Virginia Shenandoah University PA applicants 2020-2021 cycle

Hi there! 
I'm a current second year student at Shenandoah in my last didactic semester. Good luck with your interviews!! This is obviously the first time they are being conducted virtually so I may not be able to give you specific insight into the interview process but I can try my best to answer any questions you may have!

Hi! I was wondering if students at the Leesburg campus have majority of their rotations in the NOVA area? Thanks so much!

15 hours ago, nsbiosands said:

Hi! I was wondering if students at the Leesburg campus have majority of their rotations in the NOVA area? Thanks so much!

I'm not completely sure if a majority of rotations are in the NOVA area for all Leesburg students but I do believe the faculty try to set up as many rotations as possible within a reasonable distance of our home campus!

On 9/25/2020 at 12:42 PM, purpleberry said:

Hi there! 

I'm a current second year student at Shenandoah in my last didactic semester. Good luck with your interviews!! This is obviously the first time they are being conducted virtually so I may not be able to give you specific insight into the interview process but I can try my best to answer any questions you may have!

I'm still trying to decide what I should do for campus preference. Both facilities look great. Do you have any advice? 

1 hour ago, Pa488 said:

I'm still trying to decide what I should do for campus preference. Both facilities look great. Do you have any advice? 

Yes both facilities are very nice but it really depends on your priorities and preferences. Many of the students who choose Leesburg tend to be from the NOVA area but I cannot speak for them all. Winchester is the main campus so the majority of students, activities and faculty members are based there. The learning experience is pretty much the same regardless of where the lecturer is located because the use of video teleconferencing allows the lecture to be broadcasted live in the opposite campus. Of course, both campuses have a cadaver lab and access to all necessary class resources. If you are worried about the cost of living, Winchester is significantly more affordable with a small town feel. If you'd prefer to be closer to city life and diverse food options, then Leesburg may be the better choice!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, purpleberry said:

Yes both facilities are very nice but it really depends on your priorities and preferences. Many of the students who choose Leesburg tend to be from the NOVA area but I cannot speak for them all. Winchester is the main campus so the majority of students, activities and faculty members are based there. The learning experience is pretty much the same regardless of where the lecturer is located because the use of video teleconferencing allows the lecture to be broadcasted live in the opposite campus. Of course, both campuses have a cadaver lab and access to all necessary class resources. If you are worried about the cost of living, Winchester is significantly more affordable with a small town feel. If you'd prefer to be closer to city life and diverse food options, then Leesburg may be the better choice!

Thanks so much! This is really helpful!! 😊

On 10/1/2020 at 4:04 PM, JulieFuturePA said:

I was invited to an interview as well! Does anyone know the format of the interviews? Looking forward to meeting you all via Zoom on 10/30! GOOD LUCK!!!

You’ll need to be available 8-5. There’s an hour intro, two personal interviews 20 mins each (and they have hard cutoff times so won’t go over) in the middle hours, and a student Q&A from 1-3ish. 

• Like 2

Just got accepted... well it was a couple of hours ago since I was listening to the voice message on my way home from work.

Submitted 7/28/20
Caspa received and forwarded for faculty review 7/29/20
Invitation to interview 9/3/20
Interview 9/25/20

Stats aren’t great and I’m a reapplicant from 2018 cycle. This is my 3rd cycle and the most I’ve ever applied to which was 13 schools. The last 2 cycles I applied to 4 - 7 schools. I’ve been waitlisted 8 times. So far I had 3 schools to interview with, but now I can cancel them since Shenandoah University was literally my number 1 choice, and I made sure they knew that.

Overall GPA 3.07
Bac GPA 2.89
BCP totals GPA 3.34
Post-Bac GPA 3.71
GRE 300
HCE hours over 6000

Health experience - 2014-2016 peace corps health volunteer, 2017 -2018 medical scribe and medical tech at an urgent care, 2018-2020 EMT basic to EMT paramedic for a 911 county EMS, currently a medical assistant at a dermatologist’s practice and volunteering as a paramedic for a rescue squad to keep up with my certification and I just love EMS.

All to say, never give up! I explored different careers after graduating in 2012 and found that the PA profession is what I truly want to pursue. I worked my butt off to get my GPA to a minimum requirement of 3.0. I took the GRE once and done. I’m not the best test taker and schools look at it, but it’s not a determining factor and that’s seems applicable to a lot of schools. Be genuine and show that you’re hard working. If you don’t have HCE, be sure to shine in other areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1