University of Detroit Mercy: 2019-2020 Application Cycle

Hi everyone!

I'll be applying this cycle to PA school. I wanted to create thisĀ post so we could discuss and answer any questions or concerns. Hopefully,Ā this post will allow us to create connections and help each other out.

LeaveĀ any comments hereĀ šŸ˜€

Edited by calipa93

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone! I am so excited to be applying this cycle! I am finishing up three classes currently and I am worried that I only have about four weeks to get my final gradesĀ and have caspa verify all of the information once I submit my application. Anyone else experiencing this anxiety about the January 15th deadline approaching so fast after this semesterā€™sĀ transcripts are ready? I just hope my application gets to UDM on time. Any words of advice or support appreciated!

16 hours ago, billstay22 said:

Does anyone happen to know a general time frame on when they usually send out interview invitations? Their cycle is so much later than the rest of myĀ applicationsĀ so Iā€™m not sure what to expect! Thanks!

I believe they start to call people for interview invitations in February and go throughout March

On 11/13/2019 at 10:17 AM, paperson170 said:

Iā€™m pretty sure they accept 55 incoming students each year! 15 come from the 5 year track šŸ™‚ So it totals to 70 but thereā€™s a 2 and 3 year track

As of this cycle there are more than 15 coming in from 5 year, I believe the exact number is 19 for this upcoming August. They upped the total number of spots in 5 year to 25 in 2017.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
It is not! They will not be reviewing applications until the deadline on January 15th [emoji3526] Did anyone else get an email confirming that all of their materials are in and awaiting review?

I did! Did anyone get an email confirming that they met all the requirements? I havenā€™t gotten that yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Potatolife said:

Hey everyone, I am a PA studentĀ at UDM.Ā I'mĀ in the first year of the 3-year track. Feel free to ask me any questions šŸ™‚

How are you feeling in the three year track? Have you compared how youā€™re feeling to those in the two year track as far as work load goes? Ā Totally unrelated question..... do you have any advice on how to prepare for UDMā€™s interview process? Ā Is it 3/1 or speed dating style or scenarios? Ā Any information is greatly appreciated. Thank you for looking back to help us coming behind you!Ā 

2 hours ago, Eshafer said:

Any insight on their interview process and what to expect would be greatly appreciated! šŸ˜Š

I can'tĀ give detailed information on the interview. I can tell you that it is pretty relaxed! My interview was aĀ panel interview that lastedĀ about 30 minutes. I feltĀ comfortable, and I also got to speak with some PA students before my interview. Make sure you're able to answer the basic PA school interview questions like why PA, why this school, etc. Make sure to also look up the program's mission statement šŸ™‚Ā  don't try to memorize your exact answers because the faculty can tell and it won't sound genuine. Just have a good idea about how you will answer each question

1 hour ago, E0119 said:

How are you feeling in the three year track? Have you compared how youā€™re feeling to those in the two year track as far as work load goes? Ā Totally unrelated question..... do you have any advice on how to prepare for UDMā€™s interview process? Ā Is it 3/1 or speed dating style or scenarios? Ā Any information is greatly appreciated. Thank you for looking back to help us coming behind you!Ā 

The 3-year track is amazing, I love it. Having only 2-3 classes a semester really allows you to absorb the information. I currently work 3 to 5Ā days a week, and I will be going contingent during my second year.Ā The 2-year students have a full scheduleĀ andĀ studyĀ every day. They have 5-6 classes a semester 4-5 days a week. They still have time to do other things like go out with friends, but it's not as easy for them to take a day off from studying. If you don't mind taking an extra year, I would recommend the 3-year. I responded in a previous commentĀ on the interview!

10 minutes ago, Potatolife said:

The 3-year track is amazing, I love it. Having only 2-3 classes a semester really allows you to absorb the information. I currently work 3 to 5Ā days a week, and I will be going contingent during my second year.Ā The 2-year students have a full scheduleĀ andĀ studyĀ every day. They have 5-6 classes a semester 4-5 days a week. They still have time to do other things like go out with friends, but it's not as easy for them to take a day off from studying. If you don't mind taking an extra year, I would recommend the 3-year. I responded in a previous commentĀ on the interview!

Ā 

10 minutes ago, Potatolife said:

Ā 

Potatolife,Ā thank you for the valuableĀ information.

On 1/28/2020 at 10:44 PM, Potatolife said:

Hey PotatoLife,Ā 

If you donā€™t mind me asking, why are you choosing to go contingent your 2nd year? Looking at their curriculum for the 3 year, I do see that 2nd year is probably more challenging. Have you heard working full time and doing 2nd year is too much?Ā 
Iā€™m really hoping for the 3 year program thatā€™s why Iā€™m asking.

Thank you

20 minutes ago, HopefulPA12 said:

Hey PotatoLife,Ā 

If you donā€™t mind me asking, why are you choosing to go contingent your 2nd year? Looking at their curriculum for the 3 year, I do see that 2nd year is probably more challenging. Have you heard working full time and doing 2nd year is too much?Ā 
Iā€™m really hoping for the 3 year program thatā€™s why Iā€™m asking.

Thank you

The faculty recommendsĀ we go contingent our second year or don't work at all. This is because we're in class approximately 13 hours a week, 3 to 4 days a week, and the course load is much heavier than the first year. Most students prefer the 2-year program, so you shouldn't have a problem getting the 3-year lolĀ