Hi all. Our EM practice is in the works of developing a head PA/NP position (manager in a sense). Currently we have a liaison who is a physician-but the physician wants to turn it over to the APPs. Since this is a new trial process for our group, I wanted to reach out and see what the job description and stipend/benefits your group gives to the PA/NP who is essentially "in charge" of the APPs at your practice. If you could tell me the type of practice you work in, location (state), job description for head APP (rough expectations), and stipend/benefits for that position I would greatly appreciate it. 

Edited by Mopac

• 4 months later...

An APP supervisor I knew in a large ED group oversaw about 25 APPs in the department. Made ~250k. Regular APPs who just worked their scheduled shifts with little OT ~160k. 

All are Hourly employees. Supervisor made more, but still worked a lot. Same benefits. Supervisor role has the ability to hire/fire, that’s the legal metric, among other administrative duties. 

Edited by deltawave
  • Like 1

worst job ever is lead PA in ER/UC

Why???

cause it really is just a head scheduler - can never make people happy, always end up having to work the shifts no one wants....

IF it is lead position without scheduling responsibilities sure - but no way in Heck would I ever take one that had scheduling involved...

• Like 1

I used to do the schedule for 12 PAs/NPs at a community hospital ED as the Lead APC. Did it for 2 years. Never again. As per Ventana's comment above, I always had the worst schedule. I scheduled myself after all the FT/PT folks and before the per diem. always worked too much with ugly turnarounds, etc.