UC time to service - legal question

There

11 minutes ago, CAAdmission said:

It seems like there needs to be more formal training or requirements for triage in these situations. When you roll up to an ER, the first person you see if generally someone performing triage. I'd suspect there is no one who greets patients and performs a similar function at an urgent care, correct?

There never was at any of the UCs I worked at. You meet a front desk person who has zero training in identifying possible big problems. They would recognize 2 out of 3 gunshot wounds.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Your definition of success is different than a business person.  They are successful when the bottom line is in the black.  I’m sure they have a formula of cance of “something serious/patient satisfaction satisfaction score” and take their chances that it’s not worth the money to screen for these things. 
I can’t say it enough.  Admins and business owners don’t care about lives, and outcomes only count for reimbursement purposes.  Try it.  Today, go to your supervisor and say “I think the speed I’m going isn’t safe”, and they will laugh their asses off.

• Sad 1

On 7/19/2021 at 8:00 AM, CAAdmission said:

It seems like there needs to be more formal training or requirements for triage in these situations. When you roll up to an ER, the first person you see if generally someone performing triage. I'd suspect there is no one who greets patients and performs a similar function at an urgent care, correct?

Brother let me tell you this...Urgent Care and ESPECIALLY Corporate UC's are the worst.  They hire front office people with zero medical exposure much less any medical training.  Most are paid crap and could care less.  Almost all UC's use Medical Assistants in the back, many of which were dumb as rocks.   VERY few UC's cough up the money for decent nursing, MedExpress comes to mind as the exception.  Otherwise the other ones are shite.  Stay away.

12 hours ago, thinkertdm said:

Today, go to your supervisor and say “I think the speed I’m going isn’t safe”, and they will laugh their asses off.

To be honest, I've given up on speaking to admin. Now I just drizzle industrial strength aircraft paint stripper on their Porsche. It's surprisingly easy to purchase. 

• Thanks 1

• Administrator
12 hours ago, thinkertdm said:

Today, go to your supervisor and say “I think the speed I’m going isn’t safe”, and they will laugh their asses off.

Internally, sure, but externally they'll pretend to take it under advisement, and it may even merit some hand wriginging and internal brainstorming before no solution is enacted.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

On 7/20/2021 at 9:18 PM, rev ronin said:

Internally, sure, but externally they'll pretend to take it under advisement, and it may even merit some hand wriginging and internal brainstorming before no solution is enacted.

such a sad, but true statement...it's a really weird reality in medicine we work in today.  After my day yesterday of 72 patients in a 10 hour shift (which became 12 because we were so far behind)...60 in clinic and 12 telemed visits (with two sent by ambulance with respiratory distress secondary to positive COVID, a 31yo and 42yo both HEALTHY before this) I am 100% done covering our UCs.  It's just stupid at this point.  I used to take pride in being able to see that many...and now I just see it for what it is.  It's dangerous, stupid, and soul crushing.  I regret to say I somewhat lost it on my last patient.  I'm running 2 hours behind and this guy starts yelling at me as soon as I walk in the room because he's waited so long...because he missed his PCP appointment two days earlier and needs a refill of his chronic medications.  He didn't even try calling his PCP's office to request short term refills after no-showing his appointment.  But, wait for it...we don't do this, it's stated on our sign outside the building, inside the building, he signed paperwork acknowledging we don't do this, and was told by the front desk when he checked in that we don't do this.  He just wanted to be seen and insisted upon it, I'm guessing thinking that I would just cave and go against our policy.

Best part?  I get to do it all again today in about 20 minutes.  I'm currently scheduled to cover 6 shifts in August...tomorrow I'm contacting my manager and just saying, "Sorry, family emergency, can't do it."  I hate pushing it off on someone else to cover, but I'm just done.  I've covered 48 days so far this year...and I'm just done.

I'm going to give myself a few months to recover, hopefully before my son is born in November, but honestly I'm concerned that won't even work.  I feel like I'm too far gone at this point and I'm starting to look at different career paths.  Even worse, I'm this burned out after 1 day and I literally have worked 3 days in the past three weeks due to a vacation and then an ortho supplier conference I attended in FL.  Honestly the educators there looked like they loved their jobs, but of course they have to exude that.  Not even sure where I'm going at this point with this comment...but for those who have been where I am, know you're not alone.

• Sad 2