Ask a PA Admissions Director

@dndadrea Thank you for your question. To be honest I've never seen Endo as a required prerequisite, so I'm really unsure if it would matter to the programs you're applying to whether or not you're taking the course and/or if it would warrant you informing them about  the change. I would respond back to those confirmation emails to ask if an updated transcript needs to be sent or if a simple email stating the change will suffice. Like I said, I don't think it would make that big of a difference, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Hope this helps!

Quick question... I already submitted my CASPA application and schools have already sent me emails verifying that they have received it. On my application I put Kinesiology as one of my fall 2014 classes. I just decided to switch that to Endocrinology instead since that'll benefit me way more than kinesiology. However, the schools will not know I switched. Is this something I should attempt to bring to their awareness, or will it not make much of a difference anyways? Thanks, I appreciate any advice you can give me!

@mlsiebe Thank you for your question. We do realize providers can get to know you on a more personal level than some, but if they are going to write a letter for you be sure to let them know to evaluate you on your professional attributes. A pet peeve is to see a provider start off by writing a great reference and then talk about how they've know the applicant since they were 10 , etc. You definitely don't want to coach them to the point where you're telling them what to write, but I would be adamant that it needs to be as professional as possible. If you have other providers who you know well and who you feel can write you a good letter you may want to ask them. Hope this helps!

Does the admissions team look at the resume of your letter of recommendation writers?  I am applying late for next year because I decided late to try PA school then I had to wait for the VA to approve me for the program.  My question is does the individual or their position matter?  My three letters of recommendation are coming from my A&P Professor who:

2002 - B.Sc, Applied Biochemistry, University of Liverpool, UK

2006 - PhD, Biological Sciences (Cell Biology), University of Liverpool, UK

Post-Doctoral Training

2006-2008 – Dept. of Systems Biology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA
2008-2013 - Dept. of Pathology, University of Cambridge, UK

Teaching

BIOL 6270 – Cell Metabolism and Human Disease

And he is currently doing research on Parkinson's Disease.

Another is from an MD and he is one of the founding members of a local pathology lab.  He is a very close personal friend and he knows me on a personal and professional level.  Both his daughters were in my wedding, close.

The third is from an MD who works in the ER of a local hospital.  He also knows me personally, he knows my honesty and work ethic because in a past life I owned a spray foam insulation business and I did an insulation upgrade on his home.  Our sons were also on the same baseball team.

So once again does the prominence of the person who writes my letter matter, do they do research on who has endorsed us?

@paadmissions thank you again for taking the time to answer all of our questions.  This is a wonderful resource. 

I have a question regarding a secondary I'm completing. 

• Why have you chosen to apply to a primary care PA program rather than a nurse practitioner (NP) program or medical school (MD/DO)?  Please address both of the other professions.

"There are many factors that contributed to my decision to pursue a career as a physician assistant. When I began volunteering in the health care setting I knew I wanted to be in an area of medicine where I had some autonomy and also, the knowledge and skills to treat and diagnose illnesses. I looked into many healthcare professions, MD, NP, and PA and after spending time shadowing multiple physician assistants I knew this was the career path for me. I am attracted to the time spent and relationships built between physician assistants and their patients, the autonomous yet dependent nature of the profession, the lateral mobility, the ability to began practicing right out of graduate school versus having a residency, receiving training under the medical model, being trained as a generalist and be exposed to a variety of specialties, and the collaborative nature between MDs and physician assistants.  "

Should I be more explicit with why not NP/MD? I covered it by saying why I'm attracted to PA, but should I say "I don't want to be a NP/ MD  because..." or do you feel that what is written shows why I don't want to be in either of those fields.   

Hi,

Thank you for all of your help. I currently have offers of LORs from a PA I shadowed, the professor I mentioned earlier, the volunteer director of a clinic where I volunteered as a medical assistant, and the volunteer director of the clinic I currently volunteer as a medical assistant at and I know that CASPA requires only three and I am having trouble deciding which three to include. I was wondering if I should include all four LORs and rely on the schools to decide which ones to look at or if I should just include the PA, the professor and one volunteer director. If you suggest the latter would it be better for me to use the LOR from the more recent volunteer director or from the one in the past who I had a longer time volunteering under. 

Also, this is my second time applying and the PA, the professor and the old volunteer director all wrote LORs for me in my last application and I was wondering if that matters much to admissions committees, and if so should I then include the LOR from my new volunteer director. 

Once again thank you for all of your help.

