NHSC Scholarship 2019

Hi all! Starting this thread because I see some inquiries for the 2019 cycle being tacked on to the 2018 thread so I thought I'd start a new one. I believe applications for those of us starting our programs this year won't open until March and be due in May, but correct me if I'm wrong. 

Let's do this!!

Signed, NHSC hopeful starting her program in AZ in August 2019

@kmelton25 from what I understand, the number of scholarships given depends on how much funding they get from the gov't that particular year. Page 12 of this doc breaks it down by year https://nhsc.hrsa.gov/downloads/scholarships/nhsc-scholarship-application-program-guidance.pdf

I heard a rumor that at one point way back in the day they gave it to anyone who applied but now it's obviously way competitive. I'm scared that this year it'll be cut deep

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

After taking a stab at the application the first night: 

As I've seen be a problem previously (through previous years' threads), there is a discrepancy between the BHW (<2,500 characters) and the program guide (<500 words) on the length of the essays.

Also, it says in the program guide to attach an unofficial transcript of the last institution attended AND your current institution, yet, on BHW it only allows for one transcript attachment. Any insight on either of these points guys?

On 4/5/2019 at 12:15 PM, Ejohns20 said:

After taking a stab at the application the first night: 

As I've seen be a problem previously (through previous years' threads), there is a discrepancy between the BHW (<2,500 characters) and the program guide (<500 words) on the length of the essays.

Also, it says in the program guide to attach an unofficial transcript of the last institution attended AND your current institution, yet, on BHW it only allows for one transcript attachment. Any insight on either of these points guys?

BHW allows you to upload additional supporting documents, so upload your additional transcript attachments that way. 

16 hours ago, msfpa01 said:

BHW allows you to upload additional supporting documents, so upload your additional transcript attachments that way. 

Thanks for your response! There's only one slot for an additional supporting document and I am planning on using that for EFN verification.

2 hours ago, hailstones said:

Hey everyone! 

As for the specialty options, you can choose things like pediatrics, family med, psychiatry, women's health, etc. Are these all applicable for PA NHSC? In other words, are they all "primary care" in their eyes?

On page 43 of the program guide, "primary health services," is defined as: "Health services regarding family medicine, internal medicine, pediatrics, obstetrics and gynecology, dentistry, or behavioral/mental health that are provided by physicians or other health professionals."

Hey ya'll!

On the degree information, where you have to put in the start and end dates, the application won't accept my dates because my program starts before July (it starts in June). Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do here, or have had this problem before? I could just put in the date for the fall semester as my start date, and leave the summer semester out? Should I just shift my program start date to whatever it will accept, or is this piece of the application very important?

Thanks for your help! 

Guest thatgirlonabike
On 4/10/2019 at 12:16 PM, KSgirl said:

Hey ya'll!

On the degree information, where you have to put in the start and end dates, the application won't accept my dates because my program starts before July (it starts in June). Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do here, or have had this problem before? I could just put in the date for the fall semester as my start date, and leave the summer semester out? Should I just shift my program start date to whatever it will accept, or is this piece of the application very important?

Thanks for your help! 

It says right above what the dates they consider the terms.  It's like August through June or something like that.  I just plugged their dates that were closest to my school's calendar. 

• 3 weeks later...
Guest thatgirlonabike
On 5/7/2019 at 8:35 PM, lschwart10 said:

Hi all,

I sent the verification form to my schools financial aid office and they replied that their PA program does not participate in the program. Anybody and any experience with this situation?

I sent it to my program manager and she filled it out for me.  

Edited by thatgirlonabike