PA Perfusionist

Just now, EMEDPA said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfusionist

they make better money than most PAs. I don't know why one of them would be a PA unless they were a PA first. 

The average Cardio-Pulmonary Perfusionist salary in the United States is $128,145 as of September 01, 2018, but the range typically falls between $115,012 and $139,915.

and the big money move is to buy your own machine and bill hourly for that as well...

23 minutes ago, BayPAC said:

I knew a former perfusionist who went to PA school because being a PA was his dream. He didn't make through school, could not handle the stress. I think working as a perfusionist is a lot more stressful than working as a PA, but maybe I'm wrong. 

As long as you properly heparinize the patient and properly calculate the protamine dose, it’s pretty autopilot. Also gotta infuse volatile anesthestic since the patient isn’t breathing either. A lot like CRNA. 98% boredom, 2% “AAAGGGHHH”

I worked with many perfusionists and became friends with a lot of them. The certification takes around a year to get, but they said it is extremely difficult to find a job and many places will only hire those with experience. There are usually only 3-4 per hospital in hospitals that do CABGs. 

They do get paid well, 90k-100k in my hospital, and I think the average is more around the realm of 110-120k. As stated above, the job is pretty routine once you know what you are doing, so it isn't too interesting. And the ones in my hospital would constantly get b*tched at by the CT surgeons and I would stand there quietly, feeling bad for them. 

As they were telling me, the main negative about this job is that it is extremely difficult to find a job. And when you want to leave you really can not, as you are risking finding another position elsewhere. 

18 hours ago, jmclean said:

I work for a locum tenens staffing company and have a new job for some vacation coverage for a PA perfusionist.  Must the PA have an additional certification to function as a perfusionist?  Is this certification really rare?  How can I locate PAs with this certification? 

Curious as to what the venue is, can’t see the utility of a PA perfusionist in the OR. Are you looking for CVICU/ECMO?

Archived