Locum tenens in Psych for new Grad?

Locums as a new grad has bad news bears written all over it. You'll be placed in a setting that is in dire need for a provider, and you likely won't have the oversight and training necessary to bring you up to speed. The age old saying of location, salary, specialty - you get to pick two applies here. Location is locked in per your original post, so either keep looking for psych gigs or jump into something else first to pick up some skills and pay down some debt would be my advice.

From what I've seen (caveat, I'm a pmhnp), places tend to prefer hiring psych NPs because we can easily bill for therapy and psych evals. It looks like it depends on the state and the patient's insurance, but I've seen PAs be unable to be reimbursed for these things unless they complete a residency in psych or show that they had prior therapy training (LCSW or what have you) that preceded PA school. Same with FNPs attempting to practice in psychiatry.

Archived