Ohio's Name Change Resolution to AAPA

So, have AAPA actually done anything toward a title change survey/study by actually hiring a firm. Or will the response in May be that "THEY" decided its not worth the effort. Nothing is posted on AAPA site for those who are not members. Sorry, still not seeing enough support to actually promote change for me to  join or donate. Talk has gone on for so many years, with little action. 

4 hours ago, Hope2PA said:

So, have AAPA actually done anything toward a title change survey/study by actually hiring a firm. Or will the response in May be that "THEY" decided its not worth the effort. Nothing is posted on AAPA site for those who are not members. Sorry, still not seeing enough support to actually promote change for me to  join or donate. Talk has gone on for so many years, with little action. 

lol....ah nevermind.

4 hours ago, Hope2PA said:

While the vote on the resolution occurred at the AAPA conference in May, the new AAPA leadership just took office at the beginning of July. That, plus the large sum of money that will be spent to hire these firms and the general molasses-pace most bureaucracies work at, means that it is likely still in the works. 

However, I don't think that is reason to believe it won't happen. There is overwhelming support for change right now, and I think the AAPA has woken up to it. These things aren't going to happen quickly, and the changes we want to see are much more likely to occur if more PAs add their voice (and their dollars) into the mix by supporting the AAPA and state orgs. 

Baby steps. 

I think it would be incredibly naive to believe that we would see change right away. Things take time. Especially when it comes to changing the title of an entire profession--something I don't think has ever happened before in the age of social media. 

Yes, I think AAPA should be blasting emails to members for the support of H.R. 5506. They should also have it pinned on their Facebook page as well as their website but O'well. 

Yes, they should also have the name change near the top or at least be mentioning it more on social media, email, and on their website, but o'well. 

At least these things are an actual possibility, and not just stuff we are talking about here on this website. They are becoming reality and they have a much better chance of achieving this reality if more members would fully support AAPA and unify the profession similar to what NPs are doing. 

We're adults. We should understand that not everything is perfect but at least AAPA is starting to make the right decisions. 

Just received an email from the new AAPA president (a mass email, we aren't exactly buddies) outlining the important actions taken at the most recent Board of Directors meeting. They've "approved a preliminary project plan and funding to support an independent investigation of the physician assistant title and potential alternatives." They've designated an initial investment of up to $1 million dollars for the title change investigation, but are still in the process of identifying the specific firm they will hire to do the study. 

In the same email, they noted that "The Board also approved funding to support state chapters’ lobbying and communications efforts associated with the implementation of Optimal Team Practice (OTP), as well as The Six Key Elements of a Modern PA Practice Act..." and have budgeted over a half-million dollars for state chapter lobbying, advertising, and communications efforts. This is obviously paraphrased, and the email contains a little more detail. 

Looks like the new Board of Directors is already getting to work. 

On 7/13/2018 at 3:19 PM, kps64 said:

HOD voted on employing a marketing firm to search and evaluate titles for the profession. Once the information comes back, I guess the info will be discussed further... 

I think there may be a task force on that ......

I just got the noticed today, and to spend 1 mil for the research. Did hell just freeze over?  For 30 + years I've heard from the old AAPA that hell would freeze over before they invest money in this.

35 minutes ago, jmj11 said:

I just got the noticed today, and to spend 1 mil for the research. Did hell just freeze over?  For 30 + years I've heard from the old AAPA that hell would freeze over before they invest money in this.

there is a new sheriff in town...

16 hours ago, jmj11 said:

This is the reason I came back to the AAPA after leaving them for years. I have seen very positive changes and trends and a new awareness of our position in the medical fields and the marketplace. I think good things are coming

Archived