Ask a PA Admissions Director

@michiganprepa Thank you for your question. In my opinion I think it's acceptable to send an email with updates like your community service. We accept them and welcome them. However, i prefer one or two updates not multiples ones every month. I would do your best to submit one large update rather than sending periodic emails throughout the cycle. Hope this helps!

Hello, thank you so much for all of the helpful advice. I know that we all appreciate you taking the time to answer our questions!

As a follow-up to the question asked by @megpvb2, is it appropriate to send "updates" to programs? For instance, I felt that I was lacking recent community service in my CASPA application, so I have become involved in some additional service work, and I would like the programs where I've applied to be aware of this. I don't want them to feel that I'm pressuring them for an admissions decision, I just want to include the additional experience in my file so that it is available when the AdCom reviews my information. At the same time, I realize that these programs are likely bombarded with emails and phone calls daily, and I can certainly respect that and exercise patience if you feel that is the preferred route.

Thank you!

@cbarna Thank you for your questions. You will need to perform well in your chemistries to be a competitive applicant for most programs. For applicants who apply to our program, you'll need to demonstrate a strong academic performance in those classes by achieving at least a 3.2, preferably higher, to be competitive. Our committee puts a lot of emphasis on an applicant's performance in chemistry and biology so if those grades are not at the benchmark mentioned above, you probably will not be a competitive applicant for programs that put heavy emphasis on those classes. Hope this helps!

Hi, I am currently a college sophomore studying medical technology who IDEALLY wants to go to PA school.  However, I have never been able to do Chemistry and still can not do well in it.  In both my Gen. Chem classes I received a C+ and now I am struggling through Orgo.  My GPA is currently a 2.99 (I know its awful, it'll go up after this semester) but I feel like everyone else has 3.3-3.7.  I need an honest opinion, should I be realistic and face the fact that I'm probably just not cut out for this or should I keep struggling through?   

I have applied to multiple schools and have heard back from some, but there are schools that I have yet to hear back from. I submitted my application and was verified the beginning of June. All the schools that I haven't heard back from has a rolling admissions process and have began the interview process.  My question is... Is it a fair assumption that I have been denied from these programs? Or do they look at my application when deciding on each interview session? I guess I am still confused on the rolling admissions process. I have the understanding that your application is reviewed when it is received, and if you qualify for an interview than they will contact you. And if you do not qualify they will also contact you. Any advice to help my understanding would be greatly appreciated! Thank you! 

Dear PA admissions,

Thank you for taking time and replying to our questions. The question I have for you is how does your age while applying to PA schools affect your application. I am 42 yrs old IMG ( International Medical Graduate). I have worked as an MA, EKG technician for more than 4 yrs to gain US clinical experience. I have more than 3000 hrs of HCE and very good PS and recommendations which reflect my passion for PA profession. I got good feed back from the program admitting counselor and she sounded very encouraging with my background and HCE . I also did all the prerequisites the school wanted and got a A in most of them. My overall science GPA is 4.0 and cumulative is 3.64.

Recently I went to my primary care physicians office for a routine exam and shared my passion to become a PA and completely got discouraged by her saying I am too old to get in to the school and that even if I get into a school and graduate as a PA it will be hard for me a get a job because I have to compete with younger PA's and will be left jobless. I argued with her that even though I am not very young I do have all this experience and I have lot to offer.

My question to you how would my age work against me if I have the experience , the passion and the maturity and stamina to succeed in PA school. Are younger PA's preferred more after the school. My personal opinion is that as long as you have the experience stamina and the maturity, and as you again wisdom through life experiences, age should be working for you not against you. I also had this feeling that the family practitioner was also little threatened, as though her patients will decrease if the PA population will increase. She was not very supportive of PA profession. Are family practitioners in general threatened by PA's just wanted to hear your perspective about this .

Felt little strange that instead of being supportive, some one would discourage you follow your dream or passion. She is encouraging me to go into other technician jobs. That's a big red flag for me. I am changing her any way as I have been there only couple of times, but just wanted to have a honest opinion form you about my age and PA school. Thank you.

• Upvote 1

Dear PA Admissions:

I wanted to run my stats by you and check on my competitiveness. I'm a bit worried about my GPA.

