A.T. Still - Central Coast PA program (developing PA program in Santa Maria)

21 hours ago, monztran said:

Hi! So im in their first cohort right now and im enjoying every moment of it! like you've already heard, PA school is hard! Nothing about it is easy but it is very doable! It was difficult adjusting because it is PA school but also their teaching style is very different from the traditional way. We have class in person m/w/f and t/th are self paced learning. They give you modules, learning objects and resources that you have to read over, take notes about and study so you can come into class m/w/f prepared. Theres no traditional lecture model where a teacher lectures, talks and goes over powerpoints for 8hrs a day. How much you choose to read, study, learn and go over on t/th is reflected on how well you do on the quizzes and cases. This program is designed for you to work in your groups to model PAs working in a team and it forces you to think outside the box, use others as resources and also hold yourself accountable to come to class prepared. There are instructors in class who are there to help when you have questions, need more clarification on a case or when youre generally confused about a topic/disease/condition/etc. If you know that you are self-disciplined and will keep up with the material on your own and wont fall behind without an instructor lecturing to you and you like that sense of independence, then this program is up your ally! I enjoy working in my groups and i love them to death and everyone has something different to bring to the table when it comes to cases. But i also love studying on my own, going at my own pace and taking breaks when I want to. Its hard sitting through hours of lecture and going home that same day and reviewing it all again in time for the next day. During in person class, we also have a patient assessment portion where they take groups to the simulation patient rooms and teach you how to do a physical exam, a work up, how to interact with patients and how to write a SOAP note that goes along with what we're learning at the time. I had a hard time adjusting to school, moving, and living in a really different city compared to where i am from but i love my classmates, i love what im learning and im doing really well in school! Please DM if you have any questions! 

omg I love this program literally I think this is my top choice! How big is your class if I dont mind asking? I really really enjoy the self paced learning, in fact when taking online courses that were self-paced i got straight A rather than classes where the teacher just lectured and left in undergrad. How have the exams been are they online , paper, multiple choice, essays, what has your favorite class been. what is the santa maria area like? I am also nervous about moving across the country to a new city especially since for undergrad i went a state school near where i lived and commuted for majority. I know some programs are pass fail, what grade would be pass in this program an 80? did you have your white coat ceremony (i know this is kinda relevant but like its an exciting moment to think about so I had to ask) I applied and waiting to hear back for the 2022 cohort and this is the program I am really looking foward to hearing back from. I knew i loved it the moment i spoke to someone at a virtual info session and it seems like the facility really do want to do your best. did they speak about clinical rotations and how you have to move to another state? Do you get to pick the state you move to or is it random? Do they have "dorms" or is like you have to find out for yourself to find living arrangements. Also is campus hard to navigate? 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2022 at 6:59 PM, eandersen3733 said:

Hello everyone! I'm not sure if the first cohort still reads these forums but I wanted to know how you all are liking the program so far/ how's the didactic year going? Thanks! 

Hello! The short answer is that I am grateful to be part of this program.

I am in their current cohort and absolutely love the heart of this program - everything you learn here is in line with the mission statement. While the course work during the preclinical year is very difficult (as expected in PA school) and the pace is quick (also to be expected in PA school) it is well worth it. You'll come out here and know that you are genuinely cared for by the faculty and they will do everything they can to make you succeed. You work on teams from 8:00-5:30(ish) so we are lucky to have one another to lean on and learn from. I'm incredibly grateful to be here and wish you all the best of luck in your journey! I hope this is helpful!

• Like 3