Hi all. Our EM practice is in the works of developing a head PA/NP position (manager in a sense). Currently we have a liaison who is a physician-but the physician wants to turn it over to the APPs. Since this is a new trial process for our group, I wanted to reach out and see what the job description and stipend/benefits your group gives to the PA/NP who is essentially "in charge" of the APPs at your practice. If you could tell me the type of practice you work in, location (state), job description for head APP (rough expectations), and stipend/benefits for that position I would greatly appreciate it. 

Edited by Mopac
  • 4 months later...

An APP supervisor I knew in a large ED group oversaw about 25 APPs in the department. Made ~250k. Regular APPs who just worked their scheduled shifts with little OT ~160k. 

All are Hourly employees. Supervisor made more, but still worked a lot. Same benefits. Supervisor role has the ability to hire/fire, that’s the legal metric, among other administrative duties. 

Edited by deltawave
  • Like 1

worst job ever is lead PA in ER/UC

Why???

cause it really is just a head scheduler - can never make people happy, always end up having to work the shifts no one wants....

IF it is lead position without scheduling responsibilities sure - but no way in Heck would I ever take one that had scheduling involved...

• Like 1

I do the scheduling for my ED: 1 PA/NP shift/day.  2 FT'rs, 2 PT'rs, 2 PRN's.  Pretty much always, I'm able to keep the FT & PT folks happy, mostly able to keep the boss at home happy.  The PRN folks would like more shifts, but they're not to be had right now.  I can see that in a larger department it could be much harder.

I used to do the schedule for 12 PAs/NPs at a community hospital ED as the Lead APC. Did it for 2 years. Never again. As per Ventana's comment above, I always had the worst schedule. I scheduled myself after all the FT/PT folks and before the per diem. always worked too much with ugly turnarounds, etc. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By hipsnap21
      Hi everyone, I received my first offer today after applying for what feels like a million jobs. The position is in emergency medicine. It's a hospital I worked in prior to PA school. They are offering me the following: 
      $60/hour with a guarantee of 120 hours per month (equals out to $86,400 annually) 120 hours PTO annually and 40 hours long term sick annually. Malpractice and tail insurance as well as CME credits through the company's online learning institute.  Benefits: medical, eye, dental and 401K with up to 3% match after a year of employment No reimbursement for licensing, DEA, or CME allowance as they provide CME credits through their online learning institute. I'm satisfied with the hourly rate, it's pretty on par with what I see in the AAPA salary report for NY new grads, but my question is - is this a good offer? The annual salary is quite low compared to the salary report for EM positions, but I believe that's due to the low number of monthly hours. I've asked for a signon bonus and I've asked to be guaranteed 140 hours per month as that raises my salary considerably, but I'm looking for opinions as I'm new at this and want to make sure I don't take the first offer I get just out of excitement to be offered a job.

Thanks in advance!!
    • By sabella57
      Hello everyone!
      Thought I would get this page started so we can help each other out through this process. Good luck! 
    • By Jminugh
      Did anyone study some type of resource in advance for their ER rotation during clinical year? If so, what book/resource did you use? I have it as my first rotation and I am extremely interested in doing ER in the future so I definitely want to impress. Any tips would be great!
    • By Nypac21
      Hi all, 
      I'm a new grad starting out in ambulatory surgery-- I'm super excited because I love being hands on in the operating room. I was just wondering if any of the Surgical PAs could give some insights about ambulatory surgery? The site I'm going to be working at has 12 surgical subspecialities (list below). From what I gathered through the interview process, I'll be able to get experience in all of them. That being said I'm worried about being prepared and knowledgeable for cases. Anyone have any tips of how to study up, or even get more comfortable once starting? I have a little over a month before start date so any resources are welcome. Thanks in advance!
      List of subspecialities/ topics to brush up on🤯🥴: 

Bariatric surgery
      Breast surgery
      Colorectal surgery
      General surgery
      Head and neck surgery
      Minimally invasive gynecologic surgery
      Neurosurgery
      Ophthalmologic surgery
      Orthopedic surgery
      Pediatric surgery
      Podiatric surgery
      Sports medicine surgery
      Urologic surgery
      Vascular surgery

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More