GPA:

Got my Associates in 1996. Got a 2.27 GPA with 62 credits

Graduated from Police Academy in 2008 with 46 credits and a 3.67 GPA

Currently a full time undergrad with a current GPA of 3.42 after 23 credits.

I calculated my CASPA GPA using their formulas. I have over 130 credits and my current overall GPA is a 2.97

I also have ACE credits through the Navy, but no grade is associated with those.

GRE is 316 with V of 165 (95%) and Q of 151 (44%) and a 4.0 (56%).

HCE from 8 years as a Navy Hospital Corpsman, 4 years Air Force medical tech reservist and 3 years as a CNA in the ED at John Hopkins comes to a little over 22,000 hours.  No shadowing yet, but I'm in the process of scheduling and coordinating with three PAs.

When I did the CASPA GPA my wife freaked out and is making me a bit nervous now. I feel like a competitive candidate, especially as I'll have this semester and next in the books when I apply to CASPA.  But, I'd love your take.  Thank you.

@empowred,

I am 46 and have an interview Saturday.  I have had nothing but positive feedback from the admissions folks at my school of choice.  I recommend you read "old man on campus" by Barry Brownstein.  Its a great book.  He went to PA school in his fifties.  We older ones bring a lot of experience and knowledge to the PA profession and I believe we have a place here.  I am just like you, hoping to get in, but I don't think its a negative, I think its a positive!  Don't listen to the naysayers!  My physician is the one who introduced me to PAs!  He has encouraged me all the way!  Don't just follow your dream girl, chase it and run it down!

• Upvote 4

I am currently enrolled in a CNA training program. Should I stop all advancements towards prepping for PA school until I speak to an admissions counsellor?

@mrtumus Thank you for your post and I'm sorry to hear of your experiences in the past. It is my hope that you are in a more stable place mentally and fingers crossed an incident like this will never happen again. I'm hoping you've also taken from this experience how to deal with any type of issues should they arise in the future because PA school and stress go hand and hand. Stress management is imperative once a part of any program. I do think an abbreviated and very fact-stated version of your past will need to be told at some point to address the poor academic performance and to address why you were expelled from school. Rather than trying to assume what you need to do to be competitive for PA school, you should request to meet with an admissions representative to see what your chances are of being considered for a seat. The fact that you were expelled from school may be a red flag for some programs and you'll need to make sure you're not wasting your time applying to a program if that is the case. Hope this helps!

I am currently enrolled in a CNA training program. Should I stop all advancements towards prepping for PA school until I speak to an admissions counsellor?

@mrtumus Thank you for your post and I'm sorry to hear of your experiences in the past. It is my hope that you are in a more stable place mentally and fingers crossed an incident like this will never happen again. I'm hoping you've also taken from this experience how to deal with any type of issues should they arise in the future because PA school and stress go hand and hand. Stress management is imperative once a part of any program. I do think an abbreviated and very fact-stated version of your past will need to be told at some point to address the poor academic performance and to address why you were expelled from school. Rather than trying to assume what you need to do to be competitive for PA school, you should request to meet with an admissions representative to see what your chances are of being considered for a seat. The fact that you were expelled from school may be a red flag for some programs and you'll need to make sure you're not wasting your time applying to a program if that is the case. Hope this helps!

@straines Thank you for your question and my apologies for the delay.  If you qualify for an interview they will contact you. It is acceptable in my opinion to send an email inquiring about your status, but don't over do it. You don't want to be perceived as nagging them. Also, pay close attention to deadlines. If the deadline for applications has passed and the start date is approaching soon it may be safe to assume they've filled their class. I'm not sure if every program contacts all applicants when their considerations close like we do. However, our program for example utilizes a late deadline and an August start date so we won't fill our class until next semester and we keep considerations open until May 1 of each year. Hope this helps.

I have applied to multiple schools and have heard back from some, but there are schools that I have yet to hear back from. I submitted my application and was verified the beginning of June. All the schools that I haven't heard back from has a rolling admissions process and have began the interview process.  My question is... Is it a fair assumption that I have been denied from these programs? Or do they look at my application when deciding on each interview session? I guess I am still confused on the rolling admissions process. I have the understanding that your application is reviewed when it is received, and if you qualify for an interview than they will contact you. And if you do not qualify they will also contact you. Any advice to help my understanding would be greatly appreciated! Thank you! 

