Ask a PA Admissions Director

Dear PAAdmissions,

I have recently graduated with most of my prerequisites finished and am currently taking a year off to attain HCE. Unfortunately, taking a CNA course and becoming certified is taking longer than I expected and the job market is not forgiving. I will be certified on November 11th, and plan to apply to as many jobs as possible then. However, I'm really worried about attaining 1000 hours of HCE. I have one year volunteer experience and about 100 hours of clinical research experience at a hospital (psychology screening for depression, attention problems, etc) - but these likely won't count as solid HCE. Do you think I can apply next year? I will be working full time, but finding a job thus far has been hard and I'm worried. I plan to volunteer at a free clinic if I don't find immediate work. My other stats are ok, I think (3.72 c.GPA, 3.6ish prerequisite GPA).

Thanks for your time!

Dear @paadmissions,

I have primarily obtained my HCE experience through medical scribing (both in a clinic and the ED). Initially I was worried some schools would disfavor scribing compared to other HCE jobs that are more "hands-on" (EMT, paramedic, etc.), but most programs I've talked to accept scribing towards such hours. However, to compensate for scribing I have also been volunteering to work with victims of domestic violence as well as volunteering at a pediatric hematology oncology clinic to gain more patient care experience. I am also concerned about my lack of current certifications, as I no longer have any up to date certifications (was previously a first responder but this expired). I considered applying to get certified as a phlebotomist or CNA, however it'd be difficult for me to commit to the time and funding at this point. Essentially my question is do you think it's necessary for me to still pursue another accepted "hands on" job that requires a certification? Or does my background sound sufficient enough to where my HCE would be considered a competitive applicant? (also just for a timeframe I have applied to programs this cycle but haven't heard back from any schools yet or had encouraging responses in which case I would re-apply next year but am also concerned that if I did get certified in another job I wouldn't be accruing many hours before the cycle options again in April).

Thank you very much for your time I really appreciate it!

Dear PA Admissions Director,

I am currently serving in US Navy as a Hospital Corpsman and have been in the Navy for a little over 3 years. I am also currently certified Medical Laboratory Technician(ASCP) and Medical Administrative Assistant(NHA). My current sGPA is 3.63 and cGPA is 3.47. I will be getting my BS in Clinical Laboratory Science by the end of this year or Spring 2015. I have nearly 4000 patient care and clinical hours. Hopefully, I will be able to raise my GPA up with the remaining courses. Any thoughts and input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

What is the best way to ask for the interviewers name and address so I can send a formal thank you letter. I have read this is the best practice to send a letter afterwards but I don't want to seem like a stalker. Is it ok to ask and mention so I can send them a thank you? Or what would you recommend?

I apologize if you already addressed this in your posts.

@paadmissions What is your opinion on prospective students calling programs they haven't heard from in a while regarding their application status? When do schools make most of their final decisions for interviews? For example, I have heard stories of prospective students not hearing from programs for a couple of months and then calling and being told by admissions that they should have been sent an invitation to interview (I know this probably doesn't happen often, but it does happen.) I do not want to nag the admissions department because I know how much they have to deal with, but also worried about potentially "slipping through the cracks." 

Thank you for your time!

@undergradx Thanks for your question and sorry for the delay. If the programs you're applying to are averaging over 1000 hours of HCE, you may want to consider taking another cycle off to be more competitive. I'm assuming that if 1000 hours are required, more than likely the people who they are interviewing and accepting are at or more than likely exceeding that requirement. Make sure to research your programs to see if they have to be done at the time of application. If that is the case, you'll definitely need to delay the application because you're not meeting the requirement. Hope this helps!

Dear PAAdmissions,

I have recently graduated with most of my prerequisites finished and am currently taking a year off to attain HCE. Unfortunately, taking a CNA course and becoming certified is taking longer than I expected and the job market is not forgiving. I will be certified on November 11th, and plan to apply to as many jobs as possible then. However, I'm really worried about attaining 1000 hours of HCE. I have one year volunteer experience and about 100 hours of clinical research experience at a hospital (psychology screening for depression, attention problems, etc) - but these likely won't count as solid HCE. Do you think I can apply next year? I will be working full time, but finding a job thus far has been hard and I'm worried. I plan to volunteer at a free clinic if I don't find immediate work. My other stats are ok, I think (3.72 c.GPA, 3.6ish prerequisite GPA).

Thanks for your time!

@sjpalmer Thank you for your question and sorry for the delay. From our standpoint, I think your hours are sufficient and I would not encourage you to get further certifications. I don't want to speak on behalf of other programs, but if they accept your scribing hours I don't see a reason why you should pursue any other certification further. Hope this helps!

