2020-2021 Wisconsin-Madison Application Cycle

In the meantime, how about we keep ourselves pre-occupied about where we are from and what our PCE is/was. I am from a small town in rural Minnesota, but I now live in Fargo, ND. I got my PCE through being a CNA in both a long term care setting, as well as a Critical/ Intensive Care Unit. I also work at an orthotics and prosthetics clinic as a certified fitter of orthotics!

• Upvote 2

I live in Heber, UT. It is a small town about 45 minutes from Salt Lake City, UT. 

I have 4 children. My oldest is a freshman in college and my youngest is in 2nd grade. 

For my PCE I work as a PCT in a rural hospital. It’s been great experience because I am able to float the entire hospital. I work mostly women and newborn, however it’s a small unit and when our census is low we are floated to different departments.  I have regularly worked Med/Surg, ICU, and ED along with some COVID assignments. I work nights and I love it. 

good luck everyone!  I thankfully am studying for a final today so I have that to focus on rather than hitting refresh a billion times. Ha ha. 

• Upvote 2

Goodmorning!! I live in a rural town here in Wisconsin, not to far from Madison. 
I work as a Respiratory Therapist at a busy hospital in Madison, I have been an RT for just about 10 years now prior to that I worked as a CNA in varies settings including surgery center, ER, long term care, podiatry! I have 22 years of medical experience behind me! I too have kids, 3! A senior in high school, freshmen in high and a 3 year old!

best of luck to everyone today 😊

• Like 2

Good morning!! I live in Henderson Kentucky ( about 6 hours away from Madison). I currently work two jobs, one for the state of Kentucky with the pandemic and then a surgical tech on weekend option nights. 

I have prior experience in cardiac, mental health, ER, labor and delivery, and ortho surgery. I also have hce from being a pharmacy tech. In the last 3 years I have acquired my associates of science, associates of applied sciences, and my bachelors. It’s been a tough road for sure!!! 

I have two children ages 6 and 3, and just bought an old farm house that is my dream home so now I’m hoping for that dream job. 

Good luck everyone!!  Hopefully today is the day we hear back! 

• Like 1

Hey everyone. I live in downtown Madison right now and work at a job in health insurance where they pay really well but I don’t feel fulfilled or happy with the work I’m doing. I love Madison and want to stay here so I’m pretty much all in with this program and if I don’t get in, I will just ask where I’m deficient, work on that, and keep applying. The downside to that will be any prerequisite that might “expire” and I’ll need to retake. I wasn’t planning on applying this year because I didn’t have the required PCE hours (I got my nursing assistant certification last August and was working part time PRN). Once I saw that they waived that requirement I had about a month to gather my letters and write the essays. I had a student advising meeting with Erin McCarthy Orr a couple years ago and she said the median age of the entering class was 27 and that gave me hope. I love seeing the backgrounds of the people who have shared so far and seeing that there are many people who are “non traditional” and didn’t take the path straight from undergrad! 

• Like 2

Have Faith!!! In previous years all notifications were sent out on the same day. I have received a rejection one year and wait listed the next all the same time people were getting invites for interviews!! 

They did have a 33% increase in applications this year so maybe it has been a harder year to pick!! 

keep the faith you guys!!!!

50 minutes ago, AleshiaRose said:

They did have a 33% increase in applications this year so maybe it has been a harder year to pick!! 

I was looking for that stat!! Spent some time googling to see if they had an increase in applications or decrease, how many do they receive on average, etc. didn’t find answers! Did Juli tell you that in an email? 

Can I ask how you can keep the faith and keep applying year after year? I’m worried about bothering my letter writers again next year, when I’m another year removed from when I actually worked closely with them. How do you manage to keep your prereq classes up to date?