/clues that we're moving forward with the process. The first agent said that the credit check was a sign that you would be a finalist, but the second agent I talked to said that it varies each year and that we just have to wait until Sept 30th (latest) to know for sure. 

Also also!! In order for us to be reimbursed (since I'm assuming most of us start school before the funding will get to us), we have to use federal loan money to pay for the tuition and fees. I wish they had this stated somewhere, but just thought this would be useful info for people who were thinking of using private loans or paying a portion out of pocket to lower the interest amounts. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 6/21/2022 at 5:47 PM, ali21 said:

what is the name of the check? Like who does it say did the inquiry?

I saw the credit check using the app experian on my phone. I signed up (it will ask for the last 4 digits of your soc and some history of addresses to verify it’s actually you) then go to “Reports” click “inquiries” and it should tell you that you have an inquiry from “NHSC LRP SP HRSA”

Edited by ab007

Just for reference, did anyone who does not have a credit history get the notification for an inquiry? 
I did not get a credit check notification but whenever I try to use annual credit report or Experian, it says they aren’t able to come up with a report due to lack of credit history (none of my rent or bills have ever been reported to credit bureaus). Just wondering if this is happening to anyone else. 

I still haven't gotten a credit check from what I can tell either - I use both the CreditKarma app and free version of Experian. I'm curious why some are seeing credit checks and not others.

I also wonder how heavily GPA is weighted in their consideration? Does anyone know? I had 3.802 for my bachelors, and had almost a 4.0 for my post-bacc classes that I needed to apply for PA school that weren't taken in undergrad, but my first semester of PA school was a little lower, at about a 3.33. I still had all As and Bs, but it wasn't quite as good (PA school is definitely a level up, and you have to adjust to how to study somewhat for sure!).

I'm not normally so anxious, but it definitely is psyching me out a little that there's no credit check for me yet and some people are getting them. I know that otherwise I should have a strong application; but the lower-than-average for me GPA makes me stressed. I'm a non-traditional student (technically) and was in the workforce almost a decade after undergrad before starting PA school. It just feels like the stakes are a little higher to get out of school with less debt, since I'm having to finance it all through loans so far. I'm still plenty young, but I'm trying to be proactive for my future and avoid as much crazy loan interest as possible, since I'll be in my early-mid 30's when I finish school.

23 minutes ago, Chispa said:

I still haven't gotten a credit check from what I can tell either - I use both the CreditKarma app and free version of Experian. I'm curious why some are seeing credit checks and not others.

I also wonder how heavily GPA is weighted in their consideration? Does anyone know? I had 3.802 for my bachelors, and had almost a 4.0 for my post-bacc classes that I needed to apply for PA school that weren't taken in undergrad, but my first semester of PA school was a little lower, at about a 3.33. I still had all As and Bs, but it wasn't quite as good (PA school is definitely a level up, and you have to adjust to how to study somewhat for sure!).

I'm not normally so anxious, but it definitely is psyching me out a little that there's no credit check for me yet and some people are getting them. I know that otherwise I should have a strong application; but the lower-than-average for me GPA makes me stressed. I'm a non-traditional student (technically) and was in the workforce almost a decade after undergrad before starting PA school. It just feels like the stakes are a little higher to get out of school with less debt, since I'm having to finance it all through loans so far. I'm still plenty young, but I'm trying to be proactive for my future and avoid as much crazy loan interest as possible, since I'll be in my early-mid 30's when I finish school.

From what I’ve read in other forums from previous years they do a couple rounds of credit checks. This year they did the credit checks almost a month earlier. I’m not sure why. I wouldn’t stress about the credit checks since it seems to be the biggest mystery in this whole process. 

Also, you clearly have a history of doing well academically and your rec letters will speak to that so I wouldn’t worry about your GPA. You sound like a strong applicant so you have no reason to be anxious. 🙂 

1 hour ago, Chispa said:

I definitely wish they were a little more transparent about the process. My application still says it’s under review, so I might call tomorrow and see if I can get any info on my application specifically (doubt I will get anything since most people seem to get pretty generic answers). I’m kind of in the same boat, had a 3.95 out of undergrad and starting my PA program in august. Didn’t have my hopes set high at all since I’m earlier in schooling compared to others, but thought I’d at least be considered/credit checked due to my experience in FQHCs+VDB. I guess we’ll just have to see lol

14 minutes ago, zeshu said:

I definitely wish they were a little more transparent about the process. My application still says it’s under review, so I might call tomorrow and see if I can get any info on my application specifically (doubt I will get anything since most people seem to get pretty generic answers). I’m kind of in the same boat, had a 3.95 out of undergrad and starting my PA program in august. Didn’t have my hopes set high at all since I’m earlier in schooling compared to others, but thought I’d at least be considered/credit checked due to my experience in FQHCs+VDB. I guess we’ll just have to see lol

Mine also says "under review." I just started my program in January, so I only have my grades from the 1st semester and am almost halfway through my 2nd.