@fakhan That will depend on how many letters are required for the programs you're applying to and out of those letters who the programs want to see writing those letters. For example, we like to see 1 academic reference and 2 clinical references. I think all 3 of the individuals you've mentioned would be ok, but it depends on the programs. If you've spent quality time with a PA I would encourage you to also have them write a letter on your behalf. Thanks!

I also wanted to ask, since this is my second time applying, how much should I change my narrative? I felt like I wrote a really good narrative in my last application and was even commended on it on the couple of interviews I was invited to and I was wondering if I need to rewrite the entire narrative from scratch or if it would be ok to just add enough to it to show my growth as a candidate from last year? 

Thank you

@mlsiebe Sorry I missed that part. I guess it would carry some weight, but unless the author includes that in the LOR we typically don't see their background. If the program is familiar with the provider (meaning he/she is a well-respected provider in the community, is a clinical preceptor, or nationally recognized for his/her work) it may help, but like I mentioned before, unless he/she puts it in the letter we don't know much about the provider.

Thanks for the advice on how personal the letter should be.  What about the other half of the question, does the resume of the letter writer have an influence?  

@april_louise Thanks for the question and sorry for the delay. In my opinion, I think you're on the right track. I would also elaborate about why you're interested in primary care: For example:

- Go into more detail about how mid-level providers will help meet the demands of primary care

- Acknowledge that you understand the pros and cons of working in primary care vs a specialty field

- What skill sets and clinical experience have you had in PC.

- Any particular interest in rural or medically underserved areas

In my opinion, if you provide a little more insight into PC that will definitely help add more substance to the response. Hope this helps. 

@paadmissions thank you again for taking the time to answer all of our questions.  This is a wonderful resource. 

I have a question regarding a secondary I'm completing. 

• Why have you chosen to apply to a primary care PA program rather than a nurse practitioner (NP) program or medical school (MD/DO)?  Please address both of the other professions.

"There are many factors that contributed to my decision to pursue a career as a physician assistant. When I began volunteering in the health care setting I knew I wanted to be in an area of medicine where I had some autonomy and also, the knowledge and skills to treat and diagnose illnesses. I looked into many healthcare professions, MD, NP, and PA and after spending time shadowing multiple physician assistants I knew this was the career path for me. I am attracted to the time spent and relationships built between physician assistants and their patients, the autonomous yet dependent nature of the profession, the lateral mobility, the ability to began practicing right out of graduate school versus having a residency, receiving training under the medical model, being trained as a generalist and be exposed to a variety of specialties, and the collaborative nature between MDs and physician assistants.  "

Should I be more explicit with why not NP/MD? I covered it by saying why I'm attracted to PA, but should I say "I don't want to be a NP/ MD  because..." or do you feel that what is written shows why I don't want to be in either of those fields.   

@fakhan I would probably go with the latter 3 you mentioned, but ask them to write new LORs. We like to see a new application for reapplicants. The letter does not have to be completely rewritten, but they may want to acknowledge (as I've seen some do with our applicants) that they know your first attempt at PA school was unsuccessful, but this is what you've done to improve your chances, either academically or clinically. If you're able to submit additional LORs to the programs you're applying to I would submit the other(s) once your application is received. Hope this helps!

Hi,

Thank you for all of your help. I currently have offers of LORs from a PA I shadowed, the professor I mentioned earlier, the volunteer director of a clinic where I volunteered as a medical assistant, and the volunteer director of the clinic I currently volunteer as a medical assistant at and I know that CASPA requires only three and I am having trouble deciding which three to include. I was wondering if I should include all four LORs and rely on the schools to decide which ones to look at or if I should just include the PA, the professor and one volunteer director. If you suggest the latter would it be better for me to use the LOR from the more recent volunteer director or from the one in the past who I had a longer time volunteering under. 

Also, this is my second time applying and the PA, the professor and the old volunteer director all wrote LORs for me in my last application and I was wondering if that matters much to admissions committees, and if so should I then include the LOR from my new volunteer director. 

Once again thank you for all of your help.

@fakhan I don't think you'll have to change it completely, but I would put what you've improved upon or learned over the past year somewhere in the statement. Thanks!

I also wanted to ask, since this is my second time applying, how much should I change my narrative? I felt like I wrote a really good narrative in my last application and was even commended on it on the couple of interviews I was invited to and I was wondering if I need to rewrite the entire narrative from scratch or if it would be ok to just add enough to it to show my growth as a candidate from last year? 

