Renegotiating

Cutting my hours from full time to part time and thus losing my heath insurance. Boss thinks giving me an $1/hr raise is acceptable (the first raise I’ve had in 2 years). I feel that with saving 12-14k a year by not paying for that, I should see a little more in my pocket. Also, my 401k contribution from my employer will be decreasing so he is also saving money there. Thoughts?

I have always looked at negotiations as total compensation (including benefits).  If I go from working 100% full time to 70% full time, then my compensation decreases by 70%.

But, the caveat in my opinion would be productivity.  For example, I currently work 36 hours of clinic.  If I were to drop to 28 hours (approximately 78% full time) but I can continue to hit revenue goals, why should my income drop?  So, the total compensation should also include productivity bonus if it exists.

On 9/26/2019 at 6:19 AM, WorkingPA10 said:

Cutting my hours from full time to part time and thus losing my heath insurance. Boss thinks giving me an $1/hr raise is acceptable (the first raise I’ve had in 2 years). I feel that with saving 12-14k a year by not paying for that, I should see a little more in my pocket. Also, my 401k contribution from my employer will be decreasing so he is also saving money there. Thoughts?

You are essentially a 1099 free agent now, if not for the 401k contribution, which at this point I wouldn’t even call a benefit. It’s better than nothing, but not something that keeps you around. With the new reality in place, that employer now becomes subject to your convenience as far as what priority that their schedule and workload demands have upon you. They brought this upon themselves, and now you can let them know that you need to have your schedule needs accommodated. I don’t expect them to take that lying down, and they will protest. Its now up to you how much you push back. I don’t think it’s too much for your employer to expect a bigger contribution from you if you want health insurance as a part timer, but to cut it altogether (if it’s something you really want from them), means that essentially you are becoming non benefitted. What’s keeping you around in the face of that, if you don’t mind saying. 

4 hours ago, Lightspeed said:

You are essentially a 1099 free agent now,

This statement shows an ignorance of 1099 vs W-2 employment.  

In a perfect world MGriffiths and SAS's points would be well-taken.  But unfortunately adminiscritters and nursing managers now run healthcare, so MediMike is more on point with reality.

Edited by Boatswain2PA
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Boatswain2PA said:

In a perfect world MGriffiths and SAS's points would be well-taken.  But unfortunately adminiscritters and nursing managers now run healthcare, so MediMike is more on point with reality.

You are right... he/she didn’t magically have to cough up social security taxes due to the new arrangement. It’s almost worse than that because as a 1099 they would likely have more freedom. So now instead of just a crap sandwich plain, they get to have ketchup on it. Essentially, the employer is fine with the burdens on the employer in this case since they likely know that if they designated the OP as 1099, they would likely be under onus to pay more. I can’t figure out what the OP gets out of a situation where they need to go without health insurance benefits while not getting paid significantly more for their trouble. My suggestion was that since the OP is being treated like a 1099 employee that isn’t getting paid like a 1099 employee, the OP should act as free as a 1099 employee and behave as if this is a second or third job, rather than act as if it’s a priority. Maybe you have a better take on how this goes since you have a good grasp of the tax implications involved. Why would this go down as it is going down?

Edited by Lightspeed
Removed needlessly inflammatory language.

On 9/29/2019 at 1:32 PM, Lightspeed said:

You are essentially a 1099 free agent now, if not for the 401k contribution, which at this point I wouldn’t even call a benefit. It’s better than nothing, but not something that keeps you around. With the new reality in place, that employer now becomes subject to your convenience as far as what priority that their schedule and workload demands have upon you. They brought this upon themselves, and now you can let them know that you need to have your schedule needs accommodated. I don’t expect them to take that lying down, and they will protest. Its now up to you how much you push back. I don’t think it’s too much for your employer to expect a bigger contribution from you if you want health insurance as a part timer, but to cut it altogether (if it’s something you really want from them), means that essentially you are becoming non benefitted. What’s keeping you around in the face of that, if you don’t mind saying. 

I’ve been feeling abused at my job lately. After months of wanting either my patients capped or to be eligible for a bonus and being told “no”, I’ve decided to cut my hours to be home with my kids more and away from the toxic environment that is my job. I’ve been told that at 24 hours per week, benefits are not an option. It’s fine, I can get on my husband’s insurance. But I want to make sure I’m not settling for less than I deserve. I’ve been looking for a new job for months. I haven’t found anything yet that has better hours than my current position. And it’s 5 min from my house. 

1 hour ago, WorkingPA10 said:

I’ve been feeling abused at my job lately. After months of wanting either my patients capped or to be eligible for a bonus and being told “no”, I’ve decided to cut my hours to be home with my kids more and away from the toxic environment that is my job. I’ve been told that at 24 hours per week, benefits are not an option. It’s fine, I can get on my husband’s insurance. But I want to make sure I’m not settling for less than I deserve. I’ve been looking for a new job for months. I haven’t found anything yet that has better hours than my current position. And it’s 5 min from my house. 

I'm with you on the fact that they are saving plenty of money not paying for your healthcare, and you should see a little of that back... surely more than the roughly $1200 dollars per year they are throwing your way. I don't know what kind of organization you work for, or where the other $12,800 that they are saving is going, but its being tucked away. Did they have to hire someone to fill in the hours that you aren't working anymore?

On 9/29/2019 at 5:01 PM, Boatswain2PA said:

You are correct. Sadly we are, more and more, in a take it or leave it job where bean counters do whatever they like and tell you to hit the road if you don't like it.

The question was about the $1/hr raise. I was just trying to give some scale.