George Fox University

I'm applying! I am really excited about this program and its close to home, so could be pretty awesome. My only hesitation with this program came from the religious affiliation, but Cristina said that the curriculum is science based, so that made me much more confident! Overall it looks like a great program! 

On 5/15/2020 at 10:15 AM, PAOneDayAbby said:

I'm applying! I am really excited about this program and its close to home, so could be pretty awesome. My only hesitation with this program came from the religious affiliation, but Cristina said that the curriculum is science based, so that made me much more confident! Overall it looks like a great program! 

Do you know much about the Newberg area? It seems very small from what I can tell but I've never been up there

I'll be applying here! I went to the information session in October last year, the school does come from religious affiliation and I was told that all faculty are Christian. Newberg is a really small town and it is about an hour drive from Portland. I've lived in this area for most of my life so feel free to ask questions if you have any!

2 hours ago, Chiyoko said:

Regarding the concern about a first year program, I will say that Greg Davenport has successfully created two other PA programs and he really seems to know what he's doing. 

Well that's good information! At the information session did they mention if they had their clinical preceptors solidified? I think that would be my biggest concern. Otherwise the religious affiliation doesn't bother me as long as everything is science based. 

17 minutes ago, PA20KA said:

Well that's good information! At the information session did they mention if they had their clinical preceptors solidified? I think that would be my biggest concern. Otherwise the religious affiliation doesn't bother me as long as everything is science based. 

In October, they were still looking for more clinical preceptors. I know they had a few solidified at that time but I am sure they are still looking for more. Also, the new building wasn't set to be finished until December 2020 so I'm hoping that COVID didn't push the construction back. 

On 5/16/2020 at 9:32 AM, PA20KA said:

Do you know much about the Newberg area? It seems very small from what I can tell but I've never been up there

It is definitely small. I had a couple of friends who did their undergrad at GF and it was always fun to visit. They have little farmers markets and cute coffee shops and a beautiful campus. To be honest though, if I got into this program, I would likely choose to live in Tualatin or Sherwood. 

Edited by PAOneDayAbby
edit
  • Like 1

On 5/18/2020 at 5:43 PM, Chiyoko said:

In October, they were still looking for more clinical preceptors. I know they had a few solidified at that time but I am sure they are still looking for more. Also, the new building wasn't set to be finished until December 2020 so I'm hoping that COVID didn't push the construction back. 

That's really good to know! I haven't seen any changes to their interview schedule yet but my guess is they will move them to a Zoom style or push them back. 

I emailed Cristina at George Fox regarding the preceptors and the interviews and here is the information I received. 

"Clinical preceptors have been secured as required for our accreditation, but we will always be open to adding new community partners in domains and locations of interest to our students. Geographically these rotations will be in various parts of Oregon, Washington, Idaho, and Montana. 

You may have seen from our Admissions webpage that our first interview day is June 29th. Invitations will be sent out June 8th. All applicants will be notified of the status of their application (invited to interview, in consideration for the next interview day, not moving forward). George Fox is in Yamhill county which has been approved for Phase I and will most likely be in Phase II by the time of interviews. Safe practices will be in place to ensure the well being of our guests and staff. It will be an MMI (mini multi interview) format."
  • Like 3

On 5/15/2020 at 11:15 AM, PAOneDayAbby said:

I'm about to apply to this program. Do you know how large the incoming class for 2020-2021 is? I emailed the admission counselor and she never got back to me.

8 minutes ago, Ameer432 said:

I'm about to apply to this program. Do you know how large the incoming class for 2020-2021 is? I emailed the admission counselor and she never got back to me.

If you download the admissions handbook on their website, you can find the class sizes for each year. This first year will be 20 students. 

• 2 weeks later...