Any Value in Obtaining a Dual MPH/MPAS?

Hello, 

The school I’m attending next year offers a dual degree plan for obtaining a Masters in Public Health along with the MPAS degree. It’s about 30 additional credit hours (all online) and 13,000 added onto tuition. I thought I would seek the advice of practicing PAs in trying to see if there’s any value to considering this option. 

Thank you! 

I have the dual degree. Hasn't made a difference and I've not used it to date. Originally I intended to do more, but life makes some interesting turns. Make sure it is accredited especially if you intend to use it internationally with NGOs and like WHO, otherwise, it's another 30 hrs and $$$ and only applicable in the USA.

12 minutes ago, GetMeOuttaThisMess said:

But not the one that you’ll need to stay credentialed/practice medicine due to degree creep but I digress...

not this year...I imagine any health based doctorate will work just fine in the future( DHSc, DrPH, DMSc, PhD, etc). 

Dual degree here.

Very few instances where it might be helpful (i.e coloquially if you want to do Drs w/o borders they won't take PAs but will take an MPH and you *might* be able to use some clinical acumen if they are desperate or someplace like the CDC prefers it).

Otherwise, if you really want the MPH, let a future employer pay for it.

I am one of the few that feel like I use mine (clinically) and feel it DID help me negotiate a higher salary/land the job over other candidates but it is VERY speciality specific and it's certainly not necessary.

On 11/19/2018 at 10:20 PM, rev ronin said:

It may give you more opportunities, such as for academic centers, faculty positions, or with MSF, but I have very low confidence that it will pay for itself in increased salary.

On 11/19/2018 at 8:30 PM, lctexas4 said:

Hello, 

The school I’m attending next year offers a dual degree plan for obtaining a Masters in Public Health along with the MPAS degree. It’s about 30 additional credit hours (all online) and 13,000 added onto tuition. I thought I would seek the advice of practicing PAs in trying to see if there’s any value to considering this option. 

Thank you! 

They will sell as making you more marketable, but that's BS IMO.  A classmate and I got a job at the same practice after graduation making the same amount of money.  He had the Masters in PH and I didn't.  Save yourself the money and time, skip it.

with an MBA and PA I believe I have had a slightly easier time with getting hired - then when I try to offer business advise to suits it tends to always go wrong..... they seem to be protecting over their turf, in spite of my 2 business degrees and a life time of business experience.... oh well I enjoy medicine more anyways...

Archived