I've thought about calling but I doubt I would really get much information & don't want to bother them, so I haven't so far. I also have experience working with FQHCs and medically underserved populations for basically all of my work experience, so there shouldn't be a question as to whether I'd be willing and committed to go work at an NHSC site... and I'm bilingual English/Spanish, which I feel like should be a plus.

I guess all we can do is wait and hope to hear something sooner than later. I understand that they have to take time to review applications, but it just seems like a long while to wait for any news.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, zeshu said:

I've called. The person I talked to said it's out of their hands and knowledge on what happens after it's submitted and they're basically just an information database on anything that's in the PDFs we can find ourselves. I've don't a lot of digging through past years and some have seemingly had 2 rounds of credit checks while some haven't. 

But maybe the person you talk to will know more about the process after it's submitted.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/24/2022 at 12:06 PM, JessN said:

I got the credit check too :)! I called the help line twice for questions on my app and asked them abt any signs/clues that we're moving forward with the process. The first agent said that the credit check was a sign that you would be a finalist, but the second agent I talked to said that it varies each year and that we just have to wait until Sept 30th (latest) to know for sure. 

Also also!! In order for us to be reimbursed (since I'm assuming most of us start school before the funding will get to us), we have to use federal loan money to pay for the tuition and fees. I wish they had this stated somewhere, but just thought this would be useful info for people who were thinking of using private loans or paying a portion out of pocket to lower the interest amounts. 

I asked in a Q&A session about having to have federal loans to be reimbursed and they said you did not have to! I paid out of pocket for my first semester and they said that I would definitely be able to get a reimbursement from my school. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/5/2022 at 8:18 AM, brabbeygirl18 said:

I asked in a Q&A session about having to have federal loans to be reimbursed and they said you did not have to! I paid out of pocket for my first semester and they said that I would definitely be able to get a reimbursement from my school. 

Nice! I hope that's the case! It seems like too big of a detail to leave out of the guide, maybe when the agent told me is what they used to do?

not sure if anyone knew this but I called asking if they could re-review my credit because the day after they checked my score my score went up by 40 points (LOL) and they said they don’t even check credit scores, they just check credit history for defaults and late payments.

Maybe everyone else already knows this and i’m just last to find out but I hope that helped someone :)

3 hours ago, JoannH said:

not sure if anyone knew this but I called asking if they could re-review my credit because the day after they checked my score my score went up by 40 points (LOL) and they said they don’t even check credit scores, they just check credit history for defaults and late payments.

Maybe everyone else already knows this and i’m just last to find out but I hope that helped someone 🙂

I doubt it had anything to do with the credit check but how did your credit score jump so much?? What is it now? 

Just now, azkid said:

I doubt it had anything to do with the credit check but how did your credit score jump so much?? What is it now? 

Yeah im sure it had nothing to do with the check but i’m not even sure why it jumped so much. 

It went from 734 to 770! 

16 hours ago, JoannH said:

Yeah im sure it had nothing to do with the check but i’m not even sure why it jumped so much. 

It went from 734 to 770! 

That's incredible! I know for credit karma, if your credit goes up or down it usually gives you a reason. Maybe you finished paying off some type of loan or mortgage? 

1 hour ago, azkid said:

That's incredible! I know for credit karma, if your credit goes up or down it usually gives you a reason. Maybe you finished paying off some type of loan or mortgage? 

Thank you! Trust me I wish I knew the reason. I’ve searched all over credit karma and it just says because I make my payments on time.. but I’ve been doing that the whole time LOL. I won’t question it though; i’ll gladly take it haha.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2022 at 4:55 PM, JoannH said:

Maybe everyone else already knows this and i’m just last to find out but I hope that helped someone 🙂

Where were you able to see the credit check (Experian, CreditKarma)?