Physician Substitute

I say this halfway tongue in cheek...

The way I've been treated at jobs actually could have used the term "physician substitute" based on how they viewed PA/NPs -- clinicians to hire at less than half the cost of a physician with 80% of the reimbursement. No difference in patient severity between myself and the docs, but I was often seeing 24+ patients a day, while the doc was seeing 12. She refused to go from 40 minute to 20 minute visits, whereas I was hired on with that as the expectation.

Two years less schooling and no residency, but expected to have the breadth and depth of knowledge of a physician even as a new grad. Just someone to usher patients in and out like cattle, collect the cash, and repeat.

A cheaper "substitute."

Shame.

• Upvote 1

Haha I used to work in the plasma industry as a ops manager years ago. It was always weird to me that all the companies listed PAs for these jobs. The work was far below the scope of a PA. These jobs were almost always filled by LPNs and paramedics, and occasionally RNs in states where it was required. I think they never paid more than 20-25/hr at most, and usually in the 15-20/hr range.

I remember I searched the company by license type once when I was bored. At the time, there was exactly 1 APP employed out of 10,000+ employees and he worked as an NP in corporate headquarters doing admin work. Exactly 0 of these "physician substitute" roles were filled by PAs. You would have to be extremely desperate to take this job as a PA.