Doctor of medical science

On 1/30/2019 at 5:31 PM, EMT-P.A said:

Hi guys! 

I was just offered an interview invite for a 36 month program to obtain a master of pa medicine and doctor of medicine. (Lynchburg university)

What are your thoughts on doctor of medicine? Is it worth getting? 

I'm a supporter of the DMSc, but I wouldn't do a 36 month program to get it. If you do a 24 month program, you can get a job and then work on the DMSc while you're making money instead of waiting another year.

One of the variables for me would be age. If I was in my early/mid twenties and I was offered an acceptance I would probably take it. As a married 30 year old looking to have kids at some point, I would probably pass it up and pursue it later when I am working. So your situation may dictate as to what is best for you to do. 

15 hours ago, fishbum said:

I'm a supporter of the DMSc, but I wouldn't do a 36 month program to get it. If you do a 24 month program, you can get a job and then work on the DMSc while you're making money instead of waiting another year.

With this program, the DMSc is an extra 9 months long and you do get paid something, like an intern salary, def not full-blown PA salary. You gain more specialized experience and your salary would cover at least tuition and minimal living. The extra 9 months to me is worth it in the long run for you career. Do it all at once, vs. waiting a few years and then going back? Let's be honest, who would go back to school once they have been practicing for a while.  Just my 2 cents

6 minutes ago, HopeToBePAC said:

I'm not fond of how they made this a thing... the PA degree is two-three years, and a masters degree. I don't see the benefits of changing it and turning it into a doctorate to be quite honest.

you will be competing with NPs with DNPs. This degree, set up as a clinical doctorate, basically puts you on an even playing field with DNPs in the mind of some HR flunky who only understands highest degree and has no clue about the differences in education between a PA and an NP. .George Fox university in Oregon will offer an entry level doctorate in the near future.

• Administrator
16 hours ago, EMEDPA said:

nope, it is the shape of things to come. Every PA program will likely offer an entry level doctorate within a decade.

Lawyers have had an entry-level doctorate forever.  It's not just nurse practitioners and the DNP... DPT, PharmD, and much much more...

To anyone who disagrees with a PA doctorate, I recommend looking at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_doctoral_degrees_in_the_US#Professional_doctorates and noting 1) How many of those degrees originated more recently than 1990, and 2) How many of those are healthcare related.

Archived