Jump to content
Ejohns20

NHSC Scholarship 2019

Recommended Posts

Hi all! Starting this thread because I see some inquiries for the 2019 cycle being tacked on to the 2018 thread so I thought I'd start a new one. I believe applications for those of us starting our programs this year won't open until March and be due in May, but correct me if I'm wrong. 

Let's do this!!

Signed, NHSC hopeful starting her program in AZ in August 2019

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds right to me based on the research I’ve done! Do you have any idea about how many of these scholarships are given out a year? I know they’re so competitive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Following! Recently accepted as well and looking into this as an option. I've read that the Loan Repayment Program might be better because it's easier to get into and has more locations to choose from. Can anyone confirm this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@kmelton25 from what I understand, the number of scholarships given depends on how much funding they get from the gov't that particular year. Page 12 of this doc breaks it down by year https://nhsc.hrsa.gov/downloads/scholarships/nhsc-scholarship-application-program-guidance.pdf

I heard a rumor that at one point way back in the day they gave it to anyone who applied but now it's obviously way competitive. I'm scared that this year it'll be cut deep

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey all! My program begins September 2019 and I am really excited to apply. Anyone know when the application opens for this year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think from what I have read in the past years forums it is around the beginning of March but I wonder if it will be delayed this year.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JohnnyLAX9 said:

I think from what I have read in the past years forums it is around the beginning of March but I wonder if it will be delayed this year.

Oh, I hope not! Thank you for the response!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Following, does anybody know of any similar scholarships beside the VA one and military branches?

Edited by jgw97
typeo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello, does anyone know when the NHSC Scholarship Application will open this year? It seems like it opened around March 0th last year. Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went to the site and it still says currently closed.. :

any word when the app cycle for this opens?

 

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi there!

I will be applying to the NHSC Scholarship program. Can anyone give me the Pros/Cons of the program and why you are applying?

I would love to talk to someone who is in the program/has finished the program. Please let me know if you can chat!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After taking a stab at the application the first night: 

As I've seen be a problem previously (through previous years' threads), there is a discrepancy between the BHW (<2,500 characters) and the program guide (<500 words) on the length of the essays.

Also, it says in the program guide to attach an unofficial transcript of the last institution attended AND your current institution, yet, on BHW it only allows for one transcript attachment. Any insight on either of these points guys?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/5/2019 at 12:15 PM, Ejohns20 said:

After taking a stab at the application the first night: 

As I've seen be a problem previously (through previous years' threads), there is a discrepancy between the BHW (<2,500 characters) and the program guide (<500 words) on the length of the essays.

Also, it says in the program guide to attach an unofficial transcript of the last institution attended AND your current institution, yet, on BHW it only allows for one transcript attachment. Any insight on either of these points guys?

BHW allows you to upload additional supporting documents, so upload your additional transcript attachments that way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey everyone! 

As for the specialty options, you can choose things like pediatrics, family med, psychiatry, women's health, etc. Are these all applicable for PA NHSC? In other words, are they all "primary care" in their eyes?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, msfpa01 said:

BHW allows you to upload additional supporting documents, so upload your additional transcript attachments that way. 

Thanks for your response! There's only one slot for an additional supporting document and I am planning on using that for EFN verification.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hailstones said:

Hey everyone! 

As for the specialty options, you can choose things like pediatrics, family med, psychiatry, women's health, etc. Are these all applicable for PA NHSC? In other words, are they all "primary care" in their eyes?

On page 43 of the program guide, "primary health services," is defined as: "Health services regarding family medicine, internal medicine, pediatrics, obstetrics and gynecology, dentistry, or behavioral/mental health that are provided by physicians or other health professionals."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey ya'll!

On the degree information, where you have to put in the start and end dates, the application won't accept my dates because my program starts before July (it starts in June). Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do here, or have had this problem before? I could just put in the date for the fall semester as my start date, and leave the summer semester out? Should I just shift my program start date to whatever it will accept, or is this piece of the application very important?

Thanks for your help! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/10/2019 at 12:16 PM, KSgirl said:

Hey ya'll!

On the degree information, where you have to put in the start and end dates, the application won't accept my dates because my program starts before July (it starts in June). Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do here, or have had this problem before? I could just put in the date for the fall semester as my start date, and leave the summer semester out? Should I just shift my program start date to whatever it will accept, or is this piece of the application very important?

Thanks for your help! 

It says right above what the dates they consider the terms.  It's like August through June or something like that.  I just plugged their dates that were closest to my school's calendar. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, thatgirlonabike said:

It says right above what the dates they consider the terms.  It's like August through June or something like that.  I just plugged their dates that were closest to my school's calendar. 

Thank you for your help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all,

I sent the verification form to my schools financial aid office and they replied that their PA program does not participate in the program. Anybody and any experience with this situation?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/7/2019 at 8:35 PM, lschwart10 said:

Hi all,

I sent the verification form to my schools financial aid office and they replied that their PA program does not participate in the program. Anybody and any experience with this situation?

I sent it to my program manager and she filled it out for me.  

Edited by thatgirlonabike
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Similar Content

    • By moleashish
      So, you have been accepted to HSCP. Yay! Congrats! Go celebrate (reasonably of course). Then what to do,
      Here is what I have been learning over the course of 3 months of not getting paid. I fixed most of the issues now, so hoping to start getting paid the next pay period. 
      Step 1. Get your Military ID made, ASAP. 
      Step 2. Set up mypay account. It's a pain, however once you have your military ID, do yourself a favor and invest in a CAC card reader. You will be able to set up you mypay yourself. 
      Step 3. Update Bank info on mypay. Very Important. (For some reason PSD still hasn't gotten any info about my bank account even after 2nd submission of my paperwork). 
      Step 4. Hope and pray PSD gets these info including your BAH and start paying you.
       
    • By Rudeboyirie
      Hello prospective NHSC scholars!
      I noticed the scholarship application has officially opened. Looks like the deadline is May 10th. Just thought I'd get an official thread going so we can all chat about the application process and share any updates any of us may potentially get!
      Fingers crossed, good luck everyone!
    • By rfinch
      Hey everyone,
      I'm in the process of starting my essays for this year's NHSC scholarship and was wondering if anyone had advice on how they approached the essays. My specific questions are highlighted below.
      1) How specific were you in outlining your future career plans for the essay on the NHSC mission? Did you list HPSA sites and/or non-profit organizations you were interested in affiliating with? 
      2) How did you approach the essay regarding your commitment to working in primary care? Did you take a narrative approach regarding life events or circumstances that led you to pursue a career in primary care, a philosophical approach rationalizing the importance of primary care, a combination of the two, or something altogether different?
      Thanks in advance for any help!
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More