@empowred Thank you for your question and my apologies for the delay. I would not make a decision based on one opinion of a provider who says you're too old. Our program, for example, has 3 foreign medical graduates in our program who most would consider non-traditional students...meaning they are older than the typical 20-something year old student. We and other programs do not factor in age as much as you think we do. It's all about how the applicant demonstrates their academic potential (which you have done) and through the interview process, how you demonstrate your willingness to be flexible, teachable, and willing to work with others. These type of interpersonal skills are something we look for in every applicant, regardless of age. So in short, I would encourage you to apply and not let one opinion reroute you from your goal. I hope this helps!

Dear PA admissions,

Thank you for taking time and replying to our questions. The question I have for you is how does your age while applying to PA schools affect your application. I am 42 yrs old IMG ( International Medical Graduate). I have worked as an MA, EKG technician for more than 4 yrs to gain US clinical experience. I have more than 3000 hrs of HCE and very good PS and recommendations which reflect my passion for PA profession. I got good feed back from the program admitting counselor and she sounded very encouraging with my background and HCE . I also did all the prerequisites the school wanted and got a A in most of them. My overall science GPA is 4.0 and cumulative is 3.64.

Recently I went to my primary care physicians office for a routine exam and shared my passion to become a PA and completely got discouraged by her saying I am too old to get in to the school and that even if I get into a school and graduate as a PA it will be hard for me a get a job because I have to compete with younger PA's and will be left jobless. I argued with her that even though I am not very young I do have all this experience and I have lot to offer.

My question to you how would my age work against me if I have the experience , the passion and the maturity and stamina to succeed in PA school. Are younger PA's preferred more after the school. My personal opinion is that as long as you have the experience stamina and the maturity, and as you again wisdom through life experiences, age should be working for you not against you. I also had this feeling that the family practitioner was also little threatened, as though her patients will decrease if the PA population will increase. She was not very supportive of PA profession. Are family practitioners in general threatened by PA's just wanted to hear your perspective about this .

Felt little strange that instead of being supportive, some one would discourage you follow your dream or passion. She is encouraging me to go into other technician jobs. That's a big red flag for me. I am changing her any way as I have been there only couple of times, but just wanted to have a honest opinion form you about my age and PA school. Thank you.

• Upvote 1

@cop to pa Thanks for your question and sorry for the delay. I tell applicants all the time it's difficult to raise an overall GPA so don't get too discouraged especially since your most recent work is solid. Since you're currently enrolled as a full-time student and still have work in-progress you're enhancing your chances should you continue that upward trend. When you're deciding which programs to apply to, make sure you're not wasting your time applying to programs that have a hard cut off of a 3.0 overall GPA. I say that because some School of Graduate Studies may require that all graduate students have a 3.0 to even make it past the first cut, and although you may have a strong performance in the sciences and prerequisites it still may disqualify you from applying to a few programs. Typically, you can tell which schools these are by the verbiage in their literature: "required" vs. "recommended" GPAs is usually the way to tell. Hope this helps!

Dear PA Admissions:

I wanted to run my stats by you and check on my competitiveness. I'm a bit worried about my GPA.

GPA:

Got my Associates in 1996. Got a 2.27 GPA with 62 credits

Graduated from Police Academy in 2008 with 46 credits and a 3.67 GPA

Currently a full time undergrad with a current GPA of 3.42 after 23 credits.

I calculated my CASPA GPA using their formulas. I have over 130 credits and my current overall GPA is a 2.97

I also have ACE credits through the Navy, but no grade is associated with those.

GRE is 316 with V of 165 (95%) and Q of 151 (44%) and a 4.0 (56%).

HCE from 8 years as a Navy Hospital Corpsman, 4 years Air Force medical tech reservist and 3 years as a CNA in the ED at John Hopkins comes to a little over 22,000 hours.  No shadowing yet, but I'm in the process of scheduling and coordinating with three PAs.

When I did the CASPA GPA my wife freaked out and is making me a bit nervous now. I feel like a competitive candidate, especially as I'll have this semester and next in the books when I apply to CASPA.  But, I'd love your take.  Thank you.