Thank you

@cha-latte Thanks for your question. I probably would not recommend a retake if that's the only C  you've scored in your sciences. I don't see physics as a common prerequisite for a lot of programs, but if the program you're applying to requires it you could consider retaking it. However, like I said, if you're solid in all the other prereqs, even if physics is a requirement, I don't think one C would hurt. Thanks.

Hello,

I made a C in Physics II (4 credit hours) and my science GPA calculation is 3.41, but if I took retook the course and made an A, my GPA would be 3.46. Is it worth retaking this course? Thank you in advance.

@cha-latte Thanks for your question. I probably would not recommend a retake if that's the only C  you've scored in your sciences. I don't see physics as a common prerequisite for a lot of programs, but if the program you're applying to requires it you could consider retaking it. However, like I said, if you're solid in all the other prereqs, even if physics is a requirement, I don't think one C would hurt. Thanks.

Hi @paadmissions,

Thanks for the response; I will keep that in mind. That C does bug me though!

PA admissions director:

First, I know every admissions process may be different, but hopefully you may have some insight.

Okay, so I'm waiting for a notification post-interview. the interview dates were roughly Aug 21, 22, 28, and 29. The school is rolling admissions and sends out acceptance letters on a "rolling basis." I interviewed on the first day, Aug 21st, as I know, a few individuals were accepted from my interview date and as well as the 22nd. So, my question is - hypothetically, do admission committees (rolling admissions) complete the review of ALL applications of the first interview date BEFORE moving to the second date? Because I haven't heard anything, I was on the first date, yet someone from the second date (Aug 22nd) received an acceptance - does that mean they moved on from reviewing all apps on the first interview date, typically? That's what rolling basis means right or no? Do admission committee's go in any order typically?

As a reapplicant, I'm stressing out because I'd like to attend this program and I received commendable remarks from my interviewers and one even jokingly wanted to accept me on the spot, yet I haven't even heard anything from the school, despite the first come first serve basis the school runs on, of course I took everything with a grain of salt and still trying to be humble.

Interviews are just to get to know you beside the academics right? I felt great during the interview, for the first time and now the wait is driving me crazy when I see others getting accepted from not only the same interview date, but even dates past the one i attended and it's rolling admissions. The few (not sure how many) acceptances went out Monday and I've been just sitting in the dark for the past week.  

Would it hurt to email/send a letter to the program director about my interest/first choice to the program or is that overboard since they're very busy and  it sounds desperate?

Thank you very much

Hi PA Admissions!!

I plan on applying to the MU PA program after completing my bachelor degree. If I have worked as an EKG technician...will that count towards experience hours? I haven't seen it specifically listed on the websites of acceptable hours from a couple of different schools so just wanted to see if that will transfer as experience hours!

Thank you!

@torshi Thank you for your question and sorry for the delay. Based on the fact that others who interviewed after you received a response I think you would've received a response regarding your interview by now. Rather than contacting the program director, send a polite email to the admissions coordinator or whomever you corresponded with up until your interview day to see if you've missed an email. It may be that they only send out acceptance letters and other decisions come later..but that's pure speculation and I don't want to heighten your anxiety as you await their response. I think you're ok with sending an email to the appropriate person just to inquire, especially if they didn't give you a window of time for a response on your interview day. Hope this helps!

PA admissions director:

First, I know every admissions process may be different, but hopefully you may have some insight.

Okay, so I'm waiting for a notification post-interview. the interview dates were roughly Aug 21, 22, 28, and 29. The school is rolling admissions and sends out acceptance letters on a "rolling basis." I interviewed on the first day, Aug 21st, as I know, a few individuals were accepted from my interview date and as well as the 22nd. So, my question is - hypothetically, do admission committees (rolling admissions) complete the review of ALL applications of the first interview date BEFORE moving to the second date? Because I haven't heard anything, I was on the first date, yet someone from the second date (Aug 22nd) received an acceptance - does that mean they moved on from reviewing all apps on the first interview date, typically? That's what rolling basis means right or no? Do admission committee's go in any order typically?

As a reapplicant, I'm stressing out because I'd like to attend this program and I received commendable remarks from my interviewers and one even jokingly wanted to accept me on the spot, yet I haven't even heard anything from the school, despite the first come first serve basis the school runs on, of course I took everything with a grain of salt and still trying to be humble.

