Flat out rejected from every school

Good afternoon everyone,
So I applied to 13 schools this cycle and didn't receive any interviews. It was either a flat out rejection or no response. I'm pretty bummed out and just stuck here wondering where the hell I went wrong. Here are my stats:

25/M/Navy Veteran
cGPA: 3.20
sGPA: 3.37
PCE: 2,200
Leadership: 5,000+
Shadowing: 325 
Letters:  PA shadowed, College Chemistry professor, MD I worked with in the military.

I feel like I had a great Personal statement; I believe that I articulated why I wanted to become a PA very well. The only things that I think hindered my application were my GPA, the fact that I am still in my senior year of college finishing up my degree, and I decided not to take the GRE, which limited my options from schools to choose from. 

Any advice would be much appreciated! 
Thanks.

Edited by PAthleticism

I did that 4 times, 4 years. Except I applied to 15-20. Take the GRE. Change up your personal statement. Read examples. The best ones tell a story, keep it suspenseful and interesting throughout. It’s less about “why you want to be a PA” and what you’ve done to qualify yourself. 

Edited by ANESMCR
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

If I could offer my opinion, I feel that applications are all about balance. I personally did not have a good GRE score at all but I had a good GPA and I received quite a bit of interviews and two acceptances---with about the same PCE and less shadowing hours! Unfortunately a lot of schools do place some emphasis on numbers so if you can admit to yourself that one area may be lower, try to balance that with higher numbers elsewhere. If GRE is not in your future plan and your PCE was perhaps gained in one area, consider diversifying your experience elsewhere. Don't overlook extra letters of recommendations (maybe from your plethora of leadership experience), you never know how many programs look past those essential three. Also never be shy with what makes you different, I brought up almost every distinctive quality my life offered me somewhere in my application!

• Like 1

1. Depending on where you applied to schools, you may still get an interview never give up hope until it's the end of the cycle and/or you got rejection emails

2. Finish up your degree, it will be less of a liability 

3. @copticmare has a great point about a balanced application especially if you look for schools that say they look at your application holistically. I had a similar science GPA (granted my overall GPA was higher at a 3.6) and I thought it would limit my chances of getting in but I have had 5 interviews so far and two acceptances. Definitely take the GRE. I think most of the schools I got interviews for required it and since I got a good score I would hope it allowed them to look over the GRE deficit. I'm also a big believer on getting as many hours of PCE as you can get especially if you have a lower GPA so definitely keep improving that. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

One more thing to consider....It may have been Degree not verified in CASPA.  I had a similar situation when I applied without the degree verified, several schools either wait listed me or rejected me.   Some schools this is an automatic rejection.  Next cycle when CASPA degree was verified I went 8 for 11 interviews.  I did not change anything except that.

Stay with this - good luck.  I took me 3 cycles

• Like 1

It took me 3 cycles as well although I only applied to 1 school the 1st cycle and 3 during the 2nd cycle and 20 programs this year and got 2 acceptances. Always find way to improve your application between cycles. Between the 1st and 2nd cycle I retook Genetics improving my grade from a C+ to an A, I actually did not rewrite my PS and I regretted the decision. Between the 2nd and 3rd cycle I volunteered 100 hours, distinguished myself during the height of the pandemic (earning some awesome LORs), I rewrote my PS and had it professionally edited, and did some great prep work for interviews.

It feels like this would be a good fit for you, be resolute and good luck!

• Like 1

You identified three hurdles to interview offers already. I would work on those things, as much as you can. I think your GPA is fine, just make sure it's in line with the class averages of accepted students at each school. Some places say they have a 3.0 cut-off or whatever number, but if you look at the accepted students no one is below a 3.5. Gotta look for that.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/18/2020 at 11:06 PM, Christine616 said:

1. Depending on where you applied to schools, you may still get an interview never give up hope until it's the end of the cycle and/or you got rejection emails

2. Finish up your degree, it will be less of a liability 

3. @copticmare has a great point about a balanced application especially if you look for schools that say they look at your application holistically. I had a similar science GPA (granted my overall GPA was higher at a 3.6) and I thought it would limit my chances of getting in but I have had 5 interviews so far and two acceptances. Definitely take the GRE. I think most of the schools I got interviews for required it and since I got a good score I would hope it allowed them to look over the GRE deficit. I'm also a big believer on getting as many hours of PCE as you can get especially if you have a lower GPA so definitely keep improving that. 

Which schools offered you an interview/acceptance? I have a similar GPA but haven't had any luck for 2 cycles now..

On 12/18/2020 at 1:15 PM, PAthleticism said:

Good afternoon everyone,
So I applied to 13 schools this cycle and didn't receive any interviews. It was either a flat out rejection or no response. I'm pretty bummed out and just stuck here wondering where the hell I went wrong. Here are my stats:

25/M/Navy Veteran
cGPA: 3.20
sGPA: 3.37
PCE: 2,200
Leadership: 5,000+
Shadowing: 325 
Letters:  PA shadowed, College Chemistry professor, MD I worked with in the military.

I feel like I had a great Personal statement; I believe that I articulated why I wanted to become a PA very well. The only things that I think hindered my application were my GPA, the fact that I am still in my senior year of college finishing up my degree, and I decided not to take the GRE, which limited my options from schools to choose from. 

Any advice would be much appreciated! 
Thanks.

I believe some schools require a completed bachelors degree. Imagine if they accepted you, and you don't complete your bachelors for whatever reason, they'd be in a pretty rough place. Just trying to look at it from the admissions perspective. Definitely talk about being a non-traditional applicant in your PS if you haven't already, that's what sets you apart (as well as your Navy experience, particularly if you were a corps man)!

Good luck man, go a second round and get in PA school! In my opinion, reapplicants stand out as it shows devotion to the profession. I would think that stands out to admission counselors.

(Disclaimer: I'm just a Pre-PA and working on my application as well, I haven't applied and am not accepted into any program).