@mrtumus I wouldn't necessarily stop the CNA program if you want to work in the medical field in some capacity..that would be regardless of whether or not you are a candidate for PA school. If you're only doing it to get hours for PA school I hate to say quit the program until you speak with someone, but you'll probably want to speak with someone sooner, rather than later. Hope this helps.

Hello PA Admissions,

I was wondering what the admissions committees think if an applicant applies one year, skips the next year's cycle (due to a family move, job change, and not enough time to build new relationships for LORs), and then applies the year after that. Would the gap in application cycles look bad? I would also plan on taking an EMT course or something else to build my resume in that time.

Thanks so much!

Hello PA Admissions Director. I was wondering if you could evaluate the competitveness of my application.

Double Major from Rutgers University in Biological Sciences and Exercise Science.

My GPA from biological Sciences is attrocious (~2.2) because I transferred out of a Pharm D. program. When I went back to school again for exercise science, my GPA for the 3 semesters were not less than 3.4 but it still wasn't enough to boost my GPA significantly due to having too many credits from the pharmacy program and the biological science degree. I have also done a postbacc in order to boost my gpa and retake my pre-reqs which are 10 years old.

Postbacc GPA while retaking my pre-reqs: 3.64

Gen Bio 1 & 2: A

Gen Chem 1 & 2 : A

A & P: A

Biochem: A

Microbio: A

Statistics: B+

EKG: A

GRE SCORES

Quantitative: 153

Verbal: 155

Analytical: 4.5

I also have clinical health care experience in multiple areas.

critical care technician (emergency department) - 450+ hours (current)

clinical care technician (neuroscience) - 2300 hours

physical therapy aid - 300+ hours

Rutgers human anatomy cadaver lab instructor - taught 3 labs per semester for 2 years

PA shadowing, dept. of neurosurgery - 271 hours

Based on my improved academics and clinical experience. What do you think my chances are of getting into a program? Thank you for your time.

Forensikchic,

Just was wondering how your interview went on Saturday?? Thanks

Hey!  I think it went well.  It was my first interview and it was MMI style.  I wrote about it on the interview tips thread.  I was just giving my advice on some things I saw but what do I know! lol.  I think I did as well as I could on all of the mini interviews.  I cried during one which I dont know how that happened.  I was prepared to give my answer and then as soon as I opened my mouth, the emotions of this very long journey came bursting out.  I had to get it together and quick and I did.  I was able to pull myself together in about 30 seconds and push on.  I tried to sell myself as the question asked me to do "so to speak".  I really hope the emotion did not derail me from having a spot.  The rest of the stations I think I did very well on.  There was only one really difficult one that made my stress level really go up but I knew everyone would have this happen so I think I did as well as anyone could under the circumstances.  That being said, I have to wait now, forever to see if I get a seat.  Its killing me!  They told us that we may not find out until after the last round of interviews which is in January!  How will I last that long? 

Hello PA admissions,

I am currently a 24 year old graduate with a 3.3 cGPA and 3.2 sGPA.

I have not yet taken the GRE and my other health care experience is 2000+ hours of recovering ocular tissue from donors (whole globes and corneas). What would you recommend me do to improve my chances for applying?

My volunteering experiences are

-approximately 120 hours in the hospital

-30 hours of community service

Extracurricular

-multiple leadership roles in various organizations including member of student conduct board at my college

My grades were mostly B's with some A's and the only courses that I received C's in are anatomy, chemistry 2 and statistics (All of which I plan on retaking)

Dear PA admissions,

I recently had an MMI interview.  At one station I was asked something to the effect of "why should we pick you".  I was prepared to answer it- had thought about my qualities and what makes me different than the rest and when the buzzer sounded, I entered the room to defend my position.  After shaking hands and introductions, I began to answer the question.  When I opened my mouth, I realized I was crying.  I could not speak clearly.  The tears were flowing.  She handed me a tissue.  It came out of nowhere!  I stood there saying "I dont know where this came from. Its just been such a long hard road to get here" and took a few seconds to compose myself and I pressed on.  I refocused on the task at hand and tried to keep the emotions in check while telling my story and trying to be sure I mentioned all my attributes that I felt  might set me apart from others.  She smiled mostly but i could not read her.  My question for you is, do you think that emotion will keep me from getting a seat?  I was not just blubbering but it was quite emotional for a minute or two, until I could speak clearly again.  I think I did well on the other stations, finishing them early and getting to ask questions myself.  I feel good overall about how it went but this station and this unexpected emotion took me aback.  (I did notice she had tissues though, so maybe others have the same reaction on this question). Also, it was right after a very stressful station where you had a problem to solve in a time limit and a persons safety was at risk!  I guess it was too much for me.  Any feedback would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Dear PA Admissions:

