Hey EVERYONE who supports Physician ASSOCIATE, I HAVE THE FIRST PICTURE OF YOUR NEW LAB JACKETS!

14 minutes ago, Hope2PA said:

The AAPA  understood there was a problem but didn't want to go through effort to really make it better until recently. Even now, it appears they, the PA leadership and many PA's, still think making a little change will be better than nothing. Making a significant change is just effort they don't want to deal with. Again I am comparing, but how often do you think nursing leaders set around and decide it is not worth the extra effort to progress NPs in every way possible. They are in the current position because nurse leaders think of their profession first and foremost. PA's need to think and act the same way. 

14 minutes ago, Hope2PA said:

The AAPA  understood there was a problem but didn't want to go through effort to really make it better until recently. Even now, it appears they, the PA leadership and many PA's, still think making a little change will be better than nothing. Making a significant change is just effort they don't want to deal with. Again I am comparing, but how often do you think nursing leaders set around and decide it is not worth the extra effort to progress NPs in every way possible. They are in the current position because nurse leaders think of their profession first and foremost. PA's need to think and act the same way. 

EXACTOMUNDO! Working to actually enhance our professional practice not doing fluff!

On 12/11/2019 at 8:46 PM, Hope2PA said:

Associate; noun; 1. a partner or colleague in a business (nope) 2. A  person with limited or subordinate membership(yep). 

Physician Associate; medical provider with LIMITED and SUBORDINATE membership in the healthcare world. Never would Nursing leaders allow their members to have such a title, but so many PA’s want it because it is comfortable and easy. 

associate

verb

To save this word, you'll need to log in.

as·so·ci·ate | \ ə-ˈsō-shē-ˌāt  , -sē- \
associated; associating

Definition of associate

(Entry 1 of 3)

transitive verb

1: to join as a partner, friend, or companionThey were closely associated with each other during the war.
2: to join or connect together : COMBINEparticles of gold associated with heavy minerals
3: to bring together or into relationship in any of various intangible ways (as in memory or imagination)She will always associate that place with her youth.

Transitive verbs are action verbs that have a direct object.

Action verbs describe physical or mental actions that people or objects do (write, dance, jump, think, feel, play, eat).

28 minutes ago, camoman1234 said:

associate

verb

associated; associating

Definition of associate

(Entry 1 of 3)

transitive verb

1: to join as a partner, friend, or companionThey were closely associated with each other during the war.
2: to join or connect together : COMBINEparticles of gold associated with heavy minerals
3: to bring together or into relationship in any of various intangible ways (as in memory or imagination)She will always associate that place with her youth.

Action verbs describe physical or mental actions that people or objects do (write, dance, jump, think, feel, play, eat).

You forgot to include adjective definition; having rank or position below the highest level. I imagine the push for Associate is because you are below the level of physician. Not going to be the transitive verb def of partner, friend, companion wouldn’t want to be considered intangible, and the combination doesn't really fly. Associate, whether verb, adjective or noun maintains suggestion of subordinate that can’t perform without the person with higher rank. All the while, there are tons of PA’s who provide Medical Care for patients with nothing more than the “required” sign off from SP that only cares because of extra $$ they may get. Some would or just as soon make PA go away all together because they don’t want you as competitors like NP’s are becoming, and don’t want responsibility of paperwork, unless significantly more money in their pocket.  That title will eternally limit progression beyond what physicians decide you should have. But yay, still get to keep PA, and who knows, 15 years from now, may be Nurse physicians that you can “associate” with or assist as being their lesser ranking employee. Kind of like how podiatrist became podiatry physician and can now supervise PA’s. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Hope2PA said:

But yay, still get to keep PA, and who knows, 15 years from now, may be Nurse physicians that you can “associate” with or assist as being their lesser ranking employee. Kind of like how podiatrist became podiatry physician and can now supervise PA’s. 

No, 15 years from now, Nurse practitioner will become "Medical Care Practitioner." I can totally see that progression with the NPs and we will still be someone's associates or even their associates. 

3 hours ago, camoman1234 said:

associate

verb

associated; associating

Definition of associate

(Entry 1 of 3)

transitive verb

I understand the PA profession values team practice, collaboration and association with the physicians (and all other healthcare professionals) but that doesn't means we need to have the word "associate" in our title. 

In a law-firm, an associate attorney is a entry/junior level lawyer. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Associate_attorney

We are not junior level doctors/physicians. in fact, we are not even physicians. The problem is not only with "assistant/associate" but also with the word "Physician."

The whole point of a name change is to let people know we practice medicine. Physician Associate is confusing to the general public.  We can still be committed to team practice with the title Medical Care Practitioner. We don't need to emphasize team practice (association) in our title. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, RadAssPA said:

Medical Practitioner. We don't need Care in the title. It's too long and redundant. Medical Practitioner!! Say it a hundred times to yourself today.

I think Care is in there so we can legally protect the title. I am just going say Medical Practitioner for ease of communication and I don't think there will be any issue. 

Doctor of Osteopathic introduce themselves as Doctors not Doctor of Osteopathic. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, PACali said:

I think Care is in there so we can legally protect the title. I am just going say Medical Practitioner for ease of communication and I don't think there will be any issue. 

Doctor of Osteopathic introduce themselves as Doctors not Doctor of Osteopathic. 

Exactly.  I am thrilled with Medical Care Practitioner!  I would shorten it, but otherwise it is 1000000x better than being an "Associate"...

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Cideous said:

Exactly.  I am thrilled with Medical Care Practitioner!  I would shorten it, but otherwise it is 1000000x better than being an "Associate"...

Unfortunately, most of the PA, specially newer ones will choose Physician Associate as their initial pick because it is the easiest and most obvious. With those people, after spending just 15 minutes explaining they all agree MCP is a better name, at least in my experience.

I really believe the NP might change their name to Medical Care Practitioner if we don't use it. It is powerful name for public relations. Have a good PR is the whole point for a name change. years ago We got rid off the apostrophe "S" and it didn't do much to our image. Let's not make the same mistake. Let's do it right. Let have a clear, concise name. A name within millisecond people know what we do. Stop misrepresenting ourselves as physician's associate because we are not. In California, under the newly passed SB697, PAs are no longer mandated by law to act as an agent or extension of the supervising physician. 

Medical Care Practitioner was the original name prior to the PA profession development in UK https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16813540

Edited by PACali