two Cs in my Prereq Courses

Hi everyone, 

Freshmen and Sophomore year, I received a C (1 in each yr) in two courses due to being mentally unstable after the death of someone close to me. The PA schools that I am looking at have the courses that received a C in as prereqs and I did not get to retake them. Now I am a senior in my undergrad and I am terrified whether AT LEAST ONE school will take me or none. What do you guys think? 

• Administrator
On 7/30/2020 at 1:33 PM, Ritzcrackers said:

Hi everyone, 

Freshmen and Sophomore year, I received a C (1 in each yr) in two courses due to being mentally unstable after the death of someone close to me. The PA schools that I am looking at have the courses that received a C in as prereqs and I did not get to retake them. Now I am a senior in my undergrad and I am terrified whether AT LEAST ONE school will take me or none. What do you guys think? 

Knowing nothing else about your application, I'd suspect that you need to retake both and get As in order to be competitive for any PA program.  Go look at the stats of accepted folks.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, rev ronin said:

Knowing nothing else about your application, I'd suspect that you need to retake both and get As in order to be competitive for any PA program.  Go look at the stats of accepted folks.

That being said, if your GPA is still high, you did well in your other classes, and you mention in your personal statement that someone close to you died that term, programs may overlook it, depending on what the courses were. If it was intro botany, no one will care. If it was A+P, that might be more of an issue. 

• Like 2

Thank you! 

On 8/1/2020 at 4:05 PM, EMEDPA said:

That being said, if your GPA is still high, you did well in your other classes, and you mention in your personal statement that someone close to you died that term, programs may overlook it, depending on what the courses were. If it was intro botany, no one will care. If it was A+P, that might be more of an issue. 

1 hour ago, BRKS1994 said:

If you have an upward trend I wouldn’t worry too much. I have multiple Cs for my pre reqs and got in this year. That being said I also have a high amount experience hours.

I'm in the same boat. Well I got a C in A&P 2 cause I was a foolish freshman. Im hopeful that a lot of quality PCE will count lol im lucky that my degree deals with anatomy and the work I do includes alot of anatomy. Hopefully @Ritzcrackers has a decent GPA some PCE! If those are there and an the Cs can have a little explanation then it'll probably be okay.

Edited by Kirby219

15 hours ago, Kirby219 said:

I'm in the same boat. Well I got a C in A&P 2 cause I was a foolish freshman. Im hopeful that a lot of quality PCE will count lol im lucky that my degree deals with anatomy and the work I do includes alot of anatomy. Hopefully @Ritzcrackers has a decent GPA some PCE! If those are there and an the Cs can have a little explanation then it'll probably be okay.

Exactly, I got a C in gen chem 2, and in both Orgo 1 and 2. Just made sure to have a solid GPA my last 60 hours and I applied with 8,000 PCE hours.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/5/2020 at 10:55 AM, BRKS1994 said:

Exactly, I got a C in gen chem 2, and in both Orgo 1 and 2. Just made sure to have a solid GPA my last 60 hours and I applied with 8,000 PCE hours.

If you don't mind me asking, was your science GPA at or higher than the school requirement or was it lower?