Dear @paadmissions,

I have primarily obtained my HCE experience through medical scribing (both in a clinic and the ED). Initially I was worried some schools would disfavor scribing compared to other HCE jobs that are more "hands-on" (EMT, paramedic, etc.), but most programs I've talked to accept scribing towards such hours. However, to compensate for scribing I have also been volunteering to work with victims of domestic violence as well as volunteering at a pediatric hematology oncology clinic to gain more patient care experience. I am also concerned about my lack of current certifications, as I no longer have any up to date certifications (was previously a first responder but this expired). I considered applying to get certified as a phlebotomist or CNA, however it'd be difficult for me to commit to the time and funding at this point. Essentially my question is do you think it's necessary for me to still pursue another accepted "hands on" job that requires a certification? Or does my background sound sufficient enough to where my HCE would be considered a competitive applicant? (also just for a timeframe I have applied to programs this cycle but haven't heard back from any schools yet or had encouraging responses in which case I would re-apply next year but am also concerned that if I did get certified in another job I wouldn't be accruing many hours before the cycle options again in April).

Thank you very much for your time I really appreciate it!

@mw1n5d4 Thank you for your question and sorry for the delay. Fun fact is that your username looks like a security key for my wireless access at home ;) I think you'd be fairly competitive based on your background and grades. If you were to apply to our program we would also factor in GRE scores. I would encourage you to go ahead and prepare for it, if you have not already, and sit for it sooner, rather than later, which would allow you enough time to retake it if you're not happy with your scores. Hope this helps!

Dear PA Admissions Director,

I am currently serving in US Navy as a Hospital Corpsman and have been in the Navy for a little over 3 years. I am also currently certified Medical Laboratory Technician(ASCP) and Medical Administrative Assistant(NHA). My current sGPA is 3.63 and cGPA is 3.47. I will be getting my BS in Clinical Laboratory Science by the end of this year or Spring 2015. I have nearly 4000 patient care and clinical hours. Hopefully, I will be able to raise my GPA up with the remaining courses. Any thoughts and input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

@apatterson Thank you for your question. I would contact the admissions representative or whoever you've had the most contact with up until your interview day. They should have that information. If that person doesn't exist, go on the PA program's website and look up the faculty members names. They may have pictures for you to put a name and face together. Mail the letters to the address of the program or to the main school address (Attn: Joe Doe Physician Assistant Program) and hopefully the card should reach them. I see nothing wrong with a thank you card. Hope this helps!

What is the best way to ask for the interviewers name and address so I can send a formal thank you letter. I have read this is the best practice to send a letter afterwards but I don't want to seem like a stalker. Is it ok to ask and mention so I can send them a thank you? Or what would you recommend?

I apologize if you already addressed this in your posts.

@papp123 Thank you for your question. My rule of thumb is to follow up with a program 1 or 2 times...no more than 2. Every program will close considerations out at different times during a cycle so it's hard for me to answer that question. Our program closes out considerations May 1. We always contact applicants who do not receive interviews via email. If you qualify for an interview we will contact you (as do other programs). I always follow up with phone calls if we don't hear from applicants who we've invited via email, but that's different at every program. If you don't receive an interview, follow up with the programs and ask how you can improve your application. You may find that there simply were not enough seats to invite you in this year and maybe no recommendations to improve your file are needed. Hope this helps!

@paadmissions What is your opinion on prospective students calling programs they haven't heard from in a while regarding their application status? When do schools make most of their final decisions for interviews? For example, I have heard stories of prospective students not hearing from programs for a couple of months and then calling and being told by admissions that they should have been sent an invitation to interview (I know this probably doesn't happen often, but it does happen.) I do not want to nag the admissions department because I know how much they have to deal with, but also worried about potentially "slipping through the cracks." 

Thank you for your time!

@paadmissions:

I interviewed at a school on oct 24th that says that they prefer that all prerequisites be taken at 4 yr schools. I took A&P at a community college but my professor was an MD and that course was very challenging. I forgot to mention this to them at the interview and now I'm imagining that as they review my file for possible admission, this information could make a difference. Should I contact them with this? If so, via which format? And, as the interview was MMI, I'm not sure which interviewer to contact. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Dear Paadmissions, 

First of all, thank you for your time and willingness to help out future students! It's greatly appreciated! 

1. My cumulative undergrad GPA is a 3.2 (had an upward trend in grades and an avg. of 3.5 my junior and senior year of college) and I wanted to know if it would be better to retake some of the general biology/chemistry classes that I took early in my college career and didn't do so well in or to take an upper level science course and do well in it. In my Human Anatomy, Human Physiology, Microbiology, and Biochemistry classes I've received an A so I am just confused about whether or not it would be worth retaking a lower level science class. 

