Prerequisites for PA School

I am an undergraduate student in my junior year. I will apply to PA school next year, and since I am starting my prerequisites a bit late, I want to apply to schools with the least prerequisites. Two schools I would like to apply to have these requirements:

-biology 1 & 2

-chemistry 1 & 2

-1 organic chemistry course

-general psychology

-psychology elective

-Math: an algebra course

I am looking for more schools with similar prerequisite requirements. Could anyone please recommend any schools with similar prerequisites? I prefer to not take anatomy and physiology. Schools on the east coast preferable also. PLease help and Thnk you!!

Yeah... I think you might have an easier time coming up with a list that didn't include the psych and math classes than A&P.

How about:

Bio 1 & 2

Chem 1 & 2

Orgo 1 & 2

A&P 1 & 2

Those are basic pre-reqs for most schools. 8 classes, the same number as your original list. Granted, the sequence may take slightly longer. But depending on the rest of your preparedness, maybe a year in between wouldn't kill you?

Guest hubbardtim48

Why don't you want to take A&P? You will scream, kick, cry, pull your hair out when you take gross anatomy, physiology, patho. without having a foundation of A&P. I would not short change yourself because you will regret it while in PA school (that is if there are schools thay will let you in without A&P).....??? which I don't think will happen....

Hi!

Greenmood - Yes I will have a year in between to take prerequisites.

Flyingsquirrel - I am not interested in medical school, and I'm looking for any PA schools which require just those preqrequisites.

hubbardtim48 - Yes there are schools that do not require A&P. Thanks for the advice, and if a school does not require it, I think I will be okay there without the A&P foundation.

Tuckeral - Not all professions in healthcare require A&P. Ex. Medical schools don't even want it.

Thank you for all the advice, and please keep the responses coming! I'm still looking for schools that don't require A&P.

Guest hubbardtim48

I truly don't understand why you do not want to take A&P. That is the foundation of ALL courses in PA school. The organic classes will NOT help you AT ALL in PA school. I have orgo I & II and they have NEVER helped me once in school, the only chemistry class that has truly helped me was biochem. What PA schools do not require A&P? I really would like to hear the stories coming from those students that did not take A&P and see how well they did in gross anatomy or even physicial exams. Do you even know where the spleen is, what it does, why...? Again A&P is the FOUNDATION of medicine and I have never heard anyone in my life say they do not want to take those courses. God bless you because you will need it.

Hi!

Greenmood - Yes I will have a year in between to take prerequisites.

Flyingsquirrel - I am not interested in medical school, and I'm looking for any PA schools which require just those preqrequisites.

hubbardtim48 - Yes there are schools that do not require A&P. Thanks for the advice, and if a school does not require it, I think I will be okay there without the A&P foundation.

Tuckeral - Not all professions in healthcare require A&P. Ex. Medical schools don't even want it.

Thank you for all the advice, and please keep the responses coming! I'm still looking for schools that don't require A&P.

That's because med students have 4 YEARS to cover pretty much what we do in 2. If you don't have a solid background in A and P, you won't do well in PA school. Do yourself a favor, instead of looking for the easy way, dedicate yourself to doing it THE RIGHT WAY.

Guest hubbardtim48

Amen GatorRRT! In my personal opinion I thought orgo was harder than A & P and both orgo and my A & P were 300 level classes.

sorry to sound like a broken record but a+p is the most important academic foundation for pa school there is. without it you will be at a distinct disadvantage your first term in pa school. for everyone else a+p will be review(and skimmed by the professors because of this) and you will be learning it from scratch. it isn't difficult if you give it the time it deserves and is the foundation for all of medicine. not taking a+p would be like becoming a marine biologist without ever going to an aquarium or marine research lab. I am guessing most students who apply to programs that don't require it still have taken it as it is a prereq for lots of other important classes like pathobio, etc

***steps off soapbox***

I have taken A&P 4 times. Once in high school, once for the military for Combat Medic school, once for pre-reqs during undergrad and then again in PA school. When I got to my surgical rotation it was even more complex when the body is turned various ways and through multiple scopes. I hope you understand that it is not basic anatomy and physiology you are required to know, it is advanced anatomy and physiology. Med schools do not require anatomy and physiology because they get pounded with it their first year, but they have the luxury of more time. PA students do not. I guess if you are a rock star and just remember everything then you could get by without a good foundation... but the anatomy questions do not stop once anatomy class is over. So I hope you have great retention along with capacity. I rocked my surgical rotations because I had such a great foundation in A & P and knew my stuff. That led to two stunning surgical evaluations, and that led to a great career in vascular surgery for me. Maybe I still would have been outstanding, but to chance that opportunity to a "maybe" seems too large a risk for me.

yup, needed a+p for trauma surg as well.

"emedpa, what's this vessel? do you think I should ligate it as it is bleeding or take the time to repair it? what structures does it supply?", etc

funniest thing I ever saw in the O.R was a medical student who wanted to tie off " a big bleeder" which just happened to be the abd aorta.....yeah, don't need that for anything....never saw him in the o.r. with that surgeon again.....

yup, needed a+p for trauma surg as well.

"emedpa, what's this vessel? do you think I should ligate it as it is bleeding or take the time to repair it? what structures does it supply?", etc

funniest thing I ever saw in the O.R was a medical student who wanted to tie off " a big bleeder" which just happened to be the abd aorta.....yeah, don't need that for anything....never saw him in the o.r. with that surgeon again.....

LOL'd hard at that one

I'm betting not a troll but just dislikes/isn't good at/has a pathological fear of bio. that's tough for medicine.

don't like chem? you can probably scratch by. don't like math/physics, ditto.

don't like bio? you are likely screwed....

I don't know a situation in practice and even in PA school that I can recall where I didn't rely on physiology, it seems like everything on medicine deals with some pathway or another. And I'm "only" in family practice. I actually retook PHYSIOLOGY a couple semesters before PA school as a refresher.

On another note what's with all the bare minimum posts on here lately. You pre-pas don't want to have the best prep you can have so you will be less likely to kill your first pts? I mean if its not a post like "what's the least amt of hce this...." Or "whats the least amt of sciences that...." I mean sheesh....

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

I'm looking for a part time ivy league doctoral program with no hce requirement, no gre, and one that will take someone with a community college 1.9 gpa that I can do entirely online. can you guys help me out? also I want to have kids the year I graduate and only want to work 4 hrs/week only on tuesdays in cosmetic derm and make 100k/yr. is nevada a good state for that because I don't want to move? I want to live with my parents.

Guest hubbardtim48

Even better than the first post! HAHA...sadly it is true...I just had a friend graduate from the Vandy NP program and he was an international business man for years...strange program for an ivy school...get'em comin' E!!!! :)

I'm looking for a part time ivy league doctoral program with no hce requirement, no gre, and one that will take someone with a community college 1.9 gpa that I can do entirely online. can you guys help me out? also I want to have kids the year I graduate and only want to work 4 hrs/week only on tuesdays in cosmetic derm and make 100k/yr. is nevada a good state for that because I don't want to move? I want to live with my parents.

You, in one post, summarized a troubling trend I am seeing on this forum....

clap.gif

Archived