Texas HB 2029, NP independence

12 hours ago, EMEDPA said:

Texas? I did not see that coming....

I hope that's a joke EMEDPA.  I've been screaming this for years.  First FL, CA and now TX.  I think as little as a year ago I was saying NP's would go for the moonshot in TX and get it within 3 tries.  Here we are...still "assistants".

https://www.nursepractitionerschools.com/blog/texas-np-practice-authority/

Edited by Cideous
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, ventana said:

Hope they get it

it helps us if they (with lesser training) get independence

We either need to fix our issues, or break the system so badly that we have to fix it....

No one cares about training.  No one who does the hiring anyway.  This will BREAK PA's in Texas.  I'm too old to learn surgery....

I know most here know me as "the sky is falling" guy, but damnit guys....THE SKY IS FALLING ON THIS PROFESSION!  Docs rarely hire anymore and even when they do, knowing they don't have to sign off will make even them take on NP's.  It never ceases to amaze me how ostrich like we are.  Something bad?  Don't look....Head in sand!  (Ventana this was not directed at you btw, but our profession in general)

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, iconic said:

Probably debating our title change 

PA’s are highly educated medical professionals that use research based treatment to recommend best care for patient outcome. I imagine PA’s want to scream each time patient ignores their professional recommendations.

My point is, WHY are PA’s still debating evidence based research for title change done by educated marketing team? You are no better than that patient who comes in and says I don’t care if I die,  don’t like what you say, so not going to listen.  
Your knowledge is medical, not marketing. Hopefully leaders will listen as follow  evidence and suggestions from real professionals in that area. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Cideous said:

No one cares about training.  No one who does the hiring anyway.  This will BREAK PA's in Texas.  I'm too old to learn surgery....

I know most here know me as "the sky is falling" guy, but damnit guys....THE SKY IS FALLING ON THIS PROFESSION!  Docs rarely hire anymore and even when they do, knowing they don't have to sign off will make even them take on NP's.  It never ceases to amaze me how ostrich like we are.  Something bad?  Don't look....Head in sand!  (Ventana this was not directed at you btw, but our profession in general)

in my state NP's will get independence next year AFTER a few thousand hours or supervised work - sorry new grads

I am on my state agency/board--we are planning on going after the same based on better training and that they already have it....  in this one case I think it matters - we are better trained on paper an in real life.... and we are going to bring this up to politicians!!! Might be a 1-2 lag but maybe that will motivate the lazy apathetic PA's that are not donating to the PAC in their state....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TexasPA28 said:

This is not new.

Every year for the last 10 years the NPs have tried this in Texas.  It always gets shot down.

My understanding is that TX is one of the most regulated states for NP practice. FNPs can't work in surgery, etc. The TMA seems like a very powerful organization. It would surprise me if the NPs could overcome that barrier. CA did not surprise me. TX would. 

Just now, EMEDPA said:

My understanding is that TX is one of the most regulated states for NP practice. FNPs can't work in surgery, etc. The TMA seems like a very powerful organization. It would surprise me if the NPs could overcome that barrier. CA did not surprise me. TX would. 

Even after the California bill passed I don't see any detriment to PAs or NPs.  Quick google search shows hundreds of job openings for both PAs and MDs in that state.

44 minutes ago, TexasPA28 said:

Even after the California bill passed I don't see any detriment to PAs or NPs.  Quick google search shows hundreds of job openings for both PAs and MDs in that state.

There are lots of jobs in CA, but I would argue that there are not lots of jobs in desirable parts of the state. Many are central valley or not within 100 miles of the coast. I grew up in CA and attended college there and even 25 years ago most of the jobs were not in places I would like living. 

• Upvote 1