2018-2019 Application cycle

2 hours ago, Terry said:

Interview was great! It's an hour-long group interview and they just ask you questions about your experiences and your application! Don't be nervous, everyone is super nice and friendly!! 

That's awesome!! Thank you for the insight. I was a bit worry about the group interview because what do you do when they ask a question to another interviewer? Is it bit awkward just sitting there?

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you so much!! 

My group had about 10 students total, but they split you up into three different groups when you do the group interview. Don't be worried about the group interview, its not awkward at all! They make this whole day really laid back and fun. When another person is answering, just listen to what they say and also pay attention to the questions that are asked because you may get asked the same question as someone else! The hour goes by really fast. Just be prepared on stuff that you want to talk about 

4 hours ago, KrebsCycle said:

Is there an essay portion to this interview?

Yes, there's a small essay portion. They give you a simple prompt to answer and it's very relaxed and low-stress. They just want to make sure that you were the one who wrote your own CASPA essay. I wouldn't worry too much about that part of the interview. The faculty are very personable and friendly. You'll be fine!

On 10/3/2018 at 10:29 AM, KrebsCycle said:

I've never been to Atlanta and I'm interested to know what hotels did you guys used when you went for the interview from the list that they provide. 

And what did you do for transportation? Rented a car? Used Uber? 

I stayed at the University Inn at Emory.  Walking distance to where you need to go for the interview.  Pleasant accommodations and reasonably priced.

From airport to hotel and hotel to airport I used Uber.  About $30 each way.  Nice and relaxing.

D50CAC6A-5837-460F-9F46-0DFD2FA071E6.jpeg

Hey guys and gals just wanna give you some interview tips.  The whole process is relaxed so don’t be nervous.  My biggest advice is when asked a question you should really think about what you’re gonna say before you respond.  Think about what you wanna say and ask yourself how an interviewer would perceive it.  Yes, the interview is relaxed and friendly but everything that comes out of your mouth is evaluated.  I can’t stress how important it is.  If you ask questions during the Q&A, ask a good question, not something you could’ve already learned off the website.  If you never ask questions, they might see you as hiding or not being well prepared.  You want to stand out, but in a good way!  Be humble, be appreciative.  Treat everyone well, including the secretaries and the staff.  Good luck!

On 9/19/2018 at 3:03 PM, amyfuturepa said:

That's awesome!! Thank you for the insight. I was a bit worry about the group interview because what do you do when they ask a question to another interviewer? Is it bit awkward just sitting there?

Its only awkward when the person answers poorly...ouch!

On 10/5/2018 at 12:31 PM, awoodnyc said:

I’m very nervous for the interview this Monday. I will be staying near the university on Sunday, if anyone wants to get together or have dinner, dm me. ?

I'll be interviewing this coming Monday as well. Third time interviewing at Emory. I'll be staying close to the university. I land Sunday morning and leaving Monday night after the interview

21 minutes ago, ClareT said:

I'll be interviewing this coming Monday as well. Third time interviewing at Emory. I'll be staying close to the university. I land Sunday morning and leaving Monday night after the interview

Third time is the charm! I hope we are both accepted. I interviewed on Monday and I’m waiting patiently to hear back. Good luck to you! I’m sure you will do great!

On 10/7/2018 at 11:37 PM, Bravo721 said:

Hey guys and gals just wanna give you some interview tips.  The whole process is relaxed so don’t be nervous.  My biggest advice is when asked a question you should really think about what you’re gonna say before you respond.  Think about what you wanna say and ask yourself how an interviewer would perceive it.  Yes, the interview is relaxed and friendly but everything that comes out of your mouth is evaluated.  I can’t stress how important it is.  If you ask questions during the Q&A, ask a good question, not something you could’ve already learned off the website.  If you never ask questions, they might see you as hiding or not being well prepared.  You want to stand out, but in a good way!  Be humble, be appreciative.  Treat everyone well, including the secretaries and the staff.  Good luck!

I wanted to second everything @Bravo721 said and emphasize that if you can't control your anxiety you might blow it. They really go way out of their way to make this comfortable, I honestly can't think of anything they can do more or better, so if with all the effort they put into this you still can't relax, keep your cool, how are you going to handle way more stressful situations in a clinical setting? Side note: relaxed doesn't mean loose. Emory was my third interview so I have a bit of experience.

You will do about one hour tour of the medical side of the campus. When they say wear comfortable shoes, they mean it. Ladies, if you have reservations about ditching those heels (I did), don't. I believe everyone on my interview day wore flats. Period. Also, I know this is October, but Emory is in Georgia. It's still hot and humid. If you come from somewhere up north it's going to hit you like a train. Luckily the tour is after your interview. We all ditched our jackets before we went on the tour. Just keep that in mind and don't stress about it. 

Don't stress about the writing (boy, was I stressed about the writing!). The prompt is rather broad and gives you a lot of leeway to come up with something. Even if they change the prompt from one interview day to another, I imagine they keep the same format. Just make sure you are coherent in your exposition. That's really what they are looking for. We all took the GRE and had to write an essay on the spot, right?! This one is easier. 

The last tip I would add is to pay attention during the group interview to everyone and everything. 

Good luck y'all!

Archived