UTRGV 2020/2021 APPLICATION CYCLE

On 6/12/2020 at 10:00 PM, las257 said:

Does anyone know if they accept statistics from the psych department?

I think so, they accepted mine, but I would double check by asking them again if you haven't heard back yet. You might need to send in your syllabus. I got an email on 7/19 that said "Thank you for your interest in the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley Physician Assistant Program. We have completed the first review of your file.  You have met all of the prerequisite requirements."

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, AngeON said:

Has anyone heard anything new? Last year interview invites had been scheduled long before this. Anyone heard from the department or anything?

Nope. Last year I got my interview invitation via email on August 29th. So far crickets over here. Have you all taken the CASPER test/evaluation? I'm so confused regarding that. The University hasn't sent out any information. It's so frustrating. 

21 hours ago, Nina96 said:

Is the CASPER test required by UTRGV? I applied last year and didn't take it and I haven't seen anything about it on the admissions requirements page but I'm worried, what if I'm wrong? 😥

UTRGV said in the informational session they will be using the CASPER test as part of the interview/decision process. They told us to be patient because they are trying to get all the information up on the CASPER site and that they are behind a bit. The CASPER deadline will not be 9/1. They also mention they would update their website with CASPER details but again, they are behind.

I am also wondering about this! I just double checked the CASPER site and did not see UTRGV. I couldn't imagine them requiring only people selected for interviews to send their CASPER score in because some of them probably won't have it. Hopefully those of you who did not take the CASPER this year get some answers soon! 

• Upvote 1

On 8/29/2020 at 4:18 PM, whatsPAppin said:

I am also wondering about this! I just double checked the CASPER site and did not see UTRGV. I couldn't imagine them requiring only people selected for interviews to send their CASPER score in because some of them probably won't have it. Hopefully those of you who did not take the CASPER this year get some answers soon! 

Also wondering the same! And, how will we know if it’s been updated? Will they reach out to applicants and let us know?

Luckily I have taken CASPER because of another program but I feel bad for those who have not.

okay so like I was rejected last cycle  for Fall 2020 and so I logged into the UTRGV apply now to see if there is an update for this cycle like anything lol and I just felt so bad when I saw the rejection because I thought it was for this cylce! It had been saying Under review by program but I had already gotten my rejection letter and barely today it is when the status changed for that application 🙃 There still hope right for fall 2021 I hope haha. 

6 hours ago, JaimeR said:

Anyone heard anything yet

Crickets over here. 

It's very strange. Last year at this time, interviews were already taking place. I interviewed on 9/20 last year and got my invitation for an that August. I don't know if it's because Christopher Dennett is no longer with the program or what's going on but this makes me nervous. 

And I don't know what's going on with CASPER. Do we take it? Do we not take it? Is it still going to be part of the process? Ahhhh we need answers.

Edited by rrr2020
  • Upvote 1

On 8/28/2020 at 3:16 AM, AngeON said:

Has anyone heard anything new? Last year interview invites had been scheduled long before this. Anyone heard from the department or anything?

I haven't heard anything yet. I was getting texts from admissions about my application in July. I sent it in late July, and no word yet. I do have good stats, and I am thinking I have a good chance. I may have to wait longer since I didn't apply early, but from what I am hearing there hasn't been any interviews. 

On 9/1/2020 at 8:14 PM, pa9701 said:

Also wondering the same! And, how will we know if it’s been updated? Will they reach out to applicants and let us know?

Luckily I have taken CASPER because of another program but I feel bad for those who have not.

I did not get any notifications for the CASPER test. 

I took it, but I didn't see it as a requirement. If they ask for it I'll just send it.

18 hours ago, Obiwan said:

I haven't heard anything yet. I was getting texts from admissions about my application in July. I sent it in late July, and no word yet. I do have good stats, and I am thinking I have a good chance. I may have to wait longer since I didn't apply early, but from what I am hearing there hasn't been any interviews. 

Texts from the PA admissions office? That's so strange. 

So I reached out to customer service at CASPer and this is what they said. It seems we cannot take CASPer for that program unless they're listed. Makes this tricky for me since I'm ONLY applying to UTRGV.

"Hi there,

I've reviewed the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley PA admissions requirements website and did not see that the CASPer test is a requirement.

This selection is also not available for distribution. If you wish for more clarification, I recommend reaching out to the program themselves about this.

All the best,
Emily "

So has anyone reached out to UTRGV PA admissions to ask them directly if they want the CASPer exam? I don’t see why they would require it if it’s not mentioned on their website. 

Please let me know because all the comments are a little confusing. I plan to reach out myself and will keep you all posted.

12 minutes ago, pa9701 said:

So has anyone reached out to UTRGV PA admissions to ask them directly if they want the CASPer exam? I don’t see why they would require it if it’s not mentioned on their website. 

Please let me know because all the comments are a little confusing. I plan to reach out myself and will keep you all posted.

At their last information session on August 8 they said they would send out an email with info about the CASPer test. Doesn’t seem like anyone has heard anything yet. I haven’t. It seems late to be adding requirements especially if they are currently reviewing apps. I have a hunch they may just toss it out and add it next cycle. But let us know 🤗

• Like 1

1 hour ago, prePALana said:

At their last information session on August 8 they said they would send out an email with info about the CASPer test. Doesn’t seem like anyone has heard anything yet. I haven’t. It seems late to be adding requirements especially if they are currently reviewing apps. I have a hunch they may just toss it out and add it next cycle. But let us know 🤗

Thanks for replying!! I sent an email this evening so hopefully they’ll get back to me this week. I’m thinking they will add it next cycle because it’s way too late for big changes.... and the CASPer exam has very limited exam dates.
Luckily I took it already because of another program, but it would be a huge let down to those who haven’t this cycle! We shall see.

• Like 1

On 9/9/2020 at 1:45 PM, rrr2020 said:

Texts from the PA admissions office? That's so strange. 

I thought so too! I got text, phone call and emails from admissions, and it was the same person both times. I didn't even know they did that. They did not mention the CASPER test to me though.  Another school called me to go over my application with me, and invited me to an interview. So far, the others have been through emails. So it was a little odd.

Edited by Obiwan

On 8/28/2020 at 9:08 AM, rrr2020 said:

Nope. Last year I got my interview invitation via email on August 29th. So far crickets over here. Have you all taken the CASPER test/evaluation? I'm so confused regarding that. The University hasn't sent out any information. It's so frustrating. 

I emailed the school about Casper and they said to look at the pa admission requirements for what’s needed. There’s no mention of it needed there so it’s not required. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Obiwankenobi said:

I emailed the school about Casper and they said to look at the pa admission requirements for what’s needed. There’s no mention of it needed there so it’s not required. 

That’s exactly what I was thinking, this whole CASPer talk made no sense lol. Thanks for the update.

Edited by pa9701
  • Upvote 1