SP Selling FM Practice/ Seeking Salary Advice

My SP is retiring and selling his FM practice. I am looking for advice on salary negotiation with the new supervising physician.

The new SP has big aspirations for the practice and plans to add many updates which is exciting but it appears that it will also come with quite the workload increase.

I suspect that we will be marketing the practice more which means more patients. (I currently average 15 per day)

He wants me to credential at the local hospital and round on our patients in the morning if they were admitted to the hospital in the morning prior to seeing patients at clinic.

He also wants me to begin taking call (one weekend a month) at the local hospital.

We may also round at the local Nursing Homes one day a week

Current Base: 90k. No Production bonuses

With the added workload that will be expected, any advice on if I should ask for a raise vs productivity bonus? 

If you were previously making $90k/year by working only at the clinic, then there should be a salary increase will all theses added obligations. What is your current hourly rate? How many hours do you work a week? Is it only at the clinic? If you're making $50/hour, and all these extra obligations take 10 hours/week, that would be an extra $500/week. If it's overtime, it should be an extra $750/week. Think of it has picking up extra shifts-- you wouldn't do it unless it was paid. I would only accept these extra obligations if he pays you what you deserve. If he does not want to compensate you fairly, I suggest you start looking for a new job

Edited by Potatolife
  • Like 1

How long have you been at the practice? How many will you round on in a average day? Is hospital call from home? Will procedures be involved? Are you expected to come in for emergencies or procedures?

If you don’t need training in hospital medicine, I would say 130k. If you need training 120k. This is all dependent on the actual work load. If the load is heavy with round on 5-10 patients before clinic, coming to do procedures over lunch, expected to come in for emergencies or check on patients while on call, then I may ask for 140k.