Hi there, my name is Vanessa and I just graduated with my bachelor's in February. I am looking to pursue into a PA program but not quite sure where to start. I am currently studying for the GRE and have about 250 internship hours done at an ENT clinic with an audiologist. I'm not sure in what I am doing and need any guidance or suggestion in what to do. 

Your first step is to find 1-5 programs you're interested in and see what their pre-requisites are. Most will have overlapping requirements such as: 1 year gen bio, 1 year of A&P, 1 year of chemistry (+/-), a math course, and a social science. Familiarize yourself with CASPA/PAEA.

https://paeaonline.org/how-we-can-help/advisors 

Check out that link about what PAs are, what they do, and how to become one. You're going to need to be proactive in finding basic information about the field or you'll be lost quickly.

Good luck 🙂

Edited by Diggy

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Naecolex3
      Hi everyone!
      My name is Nicole Rodriguez and I am a recent graduate from Florida International University double major in Biology and Natural & Applied Sciences. I am currently working as a medical assistant working on my patient care hours and will be applying to PA schools the next cycle. I would like to have some guidance on my personal statement and would appreciate any advice! I may be reached out via email Nicole.rodriguez3860@icloud.com

Thank you for your time!
    • By ppastudent20
      Hello,
      I am a recent bachelors graduate with no experience in the medical field (I only have a BLS/CPR license) and have been searching for a medical assistant position. I am located in Boynton/Delray/Boca, Florida. Any tips only how to apply/search for these positions when I have non experience? What is the best way to contact these offices? 
      Thank you! 
    • By Rylie
      First, I would like to start off by introducing myself. 
      My name is Rylie Yager and I am a junior in my undergrad at Grand Valley State University. I am majoring in Behavioral Neuroscience, minoring in Psychology and Biology with a pre - PA emphasis. 
      Due to the competitiveness when it comes to admissions in to PA programs, I have been attempting to prepare to become the best possible applicant for when I apply to PA programs next summer (2022). It is stressful and beyond overwhelming - especially being that I am the first member of my family to be attending college, let alone grad school. I've had to figure out everything related to college on my own; from scheduling courses to managing everything that comes along with being a college student whom has to finically support themselves simultaneously. Thus far, I feel like I have been keeping up with the punches that this new journey has thrown my way. Now, I am on a new journey to become a PA - which is terrifying but also exciting. Being that I have been working along my education journey on my own, all I know is from research that I have done myself and contacting facility at my university. But I would like to receive more input and advise that could help me - and I am sure many others - on this journey of becoming a PA. Being how competitive it is to be admitted into a PA program, I am doing all that I can think of to become a worthy applicant - and would love advise from others who are on this journey and those who have surpassed it and are willing to give advise on how to get there. 
      I have listed some of the things that I have done/currently doing to help prepare me for my future in a PA program, and as a PA:
      Work Experience:
      Server in a nursing home
      Receptionist in a nursing home
      Medical technician in a nursing home
      Behavioral neuro technician in an inpatient facility
      Mental health technician in a psychiatrics hospital (current)

Education:
      Overall GPA: 3.678
      Coursework:
      Fall 2021
      BIO 328 SWS Biomedical Ethics
      BIO 376 Genetics Laboratory
      CHM 232 Biological Chemistry
      CHM 232 Biological Chemistry Discussion
      CHM 232 Biological Chemistry Lab
      PSY 300S WS Research Methods in Psych
      367 Health Psychology
      Winter 2022
      AHS 100 Medical Terminology
      BMS 212 Introductory Microbiology (RETAKE)
      213 Laboratory in Microbiology (RETAKE)
      PHY 200 Physics for the Life Sciences
      PSY 400 Advanced Research in Psychology

Previous/Completed
      BIO 121 General Biology II with lab
      BIO 355 Human Genetics
      CHM 231 Introductory Organic Chemistry with lab
      PSY 303 Psychopathology 
      PSY 311 SWS Controversial Issues Psych
      PSY 330 Foundations of Behav Neuroscience
      BMS 212 Introductory Microbiology
      BMS 213 Laboratory in Microbiology
      BMS 251 Anatomy and Physiology II with lab
      PSY 324Developmental Psychopathology
      WRT 219 Creative Writing Workshop 
      CHM 230 Intro to Organic and Biochem with lab
      FIT 125 Performance Weight Training
      HST 102 European Civilizations
      PSY 364 Life Span Developmental Psych
      WRT 150Strategies in Writing
      BMS 250Anatomy and Physiology I with lab
      CHM 109 Introductory Chemistry with lab
      PHI 202 Ethics of Health
      SOC 105 Social Problems
      PSY 101 Introduction to Psychology
      BIO 121 General Biology II

Academic achievements: 
      Deans list
      Writing portfolio utilized by writing department for grading scale

Volunteering:
      Crisis Hotline
      Community Food Bank Grand Rapids 

• By WomenOfSTEM
      I am a member of AAPA and maybe I am unfamiliar with the website, but I want to make the most learning from the site and using it.
      How do PA-S or PA-C use it? As a Pre-PA how can I use the site and its resources to help?
      I appreciate it!
    • By VirginiaTech117
      Hey guys my name is Geena and I'm a PA at a primary care in Philadelphia. We are currently hiring scribes and medical assistants (no experience required- we will train). This is a great opportunity for pre-PA's who need experience hours! Message me for details 🙂

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More