Thank you ahead of time for taking the time to answer my question, I really appreciate it.

I was fortunate enough to get interviews from multiple schools, even though my overall GPA is on the lower end of the spectrum.  The rest of my application must have been strong enough to offset my GPA and grant me an invitation to interview.  I have already interviewed at one school and received a rejection.  I have reflected what I may have done/or not done at the interview to improve for my next interview but my weaker GPA lingers on my mind.

My question is: at this stage of the process, where you have been granted an interview, how much does your GPA come in to play?  I've heard many individuals say that the interview is all about your personality and communication skills.  Your application and stats get you the interview, the acceptance call is dependent primarily on how well you interview.  Is this an accurate statement in your opinion, or does your GPA still heavily influence the admissions committee at this point?

Thank you.

Dear director,

When a school on rolling admissions seems to be taking extra time after an interview to make a decision, would it increase my odds of acceptance to have a PA or MD send the committee an additional letter of support before a decision is reached, or would this be viewed as overkill/excessive/aggressive? (Assume the letter would be a positive one.). I've already sent them a resume update after receiving a relevant job promotion. Any thoughts are welcome. Thank you!!

@roosh17 Thank you for your question and my apologies for the delay. I don't see anything wrong with an applicant skipping a year. If there were improvements that needed to be made and were suggested by programs during the off cycle, make sure those improvements have been made just to show that you're not submitting the same application and hoping for the same results. If there were no suggestions to improve your application and you've done things to further enhance your application then you should be ok. Hope this helps!

Hello PA Admissions,

I was wondering what the admissions committees think if an applicant applies one year, skips the next year's cycle (due to a family move, job change, and not enough time to build new relationships for LORs), and then applies the year after that. Would the gap in application cycles look bad? I would also plan on taking an EMT course or something else to build my resume in that time.

Thanks so much!

@hao1031 Thank you for your question and sorry for the delay. To give you a fair evaluation I would want to look over your transcripts to  make sure there is a consistent and upward academic trend in your performance after the pharmD program. Your post-bacc performance is strong and I'm assuming these were taken at a 4-year institution? If so,I think that enhances your performance. However, not all weight will be placed on these few classes. If you want to email me a scanned copy of your transcripts to jmish@methodist.edu I can give you a more fair evaluation. All other factors (GRE and HCE) look solid to me. Hope this helps!

Hello PA Admissions Director. I was wondering if you could evaluate the competitveness of my application.

Double Major from Rutgers University in Biological Sciences and Exercise Science.

My GPA from biological Sciences is attrocious (~2.2) because I transferred out of a Pharm D. program. When I went back to school again for exercise science, my GPA for the 3 semesters were not less than 3.4 but it still wasn't enough to boost my GPA significantly due to having too many credits from the pharmacy program and the biological science degree. I have also done a postbacc in order to boost my gpa and retake my pre-reqs which are 10 years old.

Postbacc GPA while retaking my pre-reqs: 3.64

Gen Bio 1 & 2: A

Gen Chem 1 & 2 : A

A & P: A

Biochem: A

Microbio: A

Statistics: B+

EKG: A

GRE SCORES

Quantitative: 153

Verbal: 155

Analytical: 4.5

I also have clinical health care experience in multiple areas.

critical care technician (emergency department) - 450+ hours (current)

clinical care technician (neuroscience) - 2300 hours

physical therapy aid - 300+ hours

Rutgers human anatomy cadaver lab instructor - taught 3 labs per semester for 2 years

PA shadowing, dept. of neurosurgery - 271 hours

Based on my improved academics and clinical experience. What do you think my chances are of getting into a program? Thank you for your time.