Interviews are just to get to know you beside the academics right? I felt great during the interview, for the first time and now the wait is driving me crazy when I see others getting accepted from not only the same interview date, but even dates past the one i attended and it's rolling admissions. The few (not sure how many) acceptances went out Monday and I've been just sitting in the dark for the past week.  

Would it hurt to email/send a letter to the program director about my interest/first choice to the program or is that overboard since they're very busy and  it sounds desperate?

Thank you very much

@torshi Thank you for your question and sorry for the delay. Based on the fact that others who interviewed after you received a response I think you would've received a response regarding your interview by now. Rather than contacting the program director, send a polite email to the admissions coordinator or whomever you corresponded with up until your interview day to see if you've missed an email. It may be that they only send out acceptance letters and other decisions come later..but that's pure speculation and I don't want to heighten your anxiety as you await their response. I think you're ok with sending an email to the appropriate person just to inquire, especially if they didn't give you a window of time for a response on your interview day. Hope this helps!

PA admissions director:

Thank you very much

@stephanieP Thanks for your question and it's great to hear of your interest in our program. Yes, EKG techs do count for our clinical experience requirement. Thanks!

Hi PA Admissions!!

I plan on applying to the MU PA program after completing my bachelor degree. If I have worked as an EKG technician...will that count towards experience hours? I haven't seen it specifically listed on the websites of acceptable hours from a couple of different schools so just wanted to see if that will transfer as experience hours!

Thank you!

Hi PA Admissions!

Thank you for all the good work you are doing on this forum! I have a few questions about my chances on getting an interview or what I can do to increase my chances. Right now, I am looking to submit my application next year (Summer, 2015).

25 yo female.

Undergrad GPA - 3.29 (Math/Psychology double major)

Grad GPA - 4.0 - Psychology M.A.

Postbacc GPA - 4.0 - only science courses (bio and chem) taken at both comm college and university level.

GRE (old format) - 1370/1600

My questions are primarily about health related experience:

- Did a paid student internship for one year (part-time) in the Department of Psychiatry - worked at outpatient Psychiatry with Anxiety patients as part of NIMH research study and did data collection (screening participants, EKG, psychiatric questionnaires). Some schools say they don't accept student experience, but would this count as student experience if it wasn't part of my curriculum, but just something I was interested in doing? (and I guess got paid for it too). This was a while back though (4 years ago). Would this be an acceptable HCE in general even though it is a bit old?

- Then ended up doing animal research (instead of human) in grad school for 2 years due to some funding issues, was ok - stayed in basic research for one more year after grad school, realized it is too much theory and not enough application for me. As cliché as it sounds, I really did want to make a difference for someone, so:

- Right now I am working as a clinical research coordinator in Psychiatry - evenly split between interviewing (clinical and cognitive assessments) mood disorder patients, control subjects, and doing data analysis. Would the time with patients be considered HCE?

- Also getting phlebotomy certified now and hoping to get more experience in that area before my application.

Other things I've done and going now include leadership positions in college, currently teaching science as an adjunct, a lot of volunteer hours (not sure exact number) - from community service to science outreach in schools and during science fairs.

So this turned out a lot longer than I thought, and I realize that everyone is different but any feedback on general stats would be greatly appreciated. I have given a lot of thought to switching from basic research to a clinical field and I am rather confident that it is something I want to do and can articulate it in PS and during interview. However, I want to make sure that I can play the game, so to speak, and be competitive on paper when I submit my application.

Any suggestions on areas of improvement or glaring omissions in my application would be greatly appreciated! Again, thanks so much!

Hello PA Admissions! 

Most of the programs I plan on applying to have pre-reqs such as General Chem 1 & 2 and college algebra or statistics (in addition to all of the bio pre-reqs). Do you think that having gone up to calculus 3 and having gone way beyond gen chem 1 & 2 (ochem 1 & 2, biochem, and inorganic chem to name a few. I am a chem major) will be to my advantage? I am asking because I anticipate to graduate with a gpa of around 3.5 and I am under the impression that it is quite average. Will this give me any leeway for not having such a stellar gpa? I understand gpa isn't everything. I am also currently working on having great HCE, LORs, GRE, and extra curricular activities. 

Thank you!

@jrhamstercat Thank you for your questions and sorry for the delay. The answer to that question varies from program to program. The one experience I'm certain most programs would count would be the phlebotomist position. The internship, if done outside of academic credit, may count for some programs, but again it depends the program's interpretation of the hours. The animal  hours probably will not count for clinical experience, and I think your time with patients as the clinical research coordinator would count. It's important to be very specific with your responsibilities on your application and make sure to only include patient contact in the patient contact section of your application (don't mix in administrative responsibilities in that section). I hope this helps! 

