I have shadowed four PAs in varying fields of medicine but all for brief periods of time (about three days at the most). I enjoyed most of my experiences shadowing but I felt as if they were too busy to schedule more days to observe them. I feel as if shadowing a PA was repetitive. Aside from the medical information they were giving me about patients and such (which was way over my head sometimes but REALLY interesting), I was hearing over and over again about grades, the application process, and what a PA's responsibilities were.

My question is, should I continue trying to shadow? There aren't a lot of PAs in my area but maybe I'm doing this shadowing thing wrong if I'm finding it to be repetitive. My thoughts are that the purpose of shadowing is to learn what a PA does and I feel like I have become knowledgeable of what a day is like for a PA.

I have shadowed four PAs in varying fields of medicine but all for brief periods of time (about three days at the most). I enjoyed most of my experiences shadowing but I felt as if they were too busy to schedule more days to observe them. I feel as if shadowing a PA was repetitive. Aside from the medical information they were giving me about patients and such (which was way over my head sometimes but REALLY interesting), I was hearing over and over again about grades, the application process, and what a PA's responsibilities were.

My question is, should I continue trying to shadow? There aren't a lot of PAs in my area but maybe I'm doing this shadowing thing wrong if I'm finding it to be repetitive. My thoughts are that the purpose of shadowing is to learn what a PA does and I feel like I have become knowledgeable of what a day is like for a PA.

You seem to have reached your max as far as shadowing goes. Its beneficial for the newbie, but plateaus rather quickly. I suppose you have little HCE? I don't know of many schools that recommend getting a letter from somebody you shadowed. Most recommend somebody (a PA) you worked with/for. Instead of trying to continue shadowing, I'd suggest getting a job and gaining HCE (If you haven't already done that). Also try volunteering at different things in the community.

You seem to have reached your max as far as shadowing goes. Its beneficial for the newbie, but plateaus rather quickly. I suppose you have little HCE? I don't know of many schools that recommend getting a letter from somebody you shadowed. Most recommend somebody (a PA) you worked with/for. Instead of trying to continue shadowing, I'd suggest getting a job and gaining HCE (If you haven't already done that). Also try volunteering at different things in the community.

Extensive shadowing is great if one of the following scenarios applies to you:

1. You have ****ty healthcare experience and this is your only contact with medicine.

2. You need a LOR from a PA and haven't come up with a better way of getting one.

3. You have no idea what the profession is/what a PA does and need to learn your options.

Otherwise, a couple days of shadowing will do it for you IMO. Take Corpsman2PA's advice.

1. You have ****ty healthcare experience and this is your only contact with medicine.

2. You need a LOR from a PA and haven't come up with a better way of getting one.

3. You have no idea what the profession is/what a PA does and need to learn your options.

Otherwise, a couple days of shadowing will do it for you IMO. Take Corpsman2PA's advice.

Guest hubbardtim48

I never shadowed a PA rather worked with several in ED et ICU. I agree with greenmood, a few days from different PAs would be great. I shadowed an IR doc for 100 hours instead of a PA because I worked with PAs et I knew a lot about the profession, the IR doc was more for learning tricks/hints on x-rays, CTs, US, MRI, etc...learned a lot and valued that experience more than if I walked around with a PA (I have 4 years HCE as an RRT). That is my only reason behind my reason et I stated that to the adcom et it worked! :) Good luck!

Guest hubbardtim48

I never shadowed a PA rather worked with several in ED et ICU. I agree with greenmood, a few days from different PAs would be great. I shadowed an IR doc for 100 hours instead of a PA because I worked with PAs et I knew a lot about the profession, the IR doc was more for learning tricks/hints on x-rays, CTs, US, MRI, etc...learned a lot and valued that experience more than if I walked around with a PA (I have 4 years HCE as an RRT). That is my only reason behind my reason et I stated that to the adcom et it worked! :) Good luck!

Guest hubbardtim48

I agree with previous posts that the shadowing you are doing it a bit excessive. If you cannot get any of those PA's to get you shadow them for a few months, then just drop it. What sort of clinical experience do you have? That is more valuable than a coupe days of shadowing. I never shadowed. I work with docs and PA's. I don't know what shadowing can do for you that you cannot learn by reading the internet on your own.

Archived