2. I was a Health Science major and just wanted a clarification in regards to what classes are considered into the overall science GPA. Some of the classes in my major included: Epidemiology, Health Behavior Change, Intro to Human Diseases, U.S. Health Care System, and Medical Terminology. I know these are not the typical science classes one thinks of, so I would love to hear your thoughts! Thank you once again for your time!

Hello!

Firstly, I'd like to echo @richat1219's question about what type or level of post bacc classes will be most effective at repairing lackluster grades in classes like general chemistry and biology. 

Also, I am currently finishing up my two-year service as an HIV and Child/Maternal Health Volunteer with the Peace Corps in East Africa. Do PA schools typically consider Peace Corps service as HCE hours, and do you know of any schools that tend to place high value on Returned Peace Corps Volunteer applicants?

Thanks so much!

@paadmissions  Where would I be looked at in regards to academic performance if my undergrad GPA is 3.1 and science undergrad is 2.8 but then having a doctorate in chiropractic with an overall GPA of 3.2 with all upper level harder courses?  Would my doctorate classes help my case of my low undergrad scores?  Also where does 2 years of being a chiropractor look in regards to HCE?  

I am a Junior Nutrition/ Pre-professional health major. I have a 3.9 overall GPA and a 3.76 science GPA. I am very involved on campus, serving in numerous leadership and ambassador positions. I am also part of several honor societies. I currently have a nutrition internship with the university's athletic program. I have been volunteering weekly for the cancer center at our university hospital for two and a half years, and I have shadowed a few PAs (I'm planning to shadow more next semester). I have been unable to fit a paid job into my schedule and am afraid that not having paid experience will hinder my application. Any thoughts?

@paadmissions According to CASPA I have 1,440 HCE hours from 6 years ago; 2,100 other HCE hours and 47 shadowing hours. I started working as a medical assistant full time after I submitted my CASPA in Sept. Would you recommend sending an updated HCE hours document to the programs I have already applied to? I appreciate any advice.

Hello there paadmissions.

I have posted here with different questions and value your opinion. Again, thank you for taking your time to help all of us.

I would love your take on something weighing on my mind.

As I read the posts, I am very much impressed by everyone's stats. But I do not learn why or how these stats will equate to being a good PA.

High marks do surely indicate how well a student may fare in a Master's program.

With that said, I am sure this is where the interview comes into play.

My question for you is, in your experience in admissions, what do you look for in an interviewee? If you can reveal that?

If we all had the SAME stats, how do we distinguish ourselves from the next applicant? Other than by being ourselves (professional selves! Lol)

In a past post on this thread, I expressed my anxiety over not having a premium gpa.

I do have upward trend in my grades and am working to the best of my ability, but I do not see a 3.6, 3.8 or higher in my future, with past grades weighing me down. I am a nontrad student with a family. In respect to time and money, retaking courses from my early 20's would not be feasible.

However, I feel as though I will shine in other ways. GRE, personal statement, HCE.

And hopefully my personality and sincerity about learning the profession will be showcased in an interview.

But never mind what we WANT to show you in an interview. What do you want to SEE in an interview that makes you think this student has what it takes?

Thanks! ????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@arosswoods Sorry for the delay. I would think if that is the only course you've taken at the cc level you're probably ok. Their policy sounds kinda similar to ours where we prefer, not require, all prereqs to be taken at a 4 year school. However, we have some applicants who have taken a few of the prereqs at the cc and they have been accepted. To be honest, I don't think I would recommend that you contact them with this information, but should you go ahead with providing the information, an email to the admissions representative should be sent to be passed along to the faculty members. I may be a little relaxed about it, but I don't think you need to worry about it. Hope this helps. 

@paadmissions:
I interviewed at a school on oct 24th that says that they prefer that all prerequisites be taken at 4 yr schools. I took A&P at a community college but my professor was an MD and that course was very challenging. I forgot to mention this to them at the interview and now I'm imagining that as they review my file for possible admission, this information could make a difference. Should I contact them with this? If so, via which format? And, as the interview was MMI, I'm not sure which interviewer to contact. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

@richat1219 Thank you for your question and sorry for the delay. I don't think it would be worth your time to retake the lower level classes. Your focus now should be on the prerequisite courses that are required for the programs that interest you. If you're grades are solid in all of the prereqs (the few you've listed are good) consider taking upper level courses like cell physiology, medical micro, etc. These are good preparatory classes and may enhance your application. In regards to which classes are counted in the science gpa, every program looks at them differently...but our program looks at the CASPA calculated science GPA. If you go on CASPA's FAQ page, it lists specifically which biology, chemistry (inorganic and organic), biochemistry, and physics classes are counted in that GPA. I don't think the majority of the courses you've listed will count towards any of those categories. Hope this helps!

