[Inappropriate editorializing deleted]

CLOSE TO NINE IN 10 PAS ARE WHITE AND LESS THAN ONE IN 10 IS HISPANIC

• White: 87.3%
  • Asian: 4.7%
  • Two or More Races: 4.4%
  • Black or African American: 3.0%
  • American Indian or Alaskan: 0.4%
  • Native Hawaiian and other Pacific Islander: 0.2%

don't think Hawaii has a PA program. Pacific has an option for students from Hawaii.  AK has 1 program in anchorage, which is a branch of U.WA/Medex. . There are a few PA programs at Traditionally Black colleges (Howard, etc).

do you have access to the same stats for physicians(both MD/DO) and NPs?

Guest TopShotta
8 hours ago, EMEDPA said:

don't think Hawaii has a PA program. Pacific has an option for students from Hawaii.  AK has 1 program in anchorage, which is a branch of U.WA/Medex. . There are a few PA programs at Traditionally Black colleges (Howard, etc).

The 2015 data did reveal some key trends. The medical school acceptance rate is a pivotal data point for applicants, undergraduate advisors, medical school admissions committees, and medical education policymakers. The 2015 medical school acceptance rate is 41.1%. Acceptance rates differ among select racial and ethnic subgroups. White (44%), Asian (42%), and Hispanic or Latino (42%) applicants all have comparatively similar acceptance rates. African American or Black applicants have a lower acceptance rate of 34%.

image.png.af018c4f6b275a60f2afbd8d3091cc0d.png

http://www.aamcdiversityfactsandfigures2016.org/report-section/section-3/

1 hour ago, TopShotta said:

The 2015 data did reveal some key trends. The medical school acceptance rate is a pivotal data point for applicants, undergraduate advisors, medical school admissions committees, and medical education policymakers. The 2015 medical school acceptance rate is 41.1%. Acceptance rates differ among select racial and ethnic subgroups. White (44%), Asian (42%), and Hispanic or Latino (42%) applicants all have comparatively similar acceptance rates. African American or Black applicants have a lower acceptance rate of 34%.

image.png.af018c4f6b275a60f2afbd8d3091cc0d.png

http://www.aamcdiversityfactsandfigures2016.org/report-section/section-3/

These are different statistics. If you scroll down a bit further it says 58% of graduates are white, 19% are asian, 5.7 are african american, and 4.6 are latino or mexican. Those are acceptance rates for each race and I'm sure whites are the highest number applying. While this isn't even representative of current physicians its safe to say that it is predominately a caucasian field

Not to disagree or agree with anyone. I just think you need more stats. Out of 26,760 applications only 1700 were African American and 930 were multiracial. 17,500 of those applicants were white. So when you look at it from that perspective the percentages from your above statement are in the ballpark. You can't admit students to a program who never applied...I think a mix of all cultures is very important. But the application percentage of minorities needs to go up if you want to actually see more minorities in the PA work force.

11 hours ago, EMEDPA said:

Just FYI, Howard no longer has a program and there currently aren't any fully accredited HBCU PA programs.   

Guest PAhopeful85

There’s always some annnoying person trying to blame “muh racism” for the acceptance rates of minorities. How many minorities are applying with competitive stats? It isn’t fair that most schools already  lower their standards for minorities as well. Look at GPA’s and admissions to grad school. Look at any YouTube video of someone who is talking about getting into PA school with a low GPA. They’re always a minority.  

A poster above posted the stats that 58% of PA grads are white. Well if whites are 70% of the population I would say whites are underrepresented. And to be blunt I don’t care about your feelings. I care about the best applicants getting into school so we can provide the best care for the sick and needy. 

9 minutes ago, athleticgingerpta said:

There’s always some annnoying person trying to blame “muh racism” for the acceptance rates of minorities. How many minorities are applying with competitive stats? It isn’t fair that most schools already  lower their standards for minorities as well. Look at GPA’s and admissions to grad school. Look at any YouTube video of someone who is talking about getting into PA school with a low GPA. They’re always a minority.  

A poster above posted the stats that 58% of PA grads are white. Well if whites are 70% of the population I would say whites are underrepresented. And to be blunt I don’t care about your feelings. I care about the best applicants getting into school so we can provide the best care for the sick and needy. 