Hi PA Admissions!

Thank you for all the good work you are doing on this forum! I have a few questions about my chances on getting an interview or what I can do to increase my chances. Right now, I am looking to submit my application next year (Summer, 2015).

25 yo female.

Undergrad GPA - 3.29 (Math/Psychology double major)

Grad GPA - 4.0 - Psychology M.A.

Postbacc GPA - 4.0 - only science courses (bio and chem) taken at both comm college and university level.

GRE (old format) - 1370/1600

My questions are primarily about health related experience:

- Did a paid student internship for one year (part-time) in the Department of Psychiatry - worked at outpatient Psychiatry with Anxiety patients as part of NIMH research study and did data collection (screening participants, EKG, psychiatric questionnaires). Some schools say they don't accept student experience, but would this count as student experience if it wasn't part of my curriculum, but just something I was interested in doing? (and I guess got paid for it too). This was a while back though (4 years ago). Would this be an acceptable HCE in general even though it is a bit old?

- Then ended up doing animal research (instead of human) in grad school for 2 years due to some funding issues, was ok - stayed in basic research for one more year after grad school, realized it is too much theory and not enough application for me. As cliché as it sounds, I really did want to make a difference for someone, so:

- Right now I am working as a clinical research coordinator in Psychiatry - evenly split between interviewing (clinical and cognitive assessments) mood disorder patients, control subjects, and doing data analysis. Would the time with patients be considered HCE?

- Also getting phlebotomy certified now and hoping to get more experience in that area before my application.

Other things I've done and going now include leadership positions in college, currently teaching science as an adjunct, a lot of volunteer hours (not sure exact number) - from community service to science outreach in schools and during science fairs.

So this turned out a lot longer than I thought, and I realize that everyone is different but any feedback on general stats would be greatly appreciated. I have given a lot of thought to switching from basic research to a clinical field and I am rather confident that it is something I want to do and can articulate it in PS and during interview. However, I want to make sure that I can play the game, so to speak, and be competitive on paper when I submit my application.

Any suggestions on areas of improvement or glaring omissions in my application would be greatly appreciated! Again, thanks so much!

@glopez Thank you for your questions. Anything above and beyond what a program requires, in my opinion, looks good to an admissions committee...especially if you've performed well.  A lot of programs may not require Org II and Biochemistry so if you've taken those (or similar courses that are difficult) and done well, I think that may enhance your application quite a bit. I wouldn't sell yourself too short by saying that a 3.5 is average. You'll be in a favorable position with that type of GPA and if your prerequisite GPA is equivalent or higher (and other factors are exceeding recommendations) you may have a more of a chance than you think. Hope this helps!

Hello PA Admissions! 

Most of the programs I plan on applying to have pre-reqs such as General Chem 1 & 2 and college algebra or statistics (in addition to all of the bio pre-reqs). Do you think that having gone up to calculus 3 and having gone way beyond gen chem 1 & 2 (ochem 1 & 2, biochem, and inorganic chem to name a few. I am a chem major) will be to my advantage? I am asking because I anticipate to graduate with a gpa of around 3.5 and I am under the impression that it is quite average. Will this give me any leeway for not having such a stellar gpa? I understand gpa isn't everything. I am also currently working on having great HCE, LORs, GRE, and extra curricular activities. 

Thank you!

First time poster, long time lurker.  Just here to ask a simple "do you think I stand a rat's chance in hell at being accepted?" type of question.

I am former Army Combat Medic of four years (and a Combat Medical Badge recipient) and EMT-B of three years with easily 8,000hrs of HCE.  I am currently a Junior who has had nothing but 3.0-3.6 GPA semesters since I've started at this university in the Spring of 2013.  I have plenty of professors and military healthcare professionals that are willing to write me a letter of recommendation.

My biggest fear is from my first stint at college in 2005 where I finished with a 0.725 GPA.  This was before I enlisted in the Army.  I was eighteen, naive and truly did not understand what I wanted to do with my life.  In turn, this has dragged my overall GPA down to a 2.6 as of this moment.  I have put it much hard work into my current studies in an effort to showcase how much I have changed as an individual over time.

Will admissions brush me off simply because of my less-than-stellar performance from almost ten years ago?  If so, are there any other methods around this, such as increased community service, job shadowing, etc?

Thank you for your time.