Dear Paadmissions, 

First of all, thank you for your time and willingness to help out future students! It's greatly appreciated! 

1. My cumulative undergrad GPA is a 3.2 (had an upward trend in grades and an avg. of 3.5 my junior and senior year of college) and I wanted to know if it would be better to retake some of the general biology/chemistry classes that I took early in my college career and didn't do so well in or to take an upper level science course and do well in it. In my Human Anatomy, Human Physiology, Microbiology, and Biochemistry classes I've received an A so I am just confused about whether or not it would be worth retaking a lower level science class. 

2. I was a Health Science major and just wanted a clarification in regards to what classes are considered into the overall science GPA. Some of the classes in my major included: Epidemiology, Health Behavior Change, Intro to Human Diseases, U.S. Health Care System, and Medical Terminology. I know these are not the typical science classes one thinks of, so I would love to hear your thoughts! Thank you once again for your time!

@mackenzie.dc Thank you for your question and sorry for the delay. See my response to @richat219's question about the lower level classes. In regards to your hours, I would contact the programs that interest you, with a detailed description of your job responsibilities, to see if they would count. Your experience is not the norm, which isn't a bad thing, but it doesn't hurt to get clarification on those hours. I've heard of programs counting Peace Corp hours so you may be ok. Hope this helps. 

Hello!

Firstly, I'd like to echo @richat1219's question about what type or level of post bacc classes will be most effective at repairing lackluster grades in classes like general chemistry and biology. 

Also, I am currently finishing up my two-year service as an HIV and Child/Maternal Health Volunteer with the Peace Corps in East Africa. Do PA schools typically consider Peace Corps service as HCE hours, and do you know of any schools that tend to place high value on Returned Peace Corps Volunteer applicants?

Thanks so much!

@jackonrford Thank you for your question. Our program follows the same policy that we want to see behavioral (psychology) sciences and not social sciences (i.e sociology).  My stab at the difference between the two is  that behavioral sciences focus on the actual behavior of humans and scientifics behind why we act the way we do. Social sciences focuses more on the outside contributing factors have on an organization or society. My opinion is that the PA curriculum focuses on how things work in the body and behavioral sciences fit that model. Hope this helps and makes sense. 

So im struggling with this my school made me take some classes they require as behavioral sciences when I applied to the schools they are taking them as social sciences and not behavioral sciences so my question what is like the text book definition with the differences between social and behavioral sciences.

@brody31 Thank you for your classes. We have had several applicants in the same situation over the past years. My take on it is that yes, your doctorate work and HCE as a chiropractor is noticed and puts you in a different category than most applicants. That said, your doctorate work will not replace poor performances in the prerequisite classes if you performed poorly in them in undergrad and did not take them at the doctorate level. For example, if you scored Cs in your Organic Chemistries (and OC is required for the programs you're applying to) and you did not take OC in chiropractor school, it doesn't matter how well you did at an advanced level with an array of different classes, you still need to demonstrate success  in the required coursework. Another example that I've run into with chiropractors is that if you did better in A&P in chiropractor school than in undergrad, we would count that for our A&P requirement over your undergrad...so there are some benefits to the courses you've taken in the doctoral program, but you need to make sure that any classes that need to be retaken are retaken to boost that prereq. GPA. I would assume your work as a chiropractor would count for most programs. We would also factor in GRE scores.This advice is how I would look at your file, but other programs may view it differently. Be sure to reach out to those programs before you apply. 

@paadmissions  Where would I be looked at in regards to academic performance if my undergrad GPA is 3.1 and science undergrad is 2.8 but then having a doctorate in chiropractic with an overall GPA of 3.2 with all upper level harder courses?  Would my doctorate classes help my case of my low undergrad scores?  Also where does 2 years of being a chiropractor look in regards to HCE?  

@zowalker Thank you for your question. Academically, I see no issues there. It's best to reach out to the programs you want to apply to to see if your hours thus far are acceptable. It may be that you'll need a gap year or two to get paid experience to be competitive with the programs you're applying to. In my opinion, you are not at a disadvantage if you take time off before applying to PA school. That real life experience and more time with PAs can be more beneficial to your understanding and may help deepen your desire to enter into the profession. Hope this helps!

I am a Junior Nutrition/ Pre-professional health major. I have a 3.9 overall GPA and a 3.76 science GPA. I am very involved on campus, serving in numerous leadership and ambassador positions. I am also part of several honor societies. I currently have a nutrition internship with the university's athletic program. I have been volunteering weekly for the cancer center at our university hospital for two and a half years, and I have shadowed a few PAs (I'm planning to shadow more next semester). I have been unable to fit a paid job into my schedule and am afraid that not having paid experience will hinder my application. Any thoughts?