I'm sorry I couldn't scroll pass this. You've literally shown blatant racism in this post. "Look at any youtube video of someone who is talking about getting into PA school with a low GPA. They're always a minority." I'm Jamaican, Chinese and Belizean and I'm proud to say I have 3.8 overall and a 3.6 science gpa. As well as over 2700 hours as an MA at the age of 20. Do not put all minorities into one category. Their multiple white counterparts that I know throughout my school pre-pa club that have below a 3.3.  You saying that you "don't care about anyone feelings" is sad because you're actually on a Pa forum. We are supposed to learn to care about all of our patients (FEELINGS INCLUDED). Do you really think the racism that you've shown throughout this post wouldn't fall over into your decision making for minority patients? I pray that any admission board member can see right through because you shouldn't be in this career. 

5 minutes ago, prepa1997 said:

Do not put all minorities into one category. Their multiple white counterparts that I know throughout my school pre-pa club that have below a 3.3. 

"Do not put all minorities into one category"....while using an example of "multiple white counterparts" with low gpas.

Facts don't care about your feelings.

Just now, Boatswain2PA said:

"Do not put all minorities into one category"....while using an example of "multiple white counterparts" with low gpas.

Facts don't care about your feelings.

Obviously, I'm giving an example for him saying that all minorities pretty much have low GPAs. Everyone throughout my pre-pa club works together in a team manner. We make suggestions for each other and study together because we all want whats best for each other. The face of the matter is that minorities are needed in the healthcare field whether you like it or not. There are thousands of minority patients who strongly do not trust providers that are not in their same racial category. This is causing some minority patients to not take prescribed medication and simply not go for yearly check-ups. 

5 minutes ago, prepa1997 said:

There are thousands of minority patients who strongly do not trust providers that are not in their same racial category.

If white guy, let's say white nationalist with a big KKK tattoo across his hairy white chest, doesn't take his medication simply because it was prescribed by a provider of "color" (or minority, or whatever)....I don't care.  That's his own stupidity.

Same thing with a patient of color who doesn't take their medication simply because it was prescribed by a provider with limited melatonin in their skin.....I don't care.  That would be their own stupidity.

We can only fight Darwin so much kid...he's always gonna win.

Treat everyone with respect, no matter what part of the planet their ancestors came from.  Treat all patients to the best of your ability.  Educate them on WHY you are prescribing the meds/doing the procedure.  Get the best candidates into PA programs.

Don't care about where your ancestors came from, or how much melatonin you have.

13 minutes ago, prepa1997 said:

Obviously, I'm giving an example for him saying that all minorities pretty much have low GPAs.

Oh...and I missed where he said that.  He said everyone who posts youtube videos about not getting into PA school are all minorities.

On a side note...why the hell would someone post a youtube video about NOT getting into PA school?  Worse yet, why the hell would someone WATCH someone ELSE's youtube video about NOT getting into PA school??

Such people need to get a real life.  Join the military, go see the world....something!

17 minutes ago, Boatswain2PA said:

If white guy, let's say white nationalist with a big KKK tattoo across his hairy white chest, doesn't take his medication simply because it was prescribed by a provider of "color" (or minority, or whatever)....I don't care.  That's his own stupidity.

Same thing with a patient of color who doesn't take their medication simply because it was prescribed by a provider with limited melatonin in their skin.....I don't care.  That would be their own stupidity.

Treat everyone with respect, no matter what part of the planet their ancestors came from.  Treat all patients to the best of your ability.  Educate them on WHY you are prescribing the meds/doing the procedure.  Get the best candidates into PA programs.

Don't care about where your ancestors came from, or how much melatonin you have.

I'm really saddened by the fact that you're a PA now. You make not care if the patients that come to see you don't take their medication but others do.  Educating others is forever an important component but when certain minorities have grown for generations to not trust certain racial groups because of historical non-consented experiments, of course, their going have some issues. As an MA, I've had patients say racial things to me but I stand my ground and make sure they receive the best care. Not because I want to but because that my job and I love helping others.  Everyone should have access to the best care by whomever they desire and during this process, we have the opportunity to educate them. As well as make them more open to see any racial group in the future. The patients who have shown racial tendencies to me have over time become fond of me. As well as asking for me when I'm outside the office. Instead of saying how they feel is "stupidity" take the time to learn.

Also, he said that admission boards shouldn't lower their standards for minorities. Which fall into the component where he thinks all minorities have low GPAs, or maybe low patient care experience.  I don't have time to educate you on basic comprehension but hopefully, you can take another moment to review on your own.

6 minutes ago, prepa1997 said:

Als,o he said that admission boards shouldn't lower their standards for minorities. Which fall into the component where  he thinks all minorities have low GPAs, or maybe low patient care experience. 

No, it doesn't fall into any component where "he thinks all minorities have low GPAs".  You are letting your own bias infer that he meant that.

What he said was:  Admission boards shouldn't lower their standards for minorities.

Read that again...there is nothing about "all minorities have low GPAs or maybe low patient care experience."

Two different things, only connected together in your biased mind.

1 minute ago, Boatswain2PA said:

No, it doesn't fall into any component where "he thinks all minorities have low GPAs".  You are letting your own bias infer that he meant that.

What he said was:  Admission boards shouldn't lower their standards for minorities.

Read that again...there is nothing about "all minorities have low GPAs or maybe low patient care experience."

Two different things, only connected together in your biased mind.

I'm not sure when you last checked a program site for what admission board expects but component includes certain GPA, patient care experience, volunteering, shadowing, understanding of what the PA role entails of, and compassion(something they missed when they interviewing you).

When he saying admission boards shouldn't lower their standards for minorities it talking about the above. He could have said admission boards shouldn't lower their standards in general but he said for minorities. 

11 minutes ago, Boatswain2PA said:

I don't care that you are saddened.  If you ever make it out of academia you will find that the world doesn't care either.  As I said before, facts dont' care about your feelings.

Please see above in the paragraph that spoke about me being an MA with over 2700 hours in different specialties. You don't know me or where I've been so you commenting on my view of the world can be thrown away.Anyway, I can't educate someone who mind isn't open. So this is a waste of time and energy. Good luck and please be safe on how you're treating your patients especially when a minority sits in your chair.

Guest PAhopeful85
32 minutes ago, prepa1997 said:

Obviously, I'm giving an example for him saying that all minorities pretty much have low GPAs. Everyone throughout my pre-pa club works together in a team manner. We make suggestions for each other and study together because we all want whats best for each other. The face of the matter is that minorities are needed in the healthcare field whether you like it or not. There are thousands of minority patients who strongly do not trust providers that are not in their same racial category. This is causing some minority patients to not take prescribed medication and simply not go for yearly check-ups. 

Are you going to make things up when your patients tell you something when you do your documentation? Because you just did that to me. Your posts show that you are extremely biased and that your spelling is horrible. 

If someone doesn’t take their medicine that’s on them. It’s not our job to see every instance through a racial lens. We’re providers, not parents or whacky undergrad professors. 

13 minutes ago, prepa1997 said:

When he saying admission boards shouldn't lower their standards for minorities it talking about the above. He could have said admission boards shouldn't lower their standards in general but he said for minorities. 

Yes, in a thread about lowering standards (like accepting scribe/MA/CNA as PCE), he could have said admission boards shouldn't lower standards in general.

But since this thread is about minority admissions, he said admission boards shouldn't lower standards for minorities.

9 minutes ago, prepa1997 said:

Good luck and please be safe on how you're treating your patients especially when a minority sits in your chair.

I don't see "a minority" in the chair.  I see a human who came to me for help.

let's try this again and refocus the discussion on how we might get folks from traditionally unrepresented backgrounds to apply to PA school without any discussion of lowering standards. I would not have a problem with PA programs doing presentations about the profession at inner city high schools, on Indian reservations, etc just so folks know about the field. I think the main issue is that even in 2018 many people still do not know about the field. The AAPA is to blame for this. they have never done any kind of serious PR campaign like those done by nurses, DOs, etc

12 minutes ago, athleticgingerpta said:

Are you going to make things up when your patients tell you something when you do your documentation? Because you just did that to me. Your posts show that you are extremely biased and that your spelling is horrible. 

If someone doesn’t take their medicine that’s on them. It’s not our job to see every instance through a racial lens. We’re providers, not parents or whacky undergrad professors. 

Please read above. I don't need to repeat myself. 

Also, @EMEDPA that a great idea. One of the volunteer organization I work under assist in providing care to lower-income communities. They have one NP and one MD. I really wish that a PA was working there to educate but as I'm obtaining vitals a lot of the patients ask me about my career goals. I take that time to educate them about the PA field to be the best of my ability. 

2 hours ago, Boatswain2PA said:

Not that it really matters to the subject matter—although it kinda does since we’re on an educated forum—but I think you meant to say “melanin” not melatonin. Big difference btwn the 2

Archived