PA Activism and The Huddle

It was hard to put that title together.... I had one of my posts deleted from the Huddle for being "an attack" after I was enraged than an old PA basically told everyone who was contacting legislators on their own to stop it and let the smart kids handle it. You'll know who because 95% of his posts start with "I have been a PA for 40 years". This is so you will know that he is the smartest guy in the room and you shouldn't dare to disagree. So here is the post for your consideration. Please feel free to share it in every forum on the planet and explain it was deleted from the Huddle:

I have been a PA for more than 30 years (and I'll make sure to update that with every post and list my many boards and committees etc each and every time) and I find it astounding that we (I'll use the term collectively for the sake of discussion) decry how apathetic we have been as a profession and then, when people get excited and start to participate, chastise them for not doing it right! 
So if I understand the concerns people should participate but only in ways approved by certain leaders?
What about people who don't want to be part of organizations they don't agree with?
What about people who don't agree with what the organizations are doing?
What about people whose organizations aren't doing anything or whose response is totally underwhelming?
Are you really suggesting they should just write checks and sit down and shut up? Or try to get the attention of people who are fully convinced they have it all figured out?
And the comment "if you don't like it run for office" was the most disrespectful condescending thing I think I have ever seen on this forum. What hubris!
 Anyone who has been a part of an organization for more than a minute knows most orgs are completely closed to anyone who isn't a like-thinker. Try and get elected to a position in an org whose style and ideas you totally disagree with. It doesn't happen.

I waited days to respond because that post made me so angry and I am still angry.

Perhaps there are different or better ways to do things. Maybe the same old way of slow, polite engagement has led us to be in crisis with the survival of the profession to be in doubt and people are tired of the old guard telling them what to do and how to do it. If the old way of doing things has gotten us to this spot...maybe the old guard needs to sit down and be quiet.

Perhaps when people step up and engage, leadership and organizations should embrace the energy and try to focus it rather than demeaning them and telling them they are wrong.

Perhaps everyone in this profession is entitled to be heard and communicate with legislators in whatever manner they choose. It is their life and their profession too. They require neither your permission or approval.

I am part of the old guard I suppose. I am engaged with leadership at many levels. I have had my share of legislative and committee work over the years. The difference is I am listening. I suppose I do shame people for not being involved. If I ever shame people for being involved I hope someone knocks some sense into me.

Edited by sas5814
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Administrator

That's not a personal attack.  Those of you who think *we* moderate things badly... 90% of what makes this site great would never be permitted on Huddle.  I'd encourage all those of you us are AAPA members to write AAPA leadership and express their displeasure.

Scott, I think it's time for PAFT to start pushing for regime change at the state level when appropriate. Probably at first by offering surveys and endorsements. While we need to be sensitive to local contexts, PAs who are FOR the things that make us less attractive than NPs in hiring decisions have no place in PA society leadership in any way.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 3

AAPA should honestly get rid of huddle

I lasted < one week and left after the 3rd post got deleted and the second warning from admin

They were hiding behind "we are a PAC and therefore different rules apply"

In reality it was "keep the status quo, don't rock the boat"

AAPA is doing great things right now so I have no idea why they are doing this

Dave Mittman - any ideas???  You still checking this board??  Seems like Huddle was an entity that never took off and should be shut down

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I would never go on the Huddle because it didn't provide anonimity and employers read social media posts - we all need a place to be honest and share with others who really can understand.  PLUS their espoused ideas of "just say nice things" and such. 

This forum lets us get to nitty gritty, vent, create, share and be a real group with ideas - that don't have to all be the same.

They shouldn't call it Huddle - they should call if Stepford PAs.

Go get em guys - 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Regime change needed indeed. Those guys need to go ASAP. 
In all fairness some of the leaders in AAPA as of late anyway (especially Mittman) I think have been very pro change. I have spoken with him personally and he is for title change and OTP and perhaps more. There are some mods on the huddle that have something stuck up their... Well I'll say craw... And have deleted valid posts form well intentioned posters. That to me is bullying and that has to stop. The mods there need to be moderated by someone....

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

I would never go on the Huddle because it didn't provide anonimity and employers read social media posts - we all need a place to be honest and share with others who really can understand.  PLUS their espoused ideas of "just say nice things" and such. 
This forum lets us get to nitty gritty, vent, create, share and be a real group with ideas - that don't have to all be the same.
They shouldn't call it Huddle - they should call if Stepford PAs.
Go get em guys - 

More like a gulag...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk