2020-2021 Wisconsin-Madison Application Cycle

• 2 weeks later...
Good luck everyone! Is anyone else applying to the DE option? 

Really nervous to apply due to a lower GPA but Ive heard great things about this school looking at holistic approach for a well rounded applicant instead of just what is shown on paper. 

Good luck! I am apply to DE with a low GPA but lots of valuable experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/15/2020 at 10:16 PM, smontgomery6 said:

@wltaylor what is your GPA if you don't mind me asking?

My science is a 3.34 but my CASPA cGPA is lower.... I had a really rocky start when I first started college but tried to redeem myself. I was accepted into a MPH program and I think that I will be attending that until I hear back from UW and do their " step out" program until I complete my PA studies, therefore I can complete the MPH program afterwords. 

On 5/16/2020 at 9:52 PM, AmPA95 said:

Good luck! I am apply to DE with a low GPA but lots of valuable experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same! I have a lot of hours and all 5 LORs, its just that darn CASPA GPA. This is the only school I applied to this year because I wanted my application to be looked at from all aspects. 

Hi all! Can anyone give advice about what they wrote about for UW's "optional personal essay?" This is the only thing that I feel really stuck on, as it is very vague and can literally be about anything! They say don't replicate or replace any info from CASPA personal statement and want to know you outside goal to become a PA. so I am confused as to what they really want to know. Hobbies? Is this autobiographical? Any responses would be greatly appreciated! thank you

On 5/31/2020 at 12:25 AM, wltaylor said:

My science is a 3.34 but my CASPA cGPA is lower.... I had a really rocky start when I first started college but tried to redeem myself. I was accepted into a MPH program and I think that I will be attending that until I hear back from UW and do their " step out" program until I complete my PA studies, therefore I can complete the MPH program afterwords. 

They seem to be understanding of that! I think you’ll definitely be okay! There’s a couple other programs that I have found that are kinda similar to this one! If you have a well rounded application besides GPA, I think you’ll be fine! Just mention it briefly in your PS and what you did to correct it/learn from it!

19 hours ago, saras317 said:

Hi all! Can anyone give advice about what they wrote about for UW's "optional personal essay?" This is the only thing that I feel really stuck on, as it is very vague and can literally be about anything! They say don't replicate or replace any info from CASPA personal statement and want to know you outside goal to become a PA. so I am confused as to what they really want to know. Hobbies? Is this autobiographical? Any responses would be greatly appreciated! thank you

Hey! I talked about where I grew up (a small town) and how that’s going to impact what type of PA I want to be. I talked about what choices I made that lead to this career path, and talked about my jobs more in depth. Basically anything that you want them to know that you couldn’t fit on the PS! I’m in the military so I spent most of my secondary essay talking about those experiences.

1 hour ago, smontgomery6 said:

Hey! I talked about where I grew up (a small town) and how that’s going to impact what type of PA I want to be. I talked about what choices I made that lead to this career path, and talked about my jobs more in depth. Basically anything that you want them to know that you couldn’t fit on the PS! I’m in the military so I spent most of my secondary essay talking about those experiences.

thank you so much !! 🙂

On 6/1/2020 at 4:10 PM, smontgomery6 said:

They seem to be understanding of that! I think you’ll definitely be okay! There’s a couple other programs that I have found that are kinda similar to this one! If you have a well rounded application besides GPA, I think you’ll be fine! Just mention it briefly in your PS and what you did to correct it/learn from it!

I have heard they are very understanding of it! The only reason I didn't apply to UND was due to the preceptor issue. Due to Covid-19, I was not able to secure a preceptor to apply with me for the distance option. I really hope that being admitted to an MPH program shows that I am successful in completing graduate work and that I can handle the course load of PA school. Unfortunately, this is the only school that I applied to this year but I hope to hear back around December. Best of luck everyone! 

On 5/31/2020 at 9:04 PM, saras317 said:

Hi there! I wrote about a club that I was the president of on my campus and about running! So yes, hobbies, extracurricular activites, etc is what I took away from it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/4/2020 at 5:09 PM, AWtoPA said:

Anyone who applied to the DE option want to elaborate on why you did so? I live within driving distance and am from a MUA, but was just wondering how you guys have strong connections with your community?

I have connections in 2/3 hospitals where I live and live in a MUA and health care provider shortage area as well. I also have children and a house so I am not able to move up to campus as I live 5 hours away. 

On 6/16/2020 at 7:41 PM, wltaylor said:

Does anyone know if they start looking at applications after the august 1st deadline for review? And will we be able to see it on CASPA when it is under review? I see that it is verified, so I am just trying to get an idea of when to keep an eye out. 

Hi, I don't think status will change to "under Review" in CASPA application. CASPA does verification and submission only, You will get an email from Campus and most prolly around end of November or December , This program is my priority as well, am only applying to couple of programs.