Dr of Science in PA studies vs DMSc vs DMS

Was interested in going back for doctorate program. Did a lot of research in many programs. Came across the MCPHS program for doctor of science in PA studies. I saw the title and immediately laughed. I don't want to pay 30k with a title doc in PA studies. Unfortunately we all know more and more programs will follow MCPHS footstep and open up more of these doctorate program. Just like MPAS. 

Lynchburg and LMU are both DMSc and DMS respectively. I feel like Lynchburg curriculum gears up more for what a doctorate program should be. If you go to LMU, you might as well go to a residency program and get credit for it. IMO

However the title DMSc/DMS is also very confusing to the Diagnostic Medical sonographer. Just last week saw a tech with the title BS, DMS.

Maybe the doctorate of medical science be changed to something else? What do you guys think?

I think DMSc is a great title (Use the c). There are lots of good options out there. see the "Taking the DHSc plunge" thread on this forum for lots of info on doctorates. DrPH is a great option as well. I was very happy with my DHSc as it really let me focus on global health, my field of interest, with 11 of 16 courses directly related to global health.

• Upvote 1

Yeah anything that includes "Physician Assistant Studies" is a ridiculous sounding degree. 

DMS should be the preferred degree and I hope more schools get on board with this degree. PA degrees should also should be uniform and I think MMS would be the best degree. 

MMS -> DMS. Clear progression and a unified profession. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

Definitely DMSc. Doctor of PA studies sounds horrible. I really start to feel we as PAs don't know anything about branding. Who came up with that name?! LOL. 

I don't like LMU's program.  I would rather just do a residency/fellowship than study all the organ systems all over again. I preferred Lynchburg, it is more like an addition to what we've already learned in PA school. I told my students, do a residency and apply for Lynchburg. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, MedicinePower said:

If I did the MCPHS Doctor of PA Studies program I would use "PA-C, DSc" as my post-nominal. It might not be 100% correct to leave off PAS from DScPAS but I'll just say I have bad carpal tunnel.

Just saw a student on lynchburg posted this as his title. John Doe, DHs (fellow), PA-C. I mean if you're in a program for DMSc why not just use that title ? DHs seems like a stretch from DMSc. 

I'm not even sure which i like more, DMSc vs DMS (that is very confusing to the diagnostic medical sonographer)

30 minutes ago, mikespa12 said:

I'm not even sure which i like more, DMSc vs DMS (that is very confusing to the diagnostic medical sonographer)

Use the c. DHSc and DMSc follow the British convention of using the c after the degree name to emphasize science: BSc, MSc, DHSc

On 7/12/2018 at 10:29 PM, EMEDPA said:

Use the c. DHSc and DMSc follow the British convention of using the c after the degree name to emphasize science: BSc, MSc, DHSc

LMU uses DMS. I wonder if you're allowed to change it to DHS?

I think when my doctorate is official next year i'll use the DMSc but DHSc is great title as well. 

I think like the masters, there may be more and more doctorate degree and I hope more PAs can get on this ride. 

2 minutes ago, mikespa12 said:

I think when my doctorate is official next year i'll use the DMSc but DHSc is great title as well. 

I think like the masters, there may be more and more doctorate degree and I hope more PAs can get on this ride. 

no prob with DMSc. I just meant use the c on the end instead of just DMS. 

• 9 months later...
On 7/14/2018 at 7:48 PM, mikespa12 said:

which university are you doing your doctrate?

But I really don’t understand that. Nursing has the bachelor of science in nursing and master of science in nursing. Makes sense. Clear, understandable. Physicians have doctor of medicine. PTs have doctor of physical therapy. We have “master of physician assistant studies”. Studies...what the heck does that even mean?

Still worse, we have schools awarding different degrees. MPAP. MPAS. MSPAS. MHS. MMS. UC Davis has the winner- “master of health services.” Lol! Can’t even get the word science. 

A collection of ridiculously titled degrees with no standardization. Really great plan. 

MMS needs to be the standard degree. Now. Faculty will throw a fit claiming that it’s hard to change things at the university level. That’s fine, shut down until you are able to do it right. Something tells me it will change quickly if you can’t keep cashing tuition checks.