Selling the PA profession

I’ve been recommended for a family practice job by an administrator of a multispecialty group. The job is at a family practice clinic for an affiliated but separate hospital group as an employee where I’d basically be on my own. I’m in Florida. There is currently a NP in the role, but she would like to do more occupational medicine as opposed to family practice. She is recommended me for the role as well as she transitions back to occ med. The CEO of the hospital only sees this as a role for NPs.

Obviously, I can do the job. I want the job. Does anyone have any resources that I can share on using PAs in family practice that show we are as well trained and as good as NPs. (I’d argue better, but I need some objective resources.) I can sell myself, but I’d like some help in finding concrete literature.

Thanks!

I have no idea. I shouldn’t have to fight this battle, but I will. The misconceptions and misinformation about PA practice are ridiculous.

The multispecialty group admin said to me on the phone, “I want you for this family practice position, but the CEO only sees an NP in this role. I’ve told him that I would hire you if I had an opening and was trying to bring you on for our FP clinics, but we can’t support the position right now. We don’t have enough patients. Of course you’ll have my recommendation and a recommendation from Dr. S. I’m going to send out an email to you and him to introduce you to him with your CV. I don’t know why he is set on only an NP, but maybe you can help convince him otherwise.”

It probably has to do with perceived burden with PAs. I  assume you work in a state where NPs have full practice authority?

Edit: Nevermind. Your in Florida. I have no idea then. ??

You may want to check out AAPA for any information sheets? But from what I understand there are no meaningful statistics that show a legitimate difference between NPs and PAs aside from obviously better training, which is more standardized and regulated. 

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, FriendlyNP said:

The constant PA gripe is about nurses having better lobbying power. Your own certification body is lobbying against the interests of your profession. 

You conflate observation with gripe. That is a new word you can use like hubris.

The NCCPA is out of control and needs to be reigned in. I have been leading that charge for years. What is your point?

12 minutes ago, FriendlyNP said:

@eighthnote24 your hubris is showing. I had to actually WORK with patients before going for my NP unlike recent communications grads that decided "hey, im going to go to PA school". How many communications majors do you see applying to NP programs?

Uh did you actually have to?  My hospital just hired a NP that did not have any nursing experience. 

https://www.nursepractitionerschools.com/faq/can-a-non-nurse-become-an-np

Well I have been building my profession for about 30 years. Honest opinion? Hardly. You cruised in about 30 minutes ago just to see what you can stir up bouncing from post to post just to be inflammatory. You are an internet troll and soon will be gone from the forum. Enjoy your run. Perhaps you can make another fake profile and come back later and do it some more.

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 9:04 AM, hlj25950 said:

I’ve been recommended for a family practice job by an administrator of a multispecialty group. The job is at a family practice clinic for an affiliated but separate hospital group as an employee where I’d basically be on my own. I’m in Florida. There is currently a NP in the role, but she would like to do more occupational medicine as opposed to family practice. She is recommended me for the role as well as she transitions back to occ med. The CEO of the hospital only sees this as a role for NPs.

Obviously, I can do the job. I want the job. Does anyone have any resources that I can share on using PAs in family practice that show we are as well trained and as good as NPs. (I’d argue better, but I need some objective resources.) I can sell myself, but I’d like some help in finding concrete literature.

Thanks!

OP, Look on the AAPA website- you should be able to find printable material regarding PA Practice.  You don't have to be a member to get it.

2 hours ago, FriendlyNP said:

@lkth487 Yes I did, I would also like to point out that our clinical hours are more focused. Please tell me about how your psych clinicals helped you in your general surgery speciality and vice versa 

You might have, and that's great but there are direct entry programs that don't require any prior experience as a RN so you are factually incorrect. 

In addition, if you think general surgery patients don't have psych issues and vice versa, that's a problem.   Its also about recognizing that rare sign or symptom that you can only pick up if you've actually spent time studying and working in that specialty.  

I precept PA students and most of them won't work in my specialty but I believe their experience is still useful to become a competent provider.  And I learn from them all the time - I haven't done general surgery, OB or neurosurgery in like five years but the students who've just done those rotations always remind me and teach me things that helps me become a better pediatrician.  Because, shockingly, kids also presents with surgical issues that I need to know about. 

18 hours ago, FriendlyNP said:

@lkth487 Yes I did, I would also like to point out that our clinical hours are more focused. Please tell me about how your psych clinicals helped you in your general surgery speciality and vice versa 

WHAT?  Seriously??  Do you really think that each specialty does not need to have an understanding of the basics of other medical areas?  This statement displays a startling lack of understanding of what is involved in being a medical provider......

Archived