2018-2019 Application Cycle

On 9/20/2018 at 7:23 PM, EllisAKfuturePA said:

Hey all - I'm relatively new to the forum and trying to catch up on all the threads for the schools I applied to earlier this year. I received an email back in June that they received everything from me after I submitted, but that's the last I heard.

I know some of you have interviewed already and congrats to those who have been accepted!

Does anyone know if interviews are over or will they continue to send out invites?

The interviews are still happening!  The next one is October 11th and then there is one scheduled for November and December. I would not be surprised if they added one in January at this point as well.

-Mary

Cornell PA student

Class of 2020

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/25/2018 at 12:12 PM, gak228 said:

Did people who interviewed already get any information between the Interview invite email and the actual interview? Such as 'itinerary', what to expect, etc. 

Besides the interview invite, the only information you will receive will be an email inviting you to a Q&A session the night before the interview with current students. You will be able to ask us any questions you have regarding the interview, the school and NYC in general. It is OPTIONAL and has zero impact on your acceptance but it is helpful. I'm in charge of these sessions and think that they can be pretty fun and help ease a lot of nerves! If you have questions about the interview feel free to message me and I can let you know a bit more about what it is like and hopefully answer some questions!

-Mary

Cornell PA student

Class of 2020

On 9/27/2018 at 3:29 PM, gak228 said:

Is the Q&A the day before the interview required? If I don't make it will my chances of getting in go down.... Does anybody know when it will be for the Oct. 11 interview date? I need to make my travel arrangements so am hoping for all the information before I book anything...... Thanks!

Totally not required and has zero impact on your acceptance. I lead these Q&A sessions and as soon as the admin gives me the final list of emails (which typically isn't until one week before) I send out a mass email giving you details. What I can tell you is that it will be Wednesday October 10th in the evening. The earliest it would be is 4:15pm (that is when we get out of neuro). 

Definitely optional but I think it helped me learn a ton about the school and the students and the interview process. It is really low key and we all(current students and interviewees) just eat pizza and talk about what we like and dislike about the school and answer any questions. No worries if you can't come though!

-Mary

Cornell PA student

Class of 2020

On 9/27/2018 at 4:02 PM, mvatican said:

I just got my secondary application today! ? I am so excited. 

I feel so much pressure on these essays, though. ? 

Does anyone know how many people get interviews that get secondaries?

Congrats on the secondary!!!

I know their goal is to interview 130 students. So far (first 3 interviews) they have interviewed about 40. Which means between the next 3 interviews they need to interview 90. I don't know if they will add another interview or if they will be increasing the number of people interviewed per interview. Sadly I do not know how many people receive secondaries.

-Mary 

Cornell PA student 

Class of 2020

On 10/4/2018 at 2:53 PM, mvatican said:

Is there information about clinical rotations? Like what electives are available etc.

Im having difficulty finding it online.

Yea, I'm on the same boat! I'm having difficulty finding answers on the website as well. In addition to this question, I also have the following:

1. What is the academic calendar breakdown? What are the three "academic years?"
2. I know there are five elective rotations, but how many rotations in total are there? How long are the rotations?
3. Do you think having a full dissection is advantageous? What are the pros and cons?
4. Does the "surgical focus" take away from other medical specialties? 
5. Are you close with the faculty? Do you get assigned a faculty advisor who helps you along the way?

4 hours ago, cgiang said:

Yea, I'm on the same boat! I'm having difficulty finding answers on the website as well. In addition to this question, I also have the following:

1. What is the academic calendar breakdown? What are the three "academic years?"
2. I know there are five elective rotations, but how many rotations in total are there? How long are the rotations?
3. Do you think having a full dissection is advantageous? What are the pros and cons?
4. Does the "surgical focus" take away from other medical specialties? 
5. Are you close with the faculty? Do you get assigned a faculty advisor who helps you along the way?

1. Academic year means “9ish months”. Similar to when you were in high school September to June-ish. So 3 academic year is SOLEY for financial purposes. Meaning they charge us 3 years worth of tuition because our program is 26-27 months.

Our real program breakdown though is (using my year as an example)

March 2018 to February 2019 is Didactic Year (classroom)

February 2019 to May 2020 is Clinical Year

2. You have a total of 15 rotations. 10 are “core” rotations meaning required and then 5 are elective. To be honest the list of electives is sooooo long that that is why they don’t include it online AND they have said if there is something NOT on there that we would like, they will do their absolute best to make it happen and they have. 

The rotations last 4 weeks.

3. I absolutely think it is advantageous. I got to make the first cut and it was a very cool experience. I definitely think you can also get a great education without the full dissection but there is something about doing it yourself that helps it stick in your brain better in my opinion

4. We’ve gotten this question a lot but since none of us have attended another PA program we have nothing to compare it too. But I absolutely think it does NOT. We have so many classes and surgery is just one. They do touch on surgery in all of our classes but I think it adds to our education, not takes away from another subject. I also believe that since surgery pervades many many specialties and even if you don’t work in a surgical specialty, many of your patients will have potentially had prior surgery, it is a very very important subject to be well versed.

5. We are very close with the faculty. We actually got invited to one of our teachers weddings. And another one just had a baby and has shown us baby photos. You do have an advisor that you can go to just about anytime. They are assigned about 6 of us students so plenty of one on one time. They work so hard to help you succeed and they listen to our suggestions and have made modifications that will very likely benefit your class as it did ours. And as a side note: when people from my class have been asked their favorite thing about the program, almost all list the faculty in their top 3.

-Mary D.

Cornell PA student 

Class of 2020

8 hours ago, mdiemert said:

1. Academic year means “9ish months”. Similar to when you were in high school September to June-ish. So 3 academic year is SOLEY for financial purposes. Meaning they charge us 3 years worth of tuition because our program is 26-27 months.

Our real program breakdown though is (using my year as an example)

March 2018 to February 2019 is Didactic Year (classroom)

February 2019 to May 2020 is Clinical Year

2. You have a total of 15 rotations. 10 are “core” rotations meaning required and then 5 are elective. To be honest the list of electives is sooooo long that that is why they don’t include it online AND they have said if there is something NOT on there that we would like, they will do their absolute best to make it happen and they have. 

The rotations last 4 weeks.

3. I absolutely think it is advantageous. I got to make the first cut and it was a very cool experience. I definitely think you can also get a great education without the full dissection but there is something about doing it yourself that helps it stick in your brain better in my opinion

4. We’ve gotten this question a lot but since none of us have attended another PA program we have nothing to compare it too. But I absolutely think it does NOT. We have so many classes and surgery is just one. They do touch on surgery in all of our classes but I think it adds to our education, not takes away from another subject. I also believe that since surgery pervades many many specialties and even if you don’t work in a surgical specialty, many of your patients will have potentially had prior surgery, it is a very very important subject to be well versed.

5. We are very close with the faculty. We actually got invited to one of our teachers weddings. And another one just had a baby and has shown us baby photos. You do have an advisor that you can go to just about anytime. They are assigned about 6 of us students so plenty of one on one time. They work so hard to help you succeed and they listen to our suggestions and have made modifications that will very likely benefit your class as it did ours. And as a side note: when people from my class have been asked their favorite thing about the program, almost all list the faculty in their top 3.

-Mary D.

Cornell PA student 

Class of 2020

Thanks so much for the detailed answers, Mary! That was very helpful :)

Archived