NHSC Scholarship 2019

A little delayed, but I received a counter signature early last week! Haven’t received the official email yet; I think that comes closer to the end of the month. For those  who are curious of how to tell if you have a counter signature, it’s viewable on the last page of the contract when you download a copy from the portal. Not sure if all of the counter signs have been sent out yet. 

If other scholars are interested, there’s a Facebook group that recipients have been using to network... It says “Dental Scholars” but it’s really for everyone 🙂 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1820397311536409/

• 2 months later...
On 4/5/2019 at 9:15 AM, Ejohns20 said:

After taking a stab at the application the first night: 

As I've seen be a problem previously (through previous years' threads), there is a discrepancy between the BHW (<2,500 characters) and the program guide (<500 words) on the length of the essays.

Also, it says in the program guide to attach an unofficial transcript of the last institution attended AND your current institution, yet, on BHW it only allows for one transcript attachment. Any insight on either of these points guys?

Hello there,

I really appreciate you starting this thread. 👍 I am looking to apply for next year but I have some questions. I'm a little but confused about what "current institution" means. If I apply before the first year of PA school, how can I submit a transcript for that? By "current institution," is that assuming some prerequisites are still being taken elsewhere prior to the start of class - besides the university you obtained your BS degree?

Thanks for helping me understand this in advance!

Have a great day! 🙂 

20 hours ago, IheartPA said:

Hello there,

I really appreciate you starting this thread. 👍 I am looking to apply for next year but I have some questions. I'm a little but confused about what "current institution" means. If I apply before the first year of PA school, how can I submit a transcript for that? By "current institution," is that assuming some prerequisites are still being taken elsewhere prior to the start of class - besides the university you obtained your BS degree?

Thanks for helping me understand this in advance!

Have a great day! 🙂 

Thanks for your thanks! If I remember correctly, I waited until I have definitely chosen my PA school and had them send a blank transcript, just showing that I am enrolled but not started classes yet. Plus my BS transcript. 

I'm pretty sure that as long as you get your app in before the deadline then you're scored the same. (no benefit to applying early)

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi there! 

I will be applying for the scholarship for this cycle (2020) and starting my PA program in July. I have my academic LOR writer chosen already but am stuck between a Physician practicing women's health within primary care and a Physician Assistant practicing family medicine for my non-academic LOR. I did a summer internship under the PA and we worked with underserved communities BUT this PA is pretty flakey and has a history of insurance issues,etc and I am not sure how great his letter would be in this situation. The Physician is super trustworthy and I have known him a very long time and know that he will for sure write a great letter for me but am worried since he does not have experience with underserved communities. I am trying to be as competitive as possible of course so was hoping to get some insight! If anyone has advice- I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

• 2 months later...
On 5/20/2019 at 10:01 AM, SergioPA said:

Should I be worried that I did not put my discipline or the last 4 digits of my SSN on all my supporting documentation? I barely read that on the NHSC site and I already submitted my application 

Hi, I have applied to the NHSC scholarship for 2020-2021 and I just realized that I did not put any of that on my supporting documents either. I assumed all your information would stay within your application and completely forgot about reading that. Were you disqualified for not doing this on your application last year?

• 7 months later...
On 1/18/2019 at 2:59 PM, Ejohns20 said:

Hi all! Starting this thread because I see some inquiries for the 2019 cycle being tacked on to the 2018 thread so I thought I'd start a new one. I believe applications for those of us starting our programs this year won't open until March and be due in May, but correct me if I'm wrong. 

Let's do this!!

Signed, NHSC hopeful starting her program in AZ in August 2019

Does anyone know exactly when it opens and closes? If it closes in May I don't know when I would apply as I wouldn't find be accepted to PA school until September - December. Unless I would just apply